Ad-Hoc Committee on the Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:33:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ad-Hoc Committee on the Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ad-Hoc Committee on the Constitution  (Read 565 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:50:39 PM »

HEADQUARTERS OF THE
CONSTITUTIONAL AD-HOC COMMITTEE

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Members
Harry S Truman of Indiana, Chair
N. C. Yankee of North Carolina
Tmthforu of Kansas
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »

Signing in, looking forward to working with everyone. I have some ideas that I'll be placing in here as soon as I am able.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:12:06 AM »

Signing in as well.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »

Link to constitution: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=236720.0

For starters, I want to commend everyone, especially Truman, who worked so hard to pass this constitution. They did a great job, and now that the constitution is live and running, I think this committee will continue the good work by ensuring its continued success and evaluating how it is working.

A couple of items I wanted to bring up for discussion:

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly, but by my interpretation, this legalizes slavery by allowing it to be used as punishment for a crime. I don't think there should ever be a circumstance where such an act is permitted.

I have some issues with Article III, Section 5:

I'm not sure if Clause 2 should be in here. If one house disagrees with the amendment the other house did, if they don't vote for it, it fails and has to be reintroduced. I would prefer the implementation of Conference Committees to work out disputes - if they are unable to find a solution that both houses like, only then does it fail.  It might also be good to add in a provision saying a bill that isn't signed for seven days automatically becomes law. I think that might be more appropriate in the constitution than in statue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:13:02 AM »

Prison is a form of involuntary servitude. Because you are compelled to live under confinement under a set of rules, which can include labor, against your will for the duration of your sentence.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly, but by my interpretation, this legalizes slavery by allowing it to be used as punishment for a crime. I don't think there should ever be a circumstance where such an act is permitted.
The comma after "slavery" establishes it as a separate phrase from "involuntary servitude," to which the modifier "except as punishment for crimes..." applies. As such, slavery is not permissible under any circumstances, while involuntary servitude may be prescribed as a penalty for illegal activity only.

I'm not sure if Clause 2 should be in here. If one house disagrees with the amendment the other house did, if they don't vote for it, it fails and has to be reintroduced. I would prefer the implementation of Conference Committees to work out disputes - if they are unable to find a solution that both houses like, only then does it fail.
I don't think that clause ii is incompatible with the idea of conference committees, but I would be willing to consider an amendment to clarify such.

It might also be good to add in a provision saying a bill that isn't signed for seven days automatically becomes law. I think that might be more appropriate in the constitution than in statue.
Agreed - it was an oversight that such was omitted.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

Understood, thanks to both of you for clarifying that.

I'll work on language for amendments on Section 5 and also adding something about "the seven days" rule.

Something else - after having some discussions with various members of Congress, I think we need to begin critically evaluating the bicameral legislature and what steps should be taken going forward to ensure we have a strong, functioning legislative body.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 03:42:37 AM »

I agree on adding the provision about unsigned laws, it was present in previous constitutions and certainly should be added into this one.

As for conference committees and dovetailing with the statement about the bicameral system, I will support anything that makes the bicameral system work better. I would prefer we exhaust all the alternatives before abandoning this system.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

One thing we'll also need to add in is a clause about swearing in. Originally I was OK with the regional senators doing their own thing, but as we have seen it in action, I think it confuses things when we have half of our senate turning over throughout the month at a key time at the end when we're trying to finish off the session. The People elect a group of 15 people to represent them for a session, and barring resignations, I think it is best when you have the same 15 people. So I would personally prefer mandating that regional senators also swear in on the first Friday of the month (or the last Friday of the month to speed things up).
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:48 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 09:26:13 PM by Secretary of State Truman »

I agree with Tmth - the present arrangement is a recipe for chaos. As for the fix, here's an amendment I drafted (based on the 20th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution):

Thoughts?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »

I would recommend including that it be Eastern Standard Time.

Granted it is only a minor concern, but it really helps if both chambers run on a standard basis year round so that both terms and votes are not impacted by a time change.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »

I would recommend including that it be Eastern Standard Time.
Good point. I've amended the proposal accordingly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies