Question for Never Trump Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:26:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans  (Read 1925 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: July 18, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.

I love that you insist on calling it "your" party as though you and the ten people who like Jeb! Bush have some birthright to overrule the millions of Trumpists and those who at least view Trump as acceptable.

All you ever do is complain about 99% of what the Republican Party says and does anyway. It's not 1957 anymore - there's no "social elite" status conferred on you by being a Republican.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »

Hillary is going to win, and yes she'll be a bad President.  However, Trump is damaging my party beyond repair, and it's plssing me off.  Many of Trump's supporters just want an outlet to be bigots and be proud of it and couldn't care less about the Republican Party.  I will be voting for Johnson.

I love that you insist on calling it "your" party as though you and the ten people who like Jeb! Bush have some birthright to overrule the millions of Trumpists and those who at least view Trump as acceptable.

All you ever do is complain about 99% of what the Republican Party says and does anyway. It's not 1957 anymore - there's no "social elite" status conferred on you by being a Republican.

It belongs to the 56% (really greater, since he was unopposed in the last 10 states; somewhere in the mid-'60s) that voted against Trump; we are the alliance of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich and so on. Your constant repetition of the "millions for Trump" ignores the many more millions against him. So long as Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are still leaders of our congressional delegations, and we can elect economic conservatives like Matt Bevin in populist states like Kentucky, it is indeed still our party.

Those who view Trump as acceptable is a much smaller number than those voting for Trump. There is a large number who simply view him as less unacceptable than Hillary Clinton.

And, lastly, I'm voting for Gary Johnson (though I'm sure everyone here knew that).

Why couldn't you get millions more on your side, then?

If there were 13M votes for Donald Trump and 16M for the others, why couldn't any of the others bring any more people to their side to vote against Trump?

There are hundreds of millions of Americans who did not vote in the Republican Party at all. If you had even attempted to appeal to any of them, you could have easily outvoted Donald Trump.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »

Why would you want to identify with a political party where Trump supporters are at least 40 percent of the party?

We can talk about how absolutely despicable Donald Trump and the 44% of Republicans who support him are, but what does that say about the other 56% of Republicans who are willing to share a tent with such people?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:38 AM »

The Republican Party is committing nothing short of malpractice tonight.

The fact that they are creating a possibility that someone of Donald Trump's qualifications, character and temperament would be in charge of the United States of America and given "The Football" among other things is really the last straw.

The minimum bar a political party must meet is nominating a candidate who is qualified to do the job. Every single candidate from either major party in recent history has met that test. Not all were "great" candidates or even very admirable people, but none would be a threat to national security if they were in the Oval Office. All the flameout candidates - McGovern, Mondale, Goldwater, Landon - would have been competent, regardless of whether you agreed with their policies.

The Republican Party proved itself incapable this year of meeting even that very basic bar.

And no, they aren't going to get to "whip out the Etch-a-Sketch" in 2020 and pretend that none of this ever happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies