Question for Ernest, Emsworth, MHS2002, Peter Bell and Sam Spade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Question for Ernest, Emsworth, MHS2002, Peter Bell and Sam Spade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question for Ernest, Emsworth, MHS2002, Peter Bell and Sam Spade  (Read 1209 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:32:40 AM »

I was just wondering why you guys all voted within the last 15 minutes of the election.  You had 72 hours, so why wait till then?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:45 AM »

forum elite conspiracy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:40:20 AM »

Tactical voting, or in Sam Spade's case, he just likes being the last voter.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:55:44 AM »

I wanted to be the last voter, plus I waited to see if I needed to make a tactical vote.

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 06:03:34 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2005, 06:06:16 AM by Emsworth »

I chose not to vote early because if I had revealed my lower preferences at a previous stage, my ballot might have become the basis for tactical votes by other individuals. Being the last voter was also a thought that crossed one's mind.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 06:37:31 AM »

So MHS did it partially out of a potential need for tactical voting, and Emsworth did it partially for fear of tactical voting by other people.  This has been very helpful so far.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 07:36:33 AM »

And of course, Ernest who also voted late cast the perfect tactical vote and then feigned surprise that it decided the election.
Or maybe he really was surprised. Who knows?
The thought of voting late and tactically had crossed my mind as well...as I was undecided between three tickets (not counting Jesus). But in the end, I didn't.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:01:48 AM »

Maybe they didn't want to be harassed by people who didn't like their vote. I wish I had waited.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »

That's not a very good defense against late voting.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 08:11:28 AM »

If it is in the time allowed, why does there need to be a defense at all?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »

I'm not actually accusing anybody of anything.  Insinuating perhaps, but I'm really just asking a question.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 08:15:28 AM »

Yes, that's clear. I'd say Atlasians are better about getting to the polls than voters in real life are, though. In real life, a lot happens in the last hour.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 08:35:42 AM »

The root of my question is not related to simple turnout.  In any case all the people it's directed at were very active this weekend, and had plenty of opportunities to vote long before the poll closing.  I was just curious why.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 08:51:41 AM »

The root of my question is not related to simple turnout.  In any case all the people it's directed at were very active this weekend, and had plenty of opportunities to vote long before the poll closing.  I was just curious why.

Sometimes people are undecided.
Sometimes they want to vote tactically.
Sometimes they dont want to be harassed due to theri votes(and as has happened to be forget of voting in end).
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 10:37:19 AM »

Sometimes they dont want to be harassed due to theri votes(and as has happened to be forget of voting in end).

And some people want to just vote late for the thrill of it.

You're take this way to far. Are we now going to go on a witch hunt against tactical voters as well? Jesus Christ people have a right to vote however the hell they want.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »

They did it so they could see who they needed to vote for to prevent me from winning.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 10:55:33 AM »

I did it to have the best possible tactical judgement to allow Siege to win. Playing chicken in the voting booth with Sam and MHS was also good fun.

Whilst Harry may say that I did it to prevent him winning, this wasn't my motivation, I did it to help Siege win, it just meant that he had to lose.

When I said:

There is clearly a problem with the system if I can work out how to play it to elect whoever I want. In a race with six even candidates, this system just produces all sorts of anomalies that can be exploited by the tactically minded - as Emsworth pointed out, the system is not monotonic in a race like this.

I wasn't making sh**t up when I said this clearly. Because of the relative closeness, he who laughs last ......

In the end it turns out that my tactical vote wasn't actually needed I don't think, though the obvious problems of playing chicken in the voting booth mean that I was very much relying on a bit of intuition as to how people's votes were affecting the election in the closing minutes.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 11:27:47 AM »

In the end it turns out that my tactical vote wasn't actually needed
You are correct here. If Ernest had voted for JFK and if you voted for Siege, Siege would have still won. So, it would be somewhat inaccurate to state that last-minute tactical votes decided the election.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 12:37:43 PM »

Amusingly, even though I was the last voter, my vote could not have changed one thing. (as I realized about 5 minutes after the fact)

As for the reasons why I did it:  Partially because I like being the last voter. (You can look at my record on elections for that, Joe) and secondly for any possible tactical advantage, though there was none in the end.

I won't take it personally, Joe, but if you want to turn into the next Keystone Phil and attack voters for how they vote or when they vote or why they vote, you can go on right ahead with me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »

I'm not actually accusing anybody of anything.  Insinuating perhaps, but I'm really just asking a question.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 12:44:15 PM »

Oddly enough, I intended to begin a discussion on tactical voting etc., and use it to add weight to the support for the secret ballot.  Ironically, I now realize that it has actually become a discussion on the other major reason for why the secret ballot is needed; i.e. so that voters aren't intimidated after they vote.  I hadn't planned on myself becoming the main progenitor of that line of argument.  Oops!  Oh well, it all helps in the scheme of things.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »

Thought so. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »

I waited because I wanted to see whether the vote would be close enough that I would want to cast a serious ballot instead of the humorous one that I did.  Had I cast my serious ballot instead of my humorous one,  it would have been Seige and King getting into the final round rather than Seige and Keystone, if that would have had any effect.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 03:33:43 PM »

And some people want to just vote late for the thrill of it.

You're take this way to far. Are we now going to go on a witch hunt against tactical voters as well? Jesus Christ people have a right to vote however the hell they want.

I was not criticizimg. They are not to blame, the system is.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 07:11:41 PM »

Amusingly, even though I was the last voter, my vote could not have changed one thing. (as I realized about 5 minutes after the fact)

As for the reasons why I did it:  Partially because I like being the last voter. (You can look at my record on elections for that, Joe) and secondly for any possible tactical advantage, though there was none in the end.

I won't take it personally, Joe, but if you want to turn into the next Keystone Phil and attack voters for how they vote or when they vote or why they vote, you can go on right ahead with me.

While the federal election was out of your control, as far as regional go, I think you just like ties. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies