Question for Never Trump Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:36:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans  (Read 1881 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: July 19, 2016, 12:07:03 AM »

Voting for Hillary.  The stakes are too high.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »

Why would you want to identify with a political party where Trump supporters are at least 40 percent of the party?

We can talk about how absolutely despicable Donald Trump and the 44% of Republicans who support him are, but what does that say about the other 56% of Republicans who are willing to share a tent with such people?

We live, unfortunately, in a two party system.  If we all become independents, we give up any say in the shaping of these two parties.  If we all become Democrats, we let Trump and his ilk control half of the national discourse in this country (even if they receive well below half of the vote).

We stick around, we organize, we vote in future primaries, and we vote in the general (mostly for Democrats), until we throw out Trump, everyone who endorsed Trump, everyone who supports Trump, and every single cowardly politician who may privately hate Trump but refuses to speak out against him for reasons of political expediency.

This is the moral test of our generation, and all but a handful of Republican officeholders and candidates have failed it.  So we vote for Democrats and pick up the pieces in 2018.

I do understand how ludicrous this is; if I thought a third party or the destruction of the Republican party were considerably more viable, I would advocate those options instead.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »

- snip -

Being registered Republican only matters if you live in a closed primary state. Neither of you do.

Besides, registration is different from self identification anyway.

Virginia still holds nominating conventions in lieu of primaries from time to time for certain offices (usually for ones they have no chance of winning, of course).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »

Ok, even I realize I sound crazy here.  Switching the avatar, already.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies