Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:35:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Poll
Question: Will this plagiarism scandal have any effect on Trumps poll numbers?
Yes it will go up. He's Teflon for a reason

Yes he will plummet

No. Things stay the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Melania Trump plagiarism/rickroll megathread  (Read 13360 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »

At this point Seriously, you have as much credibility as a preacher getting sucked off by a teen boy behind a gas station. Stop, just stop posting for tonight.
Such a witty red avatar.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »

"Melania Trump... Speech... Strikingly similar to Michelle Obama"

All these article titles are strikingly similar to each other.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:07 AM »

Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2016, 01:36:03 AM »

Reading this thread feels like watching someone teach algebra to a racoon.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 01:38:10 AM by Alcon »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument about the word choice and phrasing similarities.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?
I fully understand your statistical argument. I disagree with your underlying assumption that Michelle Obama was the first one to utter those concepts

Yeah, that's absolutely not an underlying assumption of my argument, and I have no idea how you'd think it is, considering how many times I've explicitly said it isn't.

or even string those concepts together in roughly the same fashion that Melania Trump did.

Roughly?  Dude, the phrasing was extremely similar, in some cases identical, and I have pointed out how unlikely that is.  You haven't rebutted that argument at all; you keep doing this...

Those two paragraphs are stock political paragraphs. Political cliches. The equivalent in baseball as: "we played a good game, but the other team was better tonight."

It's hardly earth shattering that there are similarities here as there really are only so many ways you can say the same thing.

...which is, when I ask you to rebut the argument about phrasing/word choice, you default to talking about the possibility of similar themes instead.  

Also, your own examples keep shooting you in the foot.

Google results for "we played a good game, but the other team was better tonight" = 0

Honestly, do you not realize how terribly your argument is failing here?  I feel like on some level, you must.  And I'm going to keep pointing out the inadequacies of your argument until you concede them or provide a competent rebuttal.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2016, 01:37:24 AM »

I would be willing to bet that Seriously, would think otherwise.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:06 AM »

At this point Seriously, you have as much credibility as a preacher getting sucked off by a teen boy behind a gas station. Stop, just stop posting for tonight.
Such a witty red avatar.
Compared to you a pile of rocks have more wit, and they don't regurgitate the vile that you spew all over this forum on a daily basis.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »

Yes I hear a lot of talk about getting off Scott free.  Surely you don't think Hillary Clinton should get off Scott free do you?  After all the FBI director, Comey stated that she violated the law.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2016, 01:41:14 AM »

Reading this thread feels like watching someone teach algebra to a racoon.

O-M-G !
You don't know how much a just laughed when I read your comment.
The second time tonight someone from Atlas gave me a good chuckle ... Thanks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »

I don't think that's a coincidence -- that's the title for the initial breaking Reuters article, and I assume a lot of media outlets do flash re-packages.  "Strikingly similar" is obviously a common phrase (523,000 Google results) and probably the most popular short-hand to imply something is suspiciously similar, but I agree it would be unlikely to be coincidental that the articles share that phrase.  In fact, it's very probably not coincidence, even though it's vastly more likely to be coincidence than the Trump/Obama speech similarities.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2016, 01:45:34 AM »

Well everyone, this will not be official until we give it a #gate name. What do you think?

#SpeechGate?
#CopyGate?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »

Seriously?, you are completely ignoring my statistical argument about the word choice and phrasing similarities.  Do you not understand it, or is there some other reason you're avoiding it?
I fully understand your statistical argument. I disagree with your underlying assumption that Michelle Obama was the first one to utter those concepts

Yeah, that's absolutely not an underlying assumption of my argument, and I have no idea how you'd think it is, considering how many times I've explicitly said it isn't.

or even string those concepts together in roughly the same fashion that Melania Trump did.

Roughly?  Dude, the phrasing was extremely similar, in some cases identical, and I have pointed out how unlikely that is.  You haven't rebutted that argument at all; you keep doing this...

Those two paragraphs are stock political paragraphs. Political cliches. The equivalent in baseball as: "we played a good game, but the other team was better tonight."

It's hardly earth shattering that there are similarities here as there really are only so many ways you can say the same thing.

...which is, when I ask you to rebut the argument about phrasing/word choice, you default to talking about the possibility of similar themes instead.  

Google results for "we played a good game, but the other team was better tonight" = 0

Honestly, do you not realize how terribly your argument is failing here?  I feel like on some level, you must.  And I'm going to keep pointing out the inadequacies of your argument until you concede them or provide a competent rebuttal.
You keep on doing that. But when my premise and your premise are not based on the same assumption (e.g. that it was political stock or boilerplate). Therefore, we're clearly not going to agree.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »

I don't think that's a coincidence -- that's the title for the initial breaking Reuters article, and I assume a lot of media outlets do flash re-packages.  "Strikingly similar" is obviously a common phrase (523,000 Google results) and probably the most popular short-hand to imply something is suspiciously similar, but I agree it would be unlikely to be coincidental that the articles share that phrase.  In fact, it's very probably not coincidence, even though it's vastly more likely to be coincidence than the Trump/Obama speech similarities.

Alcon,
I think Committeeman Kingpoleon was just being funny/sarcastic.
8-)
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:56 AM »

Strikingly similar in their deception, I do agree.

I do recall Michelle Obama saying, "For the first time in my life I am proud of my country" in that 2008 speech. Did Melania Trump say that, too?

Two paragraphs of stock political junk are similar in theme and the press wants to make a big deal about it. A complete joke.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2016, 01:49:22 AM »

Well everyone, this will not be official until we give it a #gate name. What do you think?

#SpeechGate?
#CopyGate?

Those are OK, but you have to have "Melania" in there, somewhere.
#MelaniaSpeechGate
#MelaniaCopyGate
etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »

Honestly, do you not realize how terribly your argument is failing here?  I feel like on some level, you must.  And I'm going to keep pointing out the inadequacies of your argument until you concede them or provide a competent rebuttal.
You keep on doing that. But when my premise and your premise are not based on the same assumption (e.g. that it was political stock or boilerplate). Therefore, we're clearly not going to agree.

My argument is not based on the assumption that it wasn't political stock or boilerplate.  It absolutely was stock and boilerplate.  But boilerplate concepts are infrequently explained in such nearly identical phrasing.  Dude, you even proved that yourself when you quoted a "boilerplate" sentence that appears nowhere on the entire internet (and I bet you'd be challenged to find nearly-identical permutations that appear with more than a handful of results).    You're demonstrating my point for me.  

Try again.  Or, you know, be intellectually honest for ten seconds.  That's also an option.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:23 AM »

#SpeechGate?
#CopyGate?

Those are OK, but you have to have "Melania" in there, somewhere.
#MelaniaSpeechGate
#MelaniaCopyGate
etc.

I was thinking that, but I felt it was too long and not "catchy" enough.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2016, 01:55:03 AM »

Strikingly similar in their deception, I do agree.
I do recall Michelle Obama saying, "For the first time in my life I am proud of my country" in that 2008 speech. Did Melania Trump say that, too?
Two paragraphs of stock political junk are similar in theme and the press wants to make a big deal about it. A complete joke.

Stop it Seriously.
We are talking about "the sun is hot," and you go way-off-course and ask "do cats bury their own s**t ?"
Go to bed .... Maybe you will have a reality-check first thing in the morning.
Good night everyone .... Over and out.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:57 AM »

Honestly, do you not realize how terribly your argument is failing here?  I feel like on some level, you must.  And I'm going to keep pointing out the inadequacies of your argument until you concede them or provide a competent rebuttal.

My argument is not based on the assumption that it wasn't political stock or boilerplate.  It absolutely was stock and boilerplate.  But boilerplate concepts are infrequently explained in such nearly identical phrasing.  Dude, you even proved that yourself when you quoted a "boilerplate" sentence that appears nowhere on the entire internet (and I bet you'd be challenged to find nearly-identical permutations that appear with more than a handful of results).    You're demonstrating my point for me.  

Try again.  Or, you know, be intellectually honest for ten seconds.  That's also an option.
1) Boilerplate language is by definition similar language. Neither Michelle Obama nor Melania Trump's comments are hardly new, novel or earth shattering. It's stock.

2) The reason my stock boilerplate sentence does not allegedly appear anywhere in the internet is because boilerplate sentences in sports generally do not get reduced to print. It does not make for good copy. You'll only catch those type of comments generally on video -- and only when an entire interview is aired. It's the same reason why you'll generally have an edit where the athlete "thanks God" for the victory. (Trust me, from my experience it happens all the time. God is unfortunately always and only on the side of the winners.)

3) This is much ado about nothing. Even assuming that it's plagiarism, which it's not, President Obama lifted stuff directly from Deval Patrick. Joe Biden took stuff from Neil Kinnock. This happens all the time in politics.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2016, 02:11:52 AM »

Wait our friend here is actually suggesting it was accidental?

If it was an occasional turn of phrase, fine, but complete sentences, even down to the idioms, then it's deliberate.

End of.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »

If it was an occasional turn of phrase, fine, but complete sentences, even down to the idioms, then it's deliberate.

End of.
Must not be very bright. If I turned that speech in, I would get a 0 and be written up for academic dishonesty, probably even failing the class.
psychprofessor

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2016, 02:14:26 AM »

End of.
Must not be very bright. If I turned that speech in, I would get a 0 and be written up for academic dishonesty, probably even failing the class.

Yes, I give students 0 for less plagiarizing. I wonder what her turnitin score would be? This really should be the final nail in Trump's scampaign.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2016, 02:14:49 AM »

Who actually "caught" her?  Did they both copy from a similar source?  Again accusations of plagiarism might be appropriate among partisans but is this really the issue to pursue?  There's plenty of investigation going on with Clinton's e-mails and it's far from over.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:16 AM »

Who actually "caught" her?  Did they both copy from a similar source?  Again accusations of plagiarism might be appropriate among partisans but is this really the issue to pursue?  There's plenty of investigation going on with Clinton's e-mails and it's far from over.

Thanks.
psychprofessor

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »

When the presumptive nominee's spouse lifts wholesale passages from the current first lady of the united states, yes, that's a major problem that I think most voters would frown upon. Especially since the Trump's have been tremendously ungracious to the Obama's, demanding to see his birth certificate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies