Question for Never Trump Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans  (Read 1926 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: July 19, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.

I love that you insist on calling it "your" party as though you and the ten people who like Jeb! Bush have some birthright to overrule the millions of Trumpists and those who at least view Trump as acceptable.

All you ever do is complain about 99% of what the Republican Party says and does anyway. It's not 1957 anymore - there's no "social elite" status conferred on you by being a Republican.

It belongs to the 56% (really greater, since he was unopposed in the last 10 states; somewhere in the mid-'60s) that voted against Trump; we are the alliance of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich and so on. Your constant repetition of the "millions for Trump" ignores the many more millions against him. So long as Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are still leaders of our congressional delegations, and we can elect economic conservatives like Matt Bevin in populist states like Kentucky, it is indeed still our party.

Those who view Trump as acceptable is a much smaller number than those voting for Trump. There is a large number who simply view him as less unacceptable than Hillary Clinton.

And, lastly, I'm voting for Gary Johnson (though I'm sure everyone here knew that).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.

I love that you insist on calling it "your" party as though you and the ten people who like Jeb! Bush have some birthright to overrule the millions of Trumpists and those who at least view Trump as acceptable.

All you ever do is complain about 99% of what the Republican Party says and does anyway. It's not 1957 anymore - there's no "social elite" status conferred on you by being a Republican.

It belongs to the 56% (really greater, since he was unopposed in the last 10 states; somewhere in the mid-'60s) that voted against Trump; we are the alliance of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich and so on. Your constant repetition of the "millions for Trump" ignores the many more millions against him. So long as Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are still leaders of our congressional delegations, and we can elect economic conservatives like Matt Bevin in populist states like Kentucky, it is indeed still our party.

Those who view Trump as acceptable is a much smaller number than those voting for Trump. There is a large number who simply view him as less unacceptable than Hillary Clinton.

And, lastly, I'm voting for Gary Johnson (though I'm sure everyone here knew that).

Why couldn't you get millions more on your side, then?

If there were 13M votes for Donald Trump and 16M for the others, why couldn't any of the others bring any more people to their side to vote against Trump?

Unfortunately, the candidates who were capable of appealing to all of those 16M (people like Rubio or Walker, on-paper appealing to social and fiscal conservatives) struck out. Once we were down to Trump/Cruz/Kasich, it was always going to be either Trump with his largest chunk and majority bonuses in some states or contested convention.

There are hundreds of millions of Americans who did not vote in the Republican Party at all. If you had even attempted to appeal to any of them, you could have easily outvoted Donald Trump.

This is true, I guess, and it's a fair point, but it doesn't take away from my main point that the people who want Trumpism (as opposed to simply finding it superior to Clintonism, a position I don't hold but can at least understand) are well short of 50% in the party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies