Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:54:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Poll
Question: Will this plagiarism scandal have any effect on Trumps poll numbers?
Yes it will go up. He's Teflon for a reason

Yes he will plummet

No. Things stay the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread  (Read 13375 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »

Vox, the New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, MSNBC and Politico. So the left-wing press is on the attack, likely with marching orders from the DNC. I am shocked I tell you, shocked.

You should check your hat. The tin foil might be cutting off oxygen to your brain.

Tin foil, hardly. The reputation of Vox, the New York Times, the LA Times, MSNBC and Politico as left-wing advocates is pretty well established.

uh, the videos and transcripts of both speeches are publicly available. you can compare them yourself. what are you talking about??

Your red roots are showing, Lief.
I did compare them. I don't consider them to be anything other than your stock political "Americans work hard" fare that you hear in speech after speech.
I challenge you to tell me that anyone other than Melania Trump or Michelle Obama has never uttered similar words before. You can't.

Seriously,
You are totally making yourself look so foolish, with every comment you make (in this thread).
Please STOP .... You are so delusional right now, its beyond planet Earth.
95% of everyone who is commenting in this thread is saying it is OBVIOUS plagiarism.
Red avatars, blue avatars, men, women, black, white, tall, short .... Everybody !
Try and maintain some credibility on Atlas ..... otherwise, everyone will read your comments as nothing but dung from here forward.

So what. Most of Atlas skews left. And I seriously do not care what you think.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:39 AM »

FWIW, even my non-political friends are sharing this. This one might have some staying power.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:45 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 01:07:25 AM by Alcon »

This is your standard political speech when it comes to "we worked hard," blah, blah, blah.

How many possible ways can you say: My parents raised me to work hard. Instilled values in me. You are only as good as your word. Treat people nicely. We want our kids to have the same values, yada yada, yada?

I guarantee you many a politician has pretty much used the same concepts over and over and over again. The horse can only be beaten so many ways.
I agree that the themes are similar, but even simple statements can be said in numerous different forms.  For instance, there are 0 Google hits for  "has pretty much used the same concepts," and only 2 for "pretty much used the same concepts."  There are 0 hits for "we want our kids to have the same values" -- your post will be the first time that simple phrase appears on Google.  Now, what do you really think are the chances those phrases would match nearly word-for-word to Michelle Obama's speech?

I am the first person to shout down dumb, cherry-picking conspiracy theories on the left (and there are MILLIONS), but there is almost zero statistical chance that this is a coincidence.  You've got to drop your defensiveness on this and be objective.
I'll continue to beat this horse over and over again. The concepts are similar. They are stated similarly. Why?  Because these concepts are your typical political stock. I guarantee you that the construct and phrases of Michelle Obama's speech and Melania Trump's speech have been used before nearly word-for-word in other stock paragraphs espousing the same thoughts around the country.

Nothing that neither Melania Trump nor Michelle Obama have said in either speech is not something that politicians or their wives have said over and over and over again in elections throughout this country over time.

I just pointed out that it's not the themes, but the phrasing that are the issue.  Some of it is word-for-word, with maybe one word shifted.  I just demonstrated to you how rare it is for even a somewhat complex sentence to be used in two different places on the entire Internet, let alone between two medium-length political speeches.  Come on, dude.

It's like if your post contained the phrase "I just demonstrated to you how rare it is," and I pointed out that that phrase has never been used before on the recorded Internet (Google it!), and you defended it by saying, "but people demonstrate how rare things are all the time -- it's the theme that matters."  No it isn't.  It's the phrasing, and I've demonstrated that to you several times, and you've totally failed to rebut my point.  You're totally embarrassing yourself.

Just to reiterate: the issue is the SUPER LOW statistical probability of such nearly-identical phrasing being used between two speeches randomly, not about themes
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:56 AM »

statement from Trump campaign...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Very low-energy response, it doesn't address the word for word copying by Crooked Melania. And of course, they don't have the decency to even mention it was Michelle Obama's speech she plagiarized.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »

So I wonder what Michelle Obama is going to think about this?
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »

There's only so many speeches people can give.  If you look at every presidential winner you'll see similarities between their speeches.  As for tonight, I'm sure it won't be something Hillary Clinton brings up because there's bigger issues.  If it meant putting food on your table would you care that the president's wife plagiarized a speech while the other side's nominee is under federal investigation and getting away with unprotecting classified information?  This is a discussion for the partisans but does anyone honestly believe that a voter's choice will be influenced by this?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:25 AM »

Vox, the New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, MSNBC and Politico. So the left-wing press is on the attack, likely with marching orders from the DNC. I am shocked I tell you, shocked.

You should check your hat. The tin foil might be cutting off oxygen to your brain.

Tin foil, hardly. The reputation of Vox, the New York Times, the LA Times, MSNBC and Politico as left-wing advocates is pretty well established.

uh, the videos and transcripts of both speeches are publicly available. you can compare them yourself. what are you talking about??

Your red roots are showing, Lief.
I did compare them. I don't consider them to be anything other than your stock political "Americans work hard" fare that you hear in speech after speech.
I challenge you to tell me that anyone other than Melania Trump or Michelle Obama has never uttered similar words before. You can't.

Seriously,
You are totally making yourself look so foolish, with every comment you make (in this thread).
Please STOP .... You are so delusional right now, its beyond planet Earth.
95% of everyone who is commenting in this thread is saying it is OBVIOUS plagiarism.
Red avatars, blue avatars, men, women, black, white, tall, short .... Everybody !
Try and maintain some credibility on Atlas ..... otherwise, everyone will read your comments as nothing but dung from here forward.

Not just me. Everybody !
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »

Seriously? and all other Crooked Melania apologists, just watch this:

https://twitter.com/mikehearn/status/755260215021432832

No way around it, straight up copying.
Damning.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2016, 01:10:41 AM »

There's only so many speeches people can give.  If you look at every presidential winner you'll see similarities between their speeches.  As for tonight, I'm sure it won't be something Hillary Clinton brings up because there's bigger issues.  If it meant putting food on your table would you care that the president's wife plagiarized a speech while the other side's nominee is under federal investigation and getting away with unprotecting classified information?  This is a discussion for the partisans but does anyone honestly believe that a voter's choice will be influenced by this?

Again, the probability of the themes is not the issue.  It's the probability of such nearly-identical phrasing cropping up between two medium-length political speeches.  The chances of this are absurdly low.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »

statement from Trump campaign...

Quote from: Restricted

Did I call it or what?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:28 AM »

She's going to get a pass on this because she is a foreigner, (and pretty). She didn't know that what she was doing was wrong....something like this will be the conversation that saves her.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2016, 01:16:34 AM »

I'm really beginning to think Trump is a DNC plant.  This is the most amateur hour campaign I've ever seen in my life.  There's NO WAY this isn't done on purpose.

Not even Walter Mondale or George McGovern could be this inept.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:59 AM »

She's going to get a pass on this because she is a foreigner, (and pretty). She didn't know that what she was doing was wrong....something like this will be the conversation that saves her.

Completely unfair. Sweet innocent Crooked Melania will get off scot free, but if Michelle Obama took a part of Laura Bush's speech the right wing would've her head off for it. I mean she was already getting called awful things and she wasn't a speech stealer.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:22 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 01:25:24 AM by Seriously? »

FWIW, even my non-political friends are sharing this. This one might have some staying power.
About as much staying power as this? And Obama somehow still got elected. Hugh and series, I tell you.

“Don’t tell me words don’t matter. ‘I have a dream’ — just words? ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.’ Just words? ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself?’ — just words, just speeches?” — Barack Obama, February 2008.

“’We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.’ Just words! ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself.’Just words?’ Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.’ ‘I have a dream,’ just words?” — Deval Patrick, October 2006.

Again, similar concepts, slightly different arrangement. Plagiarism? Can you even plagiarize a non-copyrighted speech?

It's frigging politics folks. There are only so many ways something can be said. If you don't think that politicians and those that write for politicians recycle speeches or draw concepts from other speeches, you are kidding yourselves.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:51 AM »

This is your standard political speech when it comes to "we worked hard," blah, blah, blah.

How many possible ways can you say: My parents raised me to work hard. Instilled values in me. You are only as good as your word. Treat people nicely. We want our kids to have the same values, yada yada, yada?

I guarantee you many a politician has pretty much used the same concepts over and over and over again. The horse can only be beaten so many ways.
I agree that the themes are similar, but even simple statements can be said in numerous different forms.  For instance, there are 0 Google hits for  "has pretty much used the same concepts," and only 2 for "pretty much used the same concepts."  There are 0 hits for "we want our kids to have the same values" -- your post will be the first time that simple phrase appears on Google.  Now, what do you really think are the chances those phrases would match nearly word-for-word to Michelle Obama's speech?

I am the first person to shout down dumb, cherry-picking conspiracy theories on the left (and there are MILLIONS), but there is almost zero statistical chance that this is a coincidence.  You've got to drop your defensiveness on this and be objective.
I'll continue to beat this horse over and over again. The concepts are similar. They are stated similarly. Why?  Because these concepts are your typical political stock. I guarantee you that the construct and phrases of Michelle Obama's speech and Melania Trump's speech have been used before nearly word-for-word in other stock paragraphs espousing the same thoughts around the country.

Nothing that neither Melania Trump nor Michelle Obama have said in either speech is not something that politicians or their wives have said over and over and over again in elections throughout this country over time.

I just pointed out that it's not the themes, but the phrasing that are the issue.  Some of it is word-for-word, with maybe one word shifted.  I just demonstrated to you how rare it is for even a somewhat complex sentence to be used in two different places on the entire Internet, let alone between two medium-length political speeches.  Come on, dude.

It's like if your post contained the phrase "I just demonstrated to you how rare it is," and I pointed out that that phrase has never been used before on the recorded Internet (Google it!), and you defended it by saying, "but people demonstrate how rare things are all the time -- it's the theme that matters."  No it isn't.  It's the phrasing, and I've demonstrated that to you several times, and you've totally failed to rebut my point.  You're totally embarrassing yourself.

Just to reiterate: the issue is the SUPER LOW statistical probability of such nearly-identical phrasing being used between two speeches randomly, not about themes

And Seriously makes his defense sound like people/Melania are just using similar "phrases" by taking a-little of plagiarism from Michelle here, and then a-little bit of plagiarism from some else from an entirely different speech, there .....
No, that is not the case ..... Melania has taken one single speech from Michelle and copied phrases almost word for word.
Seriously is just being so stubborn. Gessssh.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2016, 01:21:01 AM »

Not just me. Everybody !
Do you really think that I care about what other people think?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2016, 01:23:37 AM »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument about the word choice and phrasing similarities.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2016, 01:23:54 AM »

Guys,

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2016, 01:24:39 AM »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?

Clearly, he doesn't want to acknowledge what just happened, and it's creating cognitive dissonance. He's right on the borderline of being thrown into my Ljube list.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2016, 01:25:15 AM »

Again, the probability of the themes is not the issue.  It's the probability of such nearly-identical phrasing cropping up between two medium-length political speeches.  The chances of this are absurdly low.

It isn't quite room full of monkeys typing out The Merchant of Venice level of unlikely, but it is damn close.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2016, 01:26:23 AM »

Not just me. Everybody !

Do you really think that I care about what other people think?

If you want Atlas members to at least take your comments having some substance .... YES, you should care.
But if you cant admit to something so obvious like 'the sky is blue' or 'the sun is hot,' then your credibility is completely shot.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?

Clearly, he doesn't want to acknowledge what just happened, and it's creating cognitive dissonance. He's right on the borderline of being thrown into my Ljube list.

LOL.
In all fairness to Ljube .... he can sometimes talk serious about issues.
And I have seen him admit to OBVIOUS trump (or Pub) blunders, and the like.
Now Seriously ..... he is a different cat altogether.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2016, 01:29:37 AM »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument about the word choice and phrasing similarities.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?
I fully understand your statistical argument. I disagree with your underlying assumption that Michelle Obama was the first one to utter those concepts or even string those concepts together in roughly the same fashion that Melania Trump did.

Those two paragraphs are stock political paragraphs. Political cliches. The equivalent in baseball as: "we played a good game, but the other team was better tonight."

It's hardly earth shattering that there are similarities here as there really are only so many ways you can say the same thing.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2016, 01:30:16 AM »

At this point Seriously, you have as much credibility as a preacher getting sucked off by a teen boy behind a gas station. Stop, just stop posting for tonight.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2016, 01:30:35 AM »

LOL.
In all fairness to Ljube .... he can sometimes talk serious about issues.
And I have seen him admit to OBVIOUS trump (or Pub) blunders, and the like.
Now Seriously ..... he is a different cat altogether.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies