Hillary's "Confessions of A Republican" ad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary's "Confessions of A Republican" ad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary's "Confessions of A Republican" ad  (Read 1390 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:56 AM »

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYKFRV34kY
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:03 AM »

This kind of message worked against Goldwater, but against Trump this certainly doesn't work.

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 01:57:45 AM »

What's with the weird snippets of the old ad at the 3 second and 39 second marks?  What is this, Fight Club?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:08 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 02:13:15 AM by Ronnie »

I don't like it.  The old ad is iconic because the actor so skillfully transmits his sense of discomfort through the screen: you can feel him fighting himself.  This ad, on the other hand, is just insipid.  It's a cheap knock-off of the old one--a parody, if anything.

The Clinton ad team really needs to up their game.  Using Republicans against Trump in ads could be an amazing opportunity for them.  But they blew it with this one.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 02:18:24 AM »

I don't like it.  The old ad is iconic because the actor so skillfully transmits his sense of discomfort through the screen: you can feel him fighting himself.  This ad, on the other hand, is just insipid.  It's a cheap knock-off of the old one--a parody, if anything.

The Clinton ad team really needs to up their game.  Using Republicans against Trump in ads could be an amazing opportunity for them.  But they blew it with this one.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure both parties can portray each other in this manner. Ever see Fox News ask college kids questions about why they voted for Sanders and not one of them could name a policy of his that they support?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 03:24:28 AM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »

LOL, look at the all the dislikes so far! 9,000 dislikes to only 3,000 likes in one day!

Yes, Hillary haters have no life and spam all her videos with dislikes. A lot of good that did in the primary, eh?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »

It's OK.
Not more, not less.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »

I had never seen the original; I really liked this one before I knew it was a retread. On second watch? Its still fine but it doesn't quite match up to the original; modern ads are too short and stylized to capture the same kind of turmoil and indecision the original did. If you're one of the people its aimed at it'll resonate and if you're already a committed Hillary or Trump voter it won't. Simple as that.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »

Yeah, but Goldwater was running against a career politician deeply mired in the muck and cynicism of the Washington machine.  Trump, OTOH is running against... oh, wait.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »

Why should a modern, even moderate, Republican care about someone whose last GOO vote was 1960, maybe 1972? Should've been done with an actual Clinton Republican.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »

I think a lot of its power is in the historical reference, which won't register for people who aren't political nuts.*

Taking the ad as it is, it's pretty good.  I've noticed that the comms staff wrote slightly too long of a script, which kinda screwed up the actor's timing. He rushed a lot, and it threw me off. This seems to be endemic to a lot of political ads (oh my god Bayh's launch ad suffered from this so hard. I don't think that guy paused at all).

6/10 when it should/needs to be an 8+ to affect any votes. But a cute reference.

*or the kind of people who shared the original Confessions ad when it went viral... but they're not likely to be undecided in this election.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »

Better than I was expecting, given Atlas's reaction.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »

I think people need to keep in mind that appealing to all types of voters is a good thing. Maybe this ad wouldn't work with some demographics, but maybe it will with older voters, for example.

(It's not always all about the Millennial generation, you know.)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »

Isn't this the same actor from the original Goldwater ad?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »

while this is a real TV ad, I would be surprised if much of their spend is dedicated to it. I think this was more something they were hoping would create some buzz and become viral. Not sure it has done that beyond the more politically minded. I haven't seen it mentioned in the media.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »

How is this ad anything but brilliant, especially for a bunch of so-called political junkies?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »

For the record, I would've liked an actual Clinton Republican in this ad, but this will do.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »

How is this ad anything but brilliant, especially for a bunch of so-called political junkies?

The spot could have been highly effective but the Clinton team opted instead to make it a camp inside joke that only politics nerds will understand. The role should have been recast with either a well-known anti-Trump conservative figure (e.g. George Will) or alternatively,  a youthful actor portraying a preppy College Republican type.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »

The spot could have been highly effective but the Clinton team opted instead to make it a camp inside joke that only politics nerds will understand. The role should have been recast with either a well-known anti-Trump conservative figure (e.g. George Will) or alternatively,  a youthful actor portraying a preppy College Republican type.

This exactly, and considering how far left Nixon is even to Obama now and how the Overton Window is to the right of even Goldwater...it has to be St. Ronnie invoked.

Something like "I voted for the Bushes and against Obama, my father voted for Reagan" literally would've said more.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 08:37:22 AM »

I wonder if she'll run a "Daisy" ad closer to the election?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies