Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:17:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower  (Read 3702 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »

So if you don't require ID then how does it work?

In Sweden all citizens above 18 get a mail with their "vote card" and you bring that to the booth on polling day (that's what I recall at least).

In the UK, you go to the polling station, you state your address and name and they check against the electoral register.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 06:49:31 AM »

The Myth of Voter Fraud

That being said I have little issue with Voter ID laws if you make it automatic and extreamly easy that every single person get's a free ID. Which is why I have a fundamental problem with the way a majority of ID laws are written.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 06:52:49 AM »

In Sweden all citizens above 18 get a mail with their "vote card" and you bring that to the booth on polling day (that's what I recall at least).

In the UK, you go to the polling station, you state your address and name and they check against the electoral register.

Right. I think that's how it works here as well.

It's weird to me that so many Americans lack ID though. That sounds like a problem in and of itself.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

America is the only western democracy that doesn't.

Australia doesn't either.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »

You prove your identity when you "register" to vote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:24:18 AM by Adam T »

'Large portion of society?'

There are over 240 million Americans with a valid driver's license. Only 185 million Americans voted. This is a complete non-issue. And I'm not even counting other forms of valid picture ID.

I checked into your claim on the number of licensed drivers in the U.S because I know the number of Americans you wrote that voted is completely wrong.  (Note: not every licensed driver in the U.S is a U.S citizen. Also, there are 5.3 million former felons as of 2008 who are American citizens who are no longer eligible to vote but many of them likely have drivers licenses.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

So, according to this site, it's 214 million licensed drivers in the U.S, not 240 million.  
http://www.statista.com/topics/1197/car-drivers/

The official government statistic as of 2010 is 210 million.

There are approximately 219 million Americans eligible to vote and 146.5 million registered to vote.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

So:
1.Given the number of Americans eligible to vote vs. the number registered, I don't think you can make any claim that it is not a problem for some people to register to vote.

2.Since the statistics you claimed were so far off, why should anybody believe anything you write?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:27:03 AM by Adam T »

Right. I think that's how it works here as well.

It's weird to me that so many Americans lack ID though. That sounds like a problem in and of itself.

My guess is that nearly every American has ID, they just don't necessarily have picture ID.

I find it kind of amusing, if that's the right word, that the Republican Party is more interested in making sure that Americans can purchase guns than in making sure that Americans can vote.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »

Christ, I've helped a friend obtain hers after she lost hers. Took all of about half a day to get it done. I helped drive her to where you need to go. If you're too lazy to get your ID you shouldn't vote. If a dude with a disability can get *HIS* so can you.

No, the purpose of voting laws is to ensure things like secret ballots, etc. But we all know you don't actually care about such things.

Yes, because while you live there you don't vote there.

Yes, preserving the actual election is meaningless in a democracy.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »

Nearly everyone has photo ID. More americans have driver's licenses than vote. If lack of access were a problem, why is this the case?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »

Millions of Americans can't get IDs because they lost their birth certificates or never received them because their families were poor and they were born at home. It's not hard to find stories of Americans who are in this trap, and they are disproportionately African-American (think of healthcare options of African-American mothers in the south) or poor.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »

How many millions of Americans? One? Two?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »

Nearly everyone has photo ID. More americans have driver's licenses than vote. If lack of access were a problem, why is this the case?

See what I wrote above.  I have no reason to believe a single thing you write.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »

Almost all americans have photo ID. The most common reason not to have one is because you're in the process of replacing it because it got stolen. That is all.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

Almost all americans have photo ID. The most common reason not to have one is because you're in the process of replacing it because it got stolen. That is all.

Is that true for the 240 million Americans you say have drivers licenses or the 214 million licensed drivers in the United States?

Or maybe it isn't true at all and you're just making this stuff up as you go along.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »

You do understand that your number of 215 is greater than the 185 million who did vote? And that it doesn't include other forms of photo ID?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 07:38:25 AM »

Argue with yourself, your own evidence makes it clear that Americans find getting their driver's license to be easier than voting.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:41:46 AM by Adam T »

You do understand that your number of 215 is greater than the 185 million who did vote? And that it doesn't include other forms of photo ID?

146 million are registered to vote and 219 million are eligible to vote.  About 129 million voted in 2012.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:39 AM »

And while 215 million actually have their driver's license and 185 million actually voted.

There's a little problem with your narrative if more people have their photo ID than vote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:52:48 AM by Adam T »

And while 215 million actually have their driver's license and 185 million actually voted.

There's a little problem with your narrative if more people have their photo ID than vote.

219 million are eligible to vote, and there are 214 million living in the U.S with a drivers license.  Far from all of those 214 million with drivers licenses are eligible to vote (as I mentioned above, at least a few million are felons and I don't know how many million with drivers licenses aren't U.S citizens.)

So, there are clearly many million who are eligible to vote who do not have a drivers license.

I can't believe I actually had to spell that out for you.

There is no other major picture ID in the U.S other than a drivers license.  There is an ID card for those without a drivers license but I can't find the number of Americans who have that, and there are millions of Americans with neither card: http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/jul/11/eric-holder/eric-holder-says-recent-studies-show-25-percent-af/

You say that 'people who are too lazy to get a picture I.D shouldn't be allowed to vote', but I say that anybody as obtuse as you clearly are shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »

Then why did only 185 million people actually vote?

If a disabled person can get their ID, so can you. If you're arguing that being black makes you unable to get photo ID, then why are people who are in a wheelchair quite able to do so? Or the blind?

If in today's America you choose not to get a photo ID - it's not because you're prevented from getting it, but rather that you're too lazy to get it.

I also challenged the statement that 'millions of people do not have photo ID'. How many millions? 1, 2?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »

Then why did only 185 million people actually vote?

If a disabled person can get their ID, so can you. If you're arguing that being black makes you unable to get photo ID, then why are people who are in a wheelchair quite able to do so? Or the blind?

If in today's America you choose not to get a photo ID - it's not because you're prevented from getting it, but rather that you're too lazy to get it.

I also challenged the statement that 'millions of people do not have photo ID'. How many millions? 1, 2?

Overall, according to the survey, 11 percent of voting-age Americans did not have current government-issued photo ID. Among African Americans, 25 percent did not have such ID, compared to 8 percent of whites. Not enough Hispanics were surveyed to reach reliable conclusions about that subgroup, the center said.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/jul/11/eric-holder/eric-holder-says-recent-studies-show-25-percent-af/

So, 11% would be about 23 million Americans.

And you're too lazy to look these things up for yourself before commenting.  It's a great deal more difficult for a lot of people to be able to get photo ID than it is for you to look these things up.

I suggest you simply stop commenting before you expose your obtuse nature and your laziness any further.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »

I don't see you citing any survey.

So it's my job to prove your argument?

From your own source:

Junk Poll!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »

It's good to see that only three percent of white Americans are too lazy to get their photo ID!

We don't even need a law to keep 25 percent of black people voting. Well, all 4 of them that they managed to poll, they found that Cletus didn't get his. It's an epidemic.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 08:10:48 AM by ClintonianCake »

Christ, I've helped a friend obtain hers after she lost hers. Took all of about half a day to get it done. I helped drive her to where you need to go. If you're too lazy to get your ID you shouldn't vote. If a dude with a disability can get *HIS* so can you.

No, the purpose of voting laws is to ensure things like secret ballots, etc. But we all know you don't actually care about such things.

Yes, because while you live there you don't vote there.

Yes, preserving the actual election is meaningless in a democracy.

I'm a British citizen who was born in Britain and has a UK passport. I think I know how I vote you Yankee muppet.

as I said, there are ways to ensure that citizens can't vote multiple times with indelible ink. But the GOP aren't interested in fraud, they  are interested in making it harder to vote. As you yourself admit by saying that people who "are too lazy to get id shouldn't be voting anyway".
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 08:18:32 AM »

LOL, as if the Trumpster ever had a chance to win WI.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies