Is the Republican Party a White Nationalist Party now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the Republican Party a White Nationalist Party now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Is the Republican Party a White Nationalist Party now?  (Read 2882 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »

Are you really going to sit here and argue that racism in West Virginia is somehow worse than racism in The Holy Democratic Mecha of Boston, Massachusetts?

Uh...yes?

ayy lmao

I'd ask if you've ever been to West Virginia, but I think I already know the answer and anecdotal evidence is worthless anyway. How about this: According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there are more racist/Neo-Nazi/KKK hate groups in West Virginia than in Massachusetts despite only having about 1/4 of the population. I know, it doesn't match up with your feels. Facts are stubborn things though.

I live in Boston, you know, and I've been to most parts of northern and central Appalachia at one time or another, so unless you think there's a magical racism force field at the West Virginia state line, I think I've developed a decent feel for what the culture is like there through time spent in south-central Pennsylvania/western Maryland/western Virginia.

I'm referring to the racist attitudes of the general populace per capita anyway, not institutionalized racism.

I'm sure actual black and Hispanic people would be gratified to hear you say so.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »

Are you really going to sit here and argue that racism in West Virginia is somehow worse than racism in The Holy Democratic Mecha of Boston, Massachusetts?

Uh...yes?

ayy lmao

I'd ask if you've ever been to West Virginia, but I think I already know the answer and anecdotal evidence is worthless anyway. How about this: According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there are more racist/Neo-Nazi/KKK hate groups in West Virginia than in Massachusetts despite only having about 1/4 of the population. I know, it doesn't match up with your feels. Facts are stubborn things though.

I live in Boston, you know, and I've been to most parts of northern and central Appalachia at one time or another, so unless you think there's a magical racism force field at the West Virginia state line, I think I've developed a decent feel for what the culture is like there through time spent in south-central Pennsylvania/western Maryland/western Virginia.

I'm referring to the racist attitudes of the general populace per capita anyway, not institutionalized racism.

I'm sure actual black and Hispanic people would be gratified to hear you say so.

Well again, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean very much, and you completely ignored the piece of empirical data I mentioned.

As for what black and Hispanic people would be gratified about, I don't think they'd be too keen on blaming the Democratic Party for racism because they're not good enough at coddling racists. And I was simply stating the obvious. There's going to be more institutional racism in places with a higher concentration of minorities. That's just common sense. Unless, speaking of magic, you think if you magically transferred all urban minorities to rural Appalachia that institutional racism would vanish overnight. I know a lot of things would happen overnight though if that happened, and they're not good things.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »

Aren't the most prominent examples of institutionalised racism in cities? I.e. The large metropolitan police forces, the housing departments, the planners etc.
No - big cities are far too Democratic to be racist.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »

No, and neither is trump. Get over yourselves.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2016, 09:39:21 PM by who, unfortunately, did. »

Uh...yes?

ayy lmao

Well again, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean very much, and you completely ignored the piece of empirical data I mentioned.

As for what black and Hispanic people would be gratified about, I don't think they'd be too keen on blaming the Democratic Party for racism because they're not good enough at coddling racists. And I was simply stating the obvious. There's going to be more institutional racism in places with a higher concentration of minorities. That's just common sense. Unless, speaking of magic, you think if you magically transferred all urban minorities to rural Appalachia that institutional racism would vanish overnight. I know a lot of things would happen overnight though if that happened, and they're not good things.

If you'd said that racism in West Virginia/Applachia was different, or more bottom-up, or more overt, or more Racism Classic than racism in Boston/major Northern cities, rather than saying it was worse, it wouldn't have been a particularly silly statement. The fact that Appalachia is pretty heavily white is, I think, a factor that makes the type of racism present there more (relatively) benign (although there are also aspects of the type of racism present in Northern cities that make it more (relatively) benign).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies