Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:19:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 182846 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:55 PM »

Terry McAuliffe = Certified Badass
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »

I actually think the amendment would be voted down if it makes the ballot.  Also, assuming a Hillary win, it's rather probable that SCOTUS will rule felon disenfranchisement unconstitutional by 2020ish.

It could be, but there would need to be a hefty awareness campaign as the amendment would, at face value, appear to be loosening restrictions.. which it would, but depending on how they word it, could be more damaging long-term.

I'm not sure how it would be unconstitutional though. The Constitution specifically says "other crimes" in reference to this. Perhaps that was a mistake to word it like that, but it seems pretty clear. On the other hand, most of the arguments I see against felony disenfranchisement revolve around other amendments, such as the 8th / cruel and unusual punishment, but I don't know how the court interprets these kinds of interactions between the amendments. From my point of view, it's a sick practice but the Constitution seems unambiguous about it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2016, 11:44:10 AM by Virginia »

==================================================================================
Democrats Sue Trump, State Republican Parties, and Roger Stone for Voter Intimidation Tactics
==================================================================================

http://electionlawblog.org/?p=88351

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »

Federal Court Rejects PA GOP Efforts to Send Poll Watchers to Different Counties to Look for Voter Fraud

http://electionlawblog.org/?p=88592

Also rejected the First Amendment argument.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:37 PM »

9th Circuit Grants En Banc in AZ Case Involving Counting Out-of-Precinct Ballots

http://electionlawblog.org/wp-content/uploads/16-16685.pdf

9th circuit grants en banc review to plaintiffs suing to have out-of-precinct ballots counted in Arizona. Counting OOP ballots would help facilitate greater Hispanic/minority voter participation.

I'm really torn on this one:

1. Not counting out-of-precinct ballots is absurd to me. As far as we have come as a society, we are incapable of letting people vote at any polling place in his or her district/county? How in the world does that make sense? This is a relic of a time when the relevant technology didn't exist and it needs to change.

2. HOWEVER, is litigation really appropriate to change this? If they can sue to get these ballots counted, what are the limits for election lawsuits then? If they allow out-of-precinct ballots because of this, then why can't people sue to abolish voter registration deadlines? They negatively impact minorities as well and are, at this point, completely arbitrary. You see where I am going with this? If this lawsuit succeeded, then wouldn't the judges be tacitly acknowledging that they will be open to completely rewriting election rules so long as minorities are affected?

3. Apparently the plaintiffs wanted out-of-precinct ballots counted this election despite only filing the lawsuit weeks ago? That seems unfair. They could have done this a long time ago. How is the state supposed to put together everything to accommodate out-of-precinct voting with only days to go before the election? If the court ordered a preliminary injunction against not counting OOP votes, then every polling place would need ballots for every district in the state, or at least each county, depending on what the ruling is. How would there be time to do this?

This presents me with a deep conflict. I overwhelmingly support out-of-precinct voting, but I don't think I could support such an injunction for this election given time constraints, but even then, is a lawsuit appropriate here? I really don't even know.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

Judge orders Trump campaign to stop intimidating Ohio voters

https://thinkprogress.org/ohio-intimidation-order-82e2ee1fe643#.fzcv7lym7

What exactly are they now restrained from doing? I thought voter intimidation was already illegal. So what effect does this have, other than stopping Roger Stone's ridiculous schemes?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »

Probably means that it is extremely likely that the consent agreement is renewed for another 8 years!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »

Judge Restores Voting Rights to Thousands of Illegally Purged Voters in North Carolina

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/04/north_carolina_voting_purge_federal_judge_restores_rights.html

Pretty terrible that such a system even exists in the first place. On top of letting random people challenge anyone like this and initiate a removal from the rolls, basing the whole removal on unreturned mail and a missed court appearance is almost designed to allow activists to prune the rolls of their political opponent's voters. Guess what, most people won't show up for that kind of thing, and my guess is the challengers know that.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:16 PM »

9th circuit en banc votes to deny injunction on AZ not counting out of precinct votes

Purcell rule cited. Makes sense - this is simply too close to the election. While I'm unfamiliar with how it is on the ground there, it seems like it would be a logistical nightmare to implement in just a few days.

This was just a ruling on the injunction as I understand it. Litigation will continue.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »

Federal Court in AZ Refuses Injunction Barring Voter Intimidation Against the Trump Campaign and Stone

http://electionlawblog.org/wp-content/uploads/file0.6353179100352811.pdf
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2016, 05:12:50 PM by Virginia »

Judge Sides With RNC In Ballot Security Consent Decree Case

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/judge-sides-with-rnc-in-ballot-security-consent-decree-case

Important:

This is highly likely to be re-litigated post-election, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »

The Supreme Court Basically Told Judges To Stop Messing With Voting Laws Before The Election

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/supreme-court-attempts-to-slow-flood-of-last-minute-election?utm_term=.fobyrRO3o#.xy8wv6mVX

So the 9th circuit's emergency injunction on Arizona's ban on "ballot harvesting" is overturned as it is too close to the election to be messing with regulations, which is completely reasonable.

Personally, I feel that courts overturning bans on various things, or ID requirements is reasonable up to a further point than most other things. By overturning a thing like, say a ban on ballot harvesting or requiring photo ID, the election officials simply do not request an ID or challenge ballot deliveries. There is no harm in that close to election day, but <1 week before election day? Even to me that seems too close. This should have been handled month(s) ago.

Must be noted that the Supreme Court is only saying that the courts must stop with emergency rulings/injunctions before the election. The individual lawsuits can and will be litigated afterwards, so the ballot harvesting ban or the out-of-precinct vote ban lawsuit will still be heard and highly likely to be overturned if they draw a large Democrat-appointee panel.

--------

Note: There are a lot of lawsuits going on right now it's possible I missed some things. I've largely avoided posting every single voter intimidation lawsuit the DNC has made against Trump/RNC at the state level.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2016, 02:00:16 AM »

All the deplorables jumped out of the basket and voted for Trump?

Sad!

Seriously, why would Trump let these race baiting losers and their crap law hang around? The gerrymanders are coming, and it will be glorious.

Wow. Ok, look. Here's the thing - I created this thread to keep people posted about voting rights reform (which I think under a broader definition includes gerrymandering reform). If you want to keep updated, you can find information here.

What I didn't create this thread for was to serve as a place where people could gloat about rigging elections by either suppressing opposition party voters and/or diluting their representation with gerrymandered districts. If you want to talk about how shameless and corrupt you are willing to be to win elections, take it to another thread please.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2016, 02:04:19 AM »

Virginia, krazey is a known troll here who was banned for three months but mysteriously came back some years later to gloat.  Save yourself the stress and put him on ignore.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2016, 02:06:25 AM »

Virginia, krazey is a known troll here who was banned for three months but mysteriously came back some years later to gloat.  Save yourself the stress and put him on ignore.

When will I ever learn?

thx love
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:29 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 09:35:35 PM by Virginia »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Predictions for 2017 & 2018

Iowa :Sad election-day registration is likely repealed by the newly minted GOP legislature. It won't really help them though, and in fact I wonder if it might hurt them by repealing it, but we'll see.

Nevada :Sad I haven't checked the status recently, but there is a automatic voter registration initiative pending and as per state rules, the legislature can act on this in 2017. I expect the Democratic legislature to send a bill to Sandoval and upon veto, put it on the ballot for 2018.

New Mexico :Sad Democratic legislature might move to put a redistricting reform initiative on the ballot for 2018, but I also believe there is chatter about auto voter reg or EDR as well. Any/all of this will have to be approved by the voters as Martinez would be expected to veto., although I wonder if she might be open to redistricting reform?

Florida :Sad Floridians for a Fair Democracy has a felony disenfranchisement reform initiative being reviewed by the FLSC and it might make the ballot in 2018. If Democrats have a lick of sense, they will put funding behind this as the massive disenfranchisement rates of African Americans in FL depresses their support among black voters. I don't expect the party to though, as they are generally morons when it comes to this stuff.

Pending 2017 elections

New Jersey :Sad The NJ legislature has been itching to pass significant election reforms, but due to Christie's veto pen they have been unable to do so. If Democrats take back Gov, expect a large package of reforms (auto voter reg, early voting, vacancy appointment reform, etc) within a year. Reform was supposed to go on the ballot this year, but a lawmaker from Sussex used his sway over the BC to deny support unless they put in a provision allowing felons & people in prison to vote, which would have essentially been a poison pill, even if meant with good intentions.

Virginia :Sad By Nov 2017, McAuliffe should be finished restoring voting rights to 200,000+ felons. As I understand it, around 20% of the 67,000+ that were restored prior to Nov 8th got registered, so I expect 20% - 25% of 200k to have an effect in next year's elections. Will Northam continue this if he wins? Given how controversial it is with the GOP legislature, who knows. Republicans may still try to put the kibosh on this executive power via constitutional amendment, but that wouldn't take effect until at least 2019 if they did, due to the way VA legislatively-referred amendments work.

California 2017+

California has automatic voter registration and same-day registration set to take effect in 2017, and an initial rollout of mail voting (with limited number of vote centers for in-person voting) in a handful of counties in 2018.

I think whether or not Trump is deeply unpopular in 2018, but even more so if he is, ongoing election reforms in CA will possibly have a reasonable effect in minority-heavy districts. I expect us all to continue watching CA-25, CA-49 and CA-10 in 2018.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

I don't know if Iowa would get rid of same day registration, they didn't even get rid of it in Wisconsin after 2010.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »

I don't know if Iowa would get rid of same day registration, they didn't even get rid of it in Wisconsin after 2010.

Scott Walker did look at getting rid of recently-ish as part of his voter suppression agenda, but evidently it would have cost over 5 million in, I believe, at least semi-ongoing expenses, so he backed off. SDR has also been around for literally generations in Wisconsin, whereas Iowa only got it when Democrats assumed control of the legislature in 2007. Removing a service like SDR when it's been around for as long as the voters and their parents can remember and is used a lot is harder than it is if it was just enacted a decade prior.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2016, 11:13:10 PM »

Alaska voters approve automatic voter registration via PFD

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/alaska-s-oil-cash-now-comes-with-automatic-voter-registration
https://ballotpedia.org/Alaska_Voter_Registration_via_the_Permanent_Fund_Dividend_Application,_Ballot_Measure_1_(2016)

A little bit more proof that doing away with unnecessary requirements for voting is not always a partisan affair among voters. It's a partisan affair among lawmakers who wish to cling to power by any means possible.

Hopefully some progress can be made on SDR and/or automatic voter registration via initiative in other states that provide such an option - FL, MI & OH, for instance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, IL Senate votes to override Rauner on automatic voter registration bill. House will vote on this in a few weeks or so. As I understand it, Democrats still have a bare supermajority in that chamber, so it should technically be possible. It also had bipartisan support before, but I'm not convinced it still exists. If they knew Rauner would veto, such token support would have been harmless if they knew they wouldn't support an override later on. Of course, I'm just speculating!

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2016, 11:19:34 PM »

Washington D.C. approves automatic voter registration

http://dcist.com/2016/11/dc_council_passes_automatic_voter_r.php

If only all states could be as progressive on voter access as the district.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »

Federal court rules Wisconsin Assembly districts map is unconstitutional

http://wispolitics.com/1006/161121Ruling.pdf

From ELB:

It all depends on Kennedy now I suppose. Hopefully we could get this as a new test for determining if districts are gerrymandered, but we'll have to wait to see for that.

Meanwhile, the WI Assembly map is likely to be redrawn for 2018.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »

All the deplorables jumped out of the basket and voted for Trump?

Sad!

Seriously, why would Trump let these race baiting losers and their crap law hang around? The gerrymanders are coming, and it will be glorious.

Wow. Ok, look. Here's the thing - I created this thread to keep people posted about voting rights reform (which I think under a broader definition includes gerrymandering reform). If you want to keep updated, you can find information here.

What I didn't create this thread for was to serve as a place where people could gloat about rigging elections by either suppressing opposition party voters and/or diluting their representation with gerrymandered districts. If you want to talk about how shameless and corrupt you are willing to be to win elections, take it to another thread please.
I cleaned up most of the crap, Sorry it took me a while to notice it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2016, 02:09:41 PM by Virginia »

Gov-elect Sununu says one of first priorities is to get rid of same day voter registration
==================================================================

http://fusion.net/story/371159/bruce-rauner-chris-sununu-voting/

Honestly, and I'm not just saying this to be spiteful, but he quite literally has no idea what he's talking about. What he said makes no sense. ED registrants need to provide proof of residency and an ID. He's talking about people from other states voting here when SDR has nothing to do with that, and has protections that ensure that doesn't happen.

Anyone wondering why liberals so frequently claim voter suppression, here is a perfect example. You have a Republican who is elected into a position of power and basically makes restricting voter access one of his first goals. Don't you think that looks suspicious?

But no, it's not just the timing. The excuses to restrict voter access matter too. He claims out of state people voting, and the need to "tighten things up" (Kasich said the same thing when he got rid of Ohio's EDR golden week). What does that even mean? New Hampshire's SDR option has little relation to the (non)problem he is whining about. It's become pro-forma for Republicans to take any problem with our elections, no matter how irrelevant, and then claim that voter ID/restricting voting is the only answer. People could say that there aren't enough polling places, and the GOP would respond: "Our solution is stricter voter ID rules. That will fix the polling place issue."

And then he suggests that, somehow, getting rid of SDR is actually "modernizing the system." Seriously? "Modernizing" would suggest greater voter access and easier registration rules, not harder. Registration deadlines are an outdated relic from the past and are no longer needed due to technology. His idea of "modernizing" is actually de-modernizing. Once again, another completely lousy excuse that makes little sense.

This is why we say what we say. Because Republicans are often offering up the lousiest excuses you can think of and acting in such a suspicious fashion. NH doesn't need tighter voter ID rules, nor does it need to drop SDR. This is just boilerplate GOP voter suppression strategy. If the NH truly isn't trying to suppress opposition voters here, then they are being idiotic because they are obsessing over something that their elections are already protected against, more or less.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2016, 09:09:47 PM by Virginia »

Illinois legislature fails to override veto on automatic voter registration

https://thinkprogress.org/breaking-republicans-block-program-to-register-2-million-illinois-voters-2c975811cf6f#.vxhfpfgs5

Dead in the water until at least 2019, or possibly longer if Rauner wins reelection.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2016, 09:11:22 PM by Virginia »

Federal judge orders North Carolina legislative maps redrawn by March, special election in in Nov 2017

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judges-order-legislative-maps-march-special-election-43860290

If this order is upheld on appeal to the USSC, it will give Democrats another chance to weaken the Republican supermajority in the legislature only 1 year from now instead of 2. This time it will be one year into Trump's presidency, where, if he finds himself embroiled in scandal and/or remains deeply unpopular, might have a negative effect on Republicans in this election.

Further, given that the court is having the legislature redraw it (aka the legislature that rigged the maps in the first place), the plaintiffs may be able to file another lawsuit if the GOP tries to maintain equally awful districts.

Also, and I'm not sure if this would idea would work, but since the map is being redrawn, if the legislature continues to gerrymander in their favor, challengers may be able to bring a new lawsuit in state court, but this time under the new 4-3 Democratic State Supreme Court majority (as per Morgan's successful judicial election). I'd like to think that if this worked, they could finally force court-drawn non-partisan maps by 2018. That could open up a possible chance to take back one of the legislature chambers in time for the next round of redistricting in 2021-2022.

If anyone has any thoughts on that last idea, feel free to weigh in!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies