Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:48:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's chances of winning Wisconsin just got lower  (Read 3763 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »
« edited: July 20, 2016, 01:54:06 AM by Adam T »

Sweet, the DNC outreach program of smokes for votes remains alive and well in Wisconsin!

Same-day registration with no ID. What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry your party's attempt at voter disenfranchisement didn't work out.
Yeah, because using an ID to vote is such an onerous requirement in 2016 where you have to use an ID to buy cigarettes (which Dems can, in turn, give away to induce people to vote), buy alcohol, sign any legal documents, go to the movies, get into a bar, fly, get a discount, open a bank account, etc., etc., etc.

1.Republicans can't do these things as well?

2.Good, if it's not a big deal then lets have the government issue vote card IDs to all people with the full cost paid for by the taxpayer.  After all, none of those things you listed are things that poor people can really afford.

I mean, if this isn't really about disenfranchising people and if some people say they can't afford some of the costs associated with getting an ID, then there really is no reason to oppose this.

Voting, after all, is a Constitutionally protected right.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 04:50:12 AM »

I'm all against Republican voter suppression tactics, but why wouldn't you require ID? Do you have some sort of vote certificate? Because that's what we have in Sweden, as I recall.

Does Sweden have voter enumeration?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:24:18 AM by Adam T »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'Large portion of society?'

There are over 240 million Americans with a valid driver's license. Only 185 million Americans voted. This is a complete non-issue. And I'm not even counting other forms of valid picture ID.

I checked into your claim on the number of licensed drivers in the U.S because I know the number of Americans you wrote that voted is completely wrong.  (Note: not every licensed driver in the U.S is a U.S citizen. Also, there are 5.3 million former felons as of 2008 who are American citizens who are no longer eligible to vote but many of them likely have drivers licenses.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

So, according to this site, it's 214 million licensed drivers in the U.S, not 240 million.  
http://www.statista.com/topics/1197/car-drivers/

The official government statistic as of 2010 is 210 million.

There are approximately 219 million Americans eligible to vote and 146.5 million registered to vote.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

So:
1.Given the number of Americans eligible to vote vs. the number registered, I don't think you can make any claim that it is not a problem for some people to register to vote.

2.Since the statistics you claimed were so far off, why should anybody believe anything you write?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:27:03 AM by Adam T »

So if you don't require ID then how does it work?

In Sweden all citizens above 18 get a mail with their "vote card" and you bring that to the booth on polling day (that's what I recall at least).

In the UK, you go to the polling station, you state your address and name and they check against the electoral register.

Right. I think that's how it works here as well.

It's weird to me that so many Americans lack ID though. That sounds like a problem in and of itself.

My guess is that nearly every American has ID, they just don't necessarily have picture ID.

I find it kind of amusing, if that's the right word, that the Republican Party is more interested in making sure that Americans can purchase guns than in making sure that Americans can vote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »

Nearly everyone has photo ID. More americans have driver's licenses than vote. If lack of access were a problem, why is this the case?

See what I wrote above.  I have no reason to believe a single thing you write.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

Almost all americans have photo ID. The most common reason not to have one is because you're in the process of replacing it because it got stolen. That is all.

Is that true for the 240 million Americans you say have drivers licenses or the 214 million licensed drivers in the United States?

Or maybe it isn't true at all and you're just making this stuff up as you go along.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:41:46 AM by Adam T »

You do understand that your number of 215 is greater than the 185 million who did vote? And that it doesn't include other forms of photo ID?

146 million are registered to vote and 219 million are eligible to vote.  About 129 million voted in 2012.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:52:48 AM by Adam T »

And while 215 million actually have their driver's license and 185 million actually voted.

There's a little problem with your narrative if more people have their photo ID than vote.

219 million are eligible to vote, and there are 214 million living in the U.S with a drivers license.  Far from all of those 214 million with drivers licenses are eligible to vote (as I mentioned above, at least a few million are felons and I don't know how many million with drivers licenses aren't U.S citizens.)

So, there are clearly many million who are eligible to vote who do not have a drivers license.

I can't believe I actually had to spell that out for you.

There is no other major picture ID in the U.S other than a drivers license.  There is an ID card for those without a drivers license but I can't find the number of Americans who have that, and there are millions of Americans with neither card: http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/jul/11/eric-holder/eric-holder-says-recent-studies-show-25-percent-af/

You say that 'people who are too lazy to get a picture I.D shouldn't be allowed to vote', but I say that anybody as obtuse as you clearly are shouldn't be allowed to vote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »

Then why did only 185 million people actually vote?

If a disabled person can get their ID, so can you. If you're arguing that being black makes you unable to get photo ID, then why are people who are in a wheelchair quite able to do so? Or the blind?

If in today's America you choose not to get a photo ID - it's not because you're prevented from getting it, but rather that you're too lazy to get it.

I also challenged the statement that 'millions of people do not have photo ID'. How many millions? 1, 2?

Overall, according to the survey, 11 percent of voting-age Americans did not have current government-issued photo ID. Among African Americans, 25 percent did not have such ID, compared to 8 percent of whites. Not enough Hispanics were surveyed to reach reliable conclusions about that subgroup, the center said.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/jul/11/eric-holder/eric-holder-says-recent-studies-show-25-percent-af/

So, 11% would be about 23 million Americans.

And you're too lazy to look these things up for yourself before commenting.  It's a great deal more difficult for a lot of people to be able to get photo ID than it is for you to look these things up.

I suggest you simply stop commenting before you expose your obtuse nature and your laziness any further.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »

I don't see you citing any survey.

So it's my job to prove your argument?

From your own source:

Junk Poll!

There are other surveys mentioned there, including a 2006 NAACP survey where the 25% figure is from. 

I would recommend you be banned, but I guess there is nothing in the rules here against being obtuse or lazy.

By your own argument though, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »

This issue is so stupid.  As others have said, the government should levy a tax to provide everyone with a free voter ID card and require everyone to show it at the polls in order to vote (while still accepting driver's licenses and passports).  It's amazing this isn't a universally supported idea that literally combat disenfranchisement and fraud at the same time.  Guess some people aren't worried about those two things in reality.

And issue the voter cards on the basis of universal door to door enumeration conducting once every four or eight years before a Presidential election. 

I know elections are under state laws (although the U.S Supreme Court in ruling in Bush V Gore was apparently not aware of that) but I'd like to think this is something that can be coordinated.  If the states cry poverty, the Federal government can send them the money. 

Universal enumeration apparently costs no more than motor/voter registration and it can give university students jobs after their spring exams but before the start of summer.  (The door to door part enumeration process takes about 2 weeks.)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »

This issue is so stupid.  As others have said, the government should levy a tax to provide everyone with a free voter ID card and require everyone to show it at the polls in order to vote (while still accepting driver's licenses and passports).  It's amazing this isn't a universally supported idea that literally combat disenfranchisement and fraud at the same time.  Guess some people aren't worried about those two things in reality.
But, but, but.... Cemeteries in Crook County disenfranchised!!!

But, but but... idiotic historic arguments. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 02:12:11 PM by Adam T »

Sweet, the DNC outreach program of smokes for votes remains alive and well in Wisconsin!

Same-day registration with no ID. What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry your party's attempt at voter disenfranchisement didn't work out.
Yeah, because using an ID to vote is such an onerous requirement in 2016 where you have to use an ID to buy cigarettes (which Dems can, in turn, give away to induce people to vote), buy alcohol, sign any legal documents, go to the movies, get into a bar, fly, get a discount, open a bank account, etc., etc., etc.

1.Republicans can't do these things as well?

2.Good, if it's not a big deal then lets have the government issue vote card IDs to all people with the full cost paid for by the taxpayer.  After all, none of those things you listed are things that poor people can really afford.

I mean, if this isn't really about disenfranchising people and if some people say they can't afford some of the costs associated with getting an ID, then there really is no reason to oppose this.

Voting, after all, is a Constitutionally protected right.
No, voting is not a constitutionally protected right.

It's not?  Is there something in Republican DNA that you need to lie?

The US Constitution stated in Amendment XV, which was ratified by the states in 1870: "Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

I realize the present Republican Majority Supreme Court may rule otherwise, and I have written here previously that the Constitution says whatever the Supreme Court rules it says, but the words in the 15th Amendment are quite clear, and it's not my fault that the only Amendment Republicans believe should exist is the Second Amendment.

After Hillary Clinton is elected President, and with the fortunate timing of the wonderful death of the vile POS Antonin Scalia (RIH Tony, I can only hope you're going to suffer as much as possible for all eternity) I have no doubt there will be many upcoming rulings on the right to vote that will overturn the rulings of the previous Republican Majority Supreme Court.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »

You still haven't mounted an actual argument against 185 million actual voters and 215 million driver's licenses.

If people are unwilling to use their driver's license to actually go out and vote, then the issue is not that people are being denied access to ID, but rather - that people don't value voting as much as they value having photo ID.

You still have mounted an actual argument showing how that you're not obtuse and lazy.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »

But, but, but.... Cemeteries in Crook County disenfranchised!!!

But, but but... idiotic historic arguments. 
But, but, but... Someone can't recognize an obvious joke.

Sorry.  My bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies