Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:41:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 183231 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 25, 2016, 02:36:54 AM »

The straight-ticket option causes confusion, and increases roll off for non-partisan races and ballot propositions. It is hard to implement on voting machines. It is harmful to independent candidates and minor parties.

Whatever one may say about the problems with straight ticket voting, this isn't one of them. Even back in the day of mechanical voting machines, the necessary logic to implement it was fairly easy to design and build, tho it was a maintenance hassle, and that was mainly due to the mechanics needed to ensure that only one candidate was selected for each office. Mechanically, an OR gate is simple.  Now that everything is being tabulated electronically, be it by touchpad screen or Scantron sheet, it's pathetically easy to implement
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »

Again, pathetically easy.  I'll deal with the machines here in South Carolina since I'm familiar with them.  First off, your worry about unintentionally cancelling out a vote for Jill Stein doesn't make much sense.  There should be someway to cancel out a vote if that us what the voter wants, and if they don't want that, the disappearance of the green bordered box with a check mark in it ought to clue the voter about that.  Even if it doesn't, when one goes to cast the ballot, the machines here nag you if you have any races that don't have a vote in them and offers to take you to the first such race.

As for an idiot wasting time to go back and cast a straight ticket at the end, I'm not too terribly worried about his vote, but assuming the machine is configured properly, it'll only override races in which a vote has not been cast directly. (Assuming that's what the law in that state calls for.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:44:35 PM »

We seem to be arguing two separate things. I'm arguing that it is easy to set up the machines to do the right thing. You're arguing that it's easy to set them up to do the wrong thing. This is one of those cases where we're both right. 😈
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:40:17 AM »

This looks great, but I don't understand why they have to close existing polling places. This might create confusion among long-time voters who are used to the old system. Why can't they keep both in place?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Renting and staffing precincts is a major cost of elections.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:25:30 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-change-coming-texas-voter-id-case-135207848.html

I don't mind your blathering hyperbole too much krazy, but would you at least get some basic details right.  (Indeed I appreciate you naming Trump's DoJ the Department of inJustice.) So far they've only signaled a desire to review the case and asked for a delay while they do so.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »

White House wants to argue that AVR us unconstitutional:

That argument might hold some water against a law requiring compulsory voting.  But I don't see how it applies to registration; you can still choose not to vote.

I could see it for voter registration that does more than that, such as party registration.  Such a choice could be viewed as compelled speech, even with the option to not choose a party.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »

Power To The People!

Link

Commonwealth Court Says Pa’s Congressional Lines Do Not Violate State Constitution

Power To The People!

Link

Federal judges rule in favor of Pennsylvania Republicans in gerrymandering case

Power To The People!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article193814154.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies