Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:20:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower  (Read 3756 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: July 20, 2016, 04:47:21 AM »

I'm all against Republican voter suppression tactics, but why wouldn't you require ID? Do you have some sort of vote certificate? Because that's what we have in Sweden, as I recall.

America doesnt have National ID cards, so a large portion of society doesn't have Photographic ID like passports or driving licences.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

America is the only western democracy that doesn't.

Neither does the uk.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 04:54:23 AM »

If the GOP is really worried about voter fraud, could they use phosphorus ink?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:25 AM »

Sure. And the fact that states like Alabama and Texas have disporoprtionately closed DMV's in areas where Democrats live is a complete coincidence, right? The fact that the non-ID possessing portion of societyis disproportionately of demographics that lean left also is a complete freaky happenstance I'm assuming?

Your other point is nonsense, seeing as the aim of voting laws should be to expand suffrage to ensure more people vote in the first place...

Actually, the UK does. Registration requires you to provide your national insurance number.

Again - America is the only western nation that does not require photo ID when voting.

I live in the UK, and have never been asked to show ID when voting. Please don't pretend to know about countries you don't live in, when by all indication you barely understand the country you do reside in.

As for the issue these laws are devised to combat, voter fraud, well you said it best:

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »

So if you don't require ID then how does it work?

In Sweden all citizens above 18 get a mail with their "vote card" and you bring that to the booth on polling day (that's what I recall at least).

In the UK, you go to the polling station, you state your address and name and they check against the electoral register.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 08:10:48 AM by ClintonianCake »

Christ, I've helped a friend obtain hers after she lost hers. Took all of about half a day to get it done. I helped drive her to where you need to go. If you're too lazy to get your ID you shouldn't vote. If a dude with a disability can get *HIS* so can you.

No, the purpose of voting laws is to ensure things like secret ballots, etc. But we all know you don't actually care about such things.

Yes, because while you live there you don't vote there.

Yes, preserving the actual election is meaningless in a democracy.

I'm a British citizen who was born in Britain and has a UK passport. I think I know how I vote you Yankee muppet.

as I said, there are ways to ensure that citizens can't vote multiple times with indelible ink. But the GOP aren't interested in fraud, they  are interested in making it harder to vote. As you yourself admit by saying that people who "are too lazy to get id shouldn't be voting anyway".
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »

Dude. I have ID, but I have never needed it to vote. In fact most countries around the world either have mandatory ID cards anyway or have rules so loopy that they are way looser than any ID law proposed in the states. Or like the UK (and Denmark, New Zealand and Australia) don't require voter ID at all. Can you accept that I know more about how voting works in my country than you do?

And of course it's easy to get. Just like it's easy to pass a literacy test to vote, right?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:40:23 AM »

Then what is your issue with having photo ID required to vote?

Well, let's see. You're arguing that it's difficult to obtain the photo ID that you now possess?

I love how you assume that because I believe that voter ID should be required before voting that I would support literacy tests. No, I don't.

Are you simple?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies