Question for Never Trump Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:33:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans  (Read 1875 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 19, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »

It seems to me that if you are a Pub who loathes Trump, the only sensible thing to do is vote for Hillary, the idea being that the most effective way to exorcise the Trump demon from the Pub soul, is by his losing by as large a popular vote margin as possible.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »

It seems to me that if you are a Pub who loathes Trump, the only sensible thing to do is vote for Hillary, the idea being that the most effective way to exorcise the Trump demon from the Pub soul, is by his losing by as large a popular vote margin as possible.

Torie, if Trump loses in November, the Pubs will never win a presidential election again. GWB will become a distant memory and Reagan a myth.

Why is that? What will Trump do that keeps America voting Republican?

Nothing. It's just that the Pubs are shrinking while the Dems are growing. Maxing out whites is the last hope for Pubs. If Trump can't do it, no other Pub can.

Pubs will forever be banned from the Federal Government. And that will create resentment and further decline.

Maybe the Pubs are sufficiently non psychotic, that after being slammed in elections for awhile, they will tack in order to become competitive - you know, the way the Tories continually do in the UK, and Labour did with Tony Blair. Successful parties are accommodative enough to build coalitions, rather than drive folks away. Right now, the Pubs are down basically to less educated older whites, and busy inducing Asians to vote the way Hispanics do, with the Pubs eroding with the latter too. It may be too much to ask the bulk of the Pub base to have a adequately functioning conscience, but perhaps over time they might be somewhat interested in self survival. We shall see.

Yes, I know. I am a good example that the harshest critics of an outfit, are those who used to be a part of it, and at some point, just broke the chains, after the level of cognitive dissonance reached a deafening roar.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »

We analyzed the Pub predicament four years ago, Torie. Things have only gotten worse for them.

Do we really want a domination of one party in America? Pubs staying in perma opposition, never winning the presidency, holding majority in the Senate occasionally and eventually losing the House?

Why are you assuming minorities will always vote Democrat? Especially since the playbook on how the GOP does will with minorities was already written by Rove in 2004. The GOP didn't do well in poor, inner city minority areas in that election. They did do very well in more well off (but not wealthy) suburban/exurban areas with lots of minorities. Riverside, San Bernardino and San Joaquin Counties in California are the perfect example.

As if California is ever gonna be in play. When Dems split, maybe.

You don't think similar demographics are in play in other states? You want to write off Riverside County? Good luck ever winning Nevada again. And no, Trump is not going to win Nevada this year. Similar issues with Florida as well. If you lose Florida, you have lost the country. And that's before we even start talking about Arizona.....

And then there is NC with a pretty big chunk of educated whites these days, many from the north.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

Hillary is pro free trade, pro immigration. and an internationalist, which are most of my core tenants anyway. I just wish she were pro life and pro gun rights.

Yeah, no she's literally not.
She isn't? Shoot.

I can guarantee you she will be more pro-free trade than Trump once she is in office. If you think Obama has done well on free trade, then you will be fine with Clinton in that regard. Trump will be worse.

A perhaps more pressing question, is who is more likely to set off a most destructive trade war, Hillary or Trump?  Trade wars are the one type of war that is never won by anyone. It is just a matter of who loses least. One of Hillary's virtues, among her many flaws, is that she is cautious. This old man, as he grows ever older, likes persons of caution who have a lot of power. Lack of caution + power is sort of like what happens when you play with matches in a room filled with hydrogen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies