They did it again: Donald Trump Jr. plagiarizes The American Conservative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  They did it again: Donald Trump Jr. plagiarizes The American Conservative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: They did it again: Donald Trump Jr. plagiarizes The American Conservative  (Read 3331 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 10:57:57 PM »

Apparently Buckley, who wrote the article, also co-wrote the speech.

I'm seeing this now too.

Yeah, this isn't really that bad at all

Its self plagiarism which is still a major academic thing
I know what self plagiarism is but it's really a stupid thing. You are using your own words with your own permission.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:01 PM »

But context.  I mean not 24 hrs after your mail order bride step mom plagiarized.  The optics.

If Rapist Trump can't even manage a convention, how can he manage the Presidency?
Trapsy

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:06 PM »

And guess who partially wrote Donald Trump Jr.'s speech:
https://twitter.com/BrettLoGiurato/status/755607692354420736

The same guy who wrote the original article.  You can't plagiarize yourself, can you?

It's more similar to when Obama had permission and used Deval Patrick's words. Yet still, this is not good optics after Monday night.

It's funny after everyone was harping on the Obama/Patrick thing to defend Thievin' Melania!

It disgusting how polite Democrats are to Republicans.
swf541

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

I'm looking for the classroom that the RNC is being held in.

Any college educated person whom isnt an idiot or academic thief should and many do care
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:41 PM »

If they shared a co-author, this is a total non-issue.  Self-plagiarism is only a problem when you're being paid to create new content and you recycle substantive effort.  Recycling a story or two is a 100% non-issue in my book.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »

But context.  I mean not 24 hrs after your mail order bride step mom plagiarized.  The optics.
"Mail order bride step mom," keeping it classy, I see. If only that narrative were true. Melania Trump was living in the US and successful in her own right before she met Donald Trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »

I didn't want to reuse the word 'rule.'  The obvious rule here being the expectation of attributing who you're quoting.

The Rapist Trump campaign also used Queen's "We are the Champions" yesterday even though the surviving members have told them to stop and may even have asked for a cease and desist order.

Clearly these speakers are lying when they say that Rapist Trump 'plays by the rules.'

The RNC legally licensed use of "We Are the Champions" at the convention.  Queen has no legal right to object.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »

And guess who partially wrote Donald Trump Jr.'s speech:
https://twitter.com/BrettLoGiurato/status/755607692354420736

The same guy who wrote the original article.  You can't plagiarize yourself, can you?

It's more similar to when Obama had permission and used Deval Patrick's words. Yet still, this is not good optics after Monday night.

It's funny after everyone was harping on the Obama/Patrick thing to defend Thievin' Melania!

It disgusting how polite Democrats are to Republicans.

They should look in a mirror sometime. They might be horrified at what they see.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »

No, it's f***ing laughable is what it is. I bet you just about every speech tonight has elements from somewhere else. And next week, at the sh**t show known as the Democrat National Convention, the same thing will happen.

It's politics. sh**t gets recycled all the time.

This "plagiarism" meme is tripe and tired already.
The leaps and bounds some will go to apologize for the blatantly obvious. Wow.

I guess plagiarism isn't so bad.
Ask Joe Biden and Barack Obama about their plagiarism. But of course, as always, it's not a big deal to your insufferable, obnoxious red avatars if it happens to a Democrat.

Joe Biden quit his 1988 Presidential campaign less than a week after this story broke.
And he kept his Senate seat and is now Vice President.
swf541

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

I know what self plagiarism is but it's really a stupid thing. You are using your own words with your own permission.

It really isnt, if you simply copied your paper from a semester ago, or tacked an extra page on to it and slapped a new name on it, what would be the point?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2016, 11:02:24 PM »

no it isnt, Obama should have been gone after over the same thing in 2012.  If you did this on a paper, you'd be given an F or expelled.
The author of this specifically mentioned that he wrote the speech. It really does seem like the only person who cares about this, is you.
swf541

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »

no it isnt, Obama should have been gone after over the same thing in 2012.  If you did this on a paper, you'd be given an F or expelled.
The author of this specifically mentioned that he wrote the speech. It really does seem like the only person who cares about this, is you.

Well considering the press's view on plagiarism we'll see.  I'm not the only person who obsesses over citations and referencing  
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

It really isnt, if you simply copied your paper from a semester ago, or tacked an extra page on to it and slapped a new name on it, what would be the point?

So did Hillary Clinton plagiarize herself by giving the same speech to a Morgan Stanley that she just got paid to give to Goldman Sachs?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:10 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

I completely agree with you on that subject, but using it in a speech in which the writer of the paper wrote your speech. Seems like it's a non-issue.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

Still not the best optics after Monday night, but I agree this is more in line with what happened in 08 with Obama.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:57 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

So did Hillary Clinton plagiarize herself by giving the same speech to a Morgan Stanley that she just got paid to give to Goldman Sachs?
Every political stump speech ever given is "plagiarism" under this definition.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »

I didn't want to reuse the word 'rule.'  The obvious rule here being the expectation of attributing who you're quoting.

The Rapist Trump campaign also used Queen's "We are the Champions" yesterday even though the surviving members have told them to stop and may even have asked for a cease and desist order.

Clearly these speakers are lying when they say that Rapist Trump 'plays by the rules.'

The RNC legally licensed use of "We Are the Champions" at the convention.  Queen has no legal right to object.

In the comments section a couple people say that the Rapist Trump campaign had no legal right to use the song in a broadcasted event.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:24 PM »

If Rapist Trump can't even manage a convention, how can he manage the Presidency?

I think it's obvious how he would handle the Presidency. Just like another deal. Unfortunately many of his deals end in catastrophe and law suits but hey, what's a little confusion and animosity between friends?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »

Lol good luck doing something like this and telling that to a college professor.

Give me a f***ing break. This is politics not a college paper. Your analogy fails.
If you don't think rhetoric in politics gets recycled, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
You red and "blue" avatars as as insufferable as you are in the primary thread.

But Seriously.
It happened again !
The trump family are a bunch of thieves !
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »

They can object if they want to.  Happens all the time.

Queen can yell to the rooftops that they object to Trump or the RNC using the song, but there is no way that they can receive a cease or desist order or legally sue for the RNC playing it.  The RNC has legally paid them to use it in the arena.
swf541

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:43 PM »

I'm seeing this now too.

Yes
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:46 PM »

Let's not get into shaming women this time around.
swf541

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »

100% agreed, Melania got screwed over by someone in the campaign or she did something rather idiotic at the last minute
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »

100% agreed, Melania got screwed over by someone in the campaign or she did something rather idiotic at the last minute

Runs in the family.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 11:08:30 PM »

Seriously? has acquired the title <Ljube Listed>
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length