Why are "small government" conservatives so obsessed with the gays?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:56:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are "small government" conservatives so obsessed with the gays?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are "small government" conservatives so obsessed with the gays?  (Read 1778 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »

I can give the small government answer to this. The concept is that the family should be able to look after itself and it's own members and not the state. Homosexual 'marriage' doesn't do anything that Families in general do - it's not self sustaining, you don't have a second generation - so you end up with two older people without younger folks willing to help in. Who do they turn to? The state.

you know that there are roundabout half a million unadopted children in foster care in america, right?

Our foster care system is very broken, at least in Arkansas.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

Why are 'small government' conservatives so obsessed with the gays?

Cuz they are size queens.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »

"Small government" conservatives, as others have said, don't want "small government" across the board, which is why they shouldn't call themselves that. Liberals also want small government on plenty of issues (abortion, gay marriage, flag-burning, corporal punishment in schools, war, role of police, etc.), but they don't use that term.

Really the main reason conservatives advocate "small government" is because they don't want the government to help people, so they pretend the issue is about the role of government rather than their lack of compassion. Their lack of compassion also explains why they do want big government on issues such as war, police, and corporal punishment.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 12:06:30 AM »

The idea that legislating against corporal punishment is 'small-government' strikes me as an odd one.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »

Social conservatives do believe in small government.  They believe government should stay where it belongs; in the bedroom, bathroom, and womb.

[sanctimonious laughing couple with applause]
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 08:24:51 AM »

I'm a small government conservative and I don't obsess about gays , I believe government should get out of marriage entirely
I think the obvious answer is that many of them don't really care about small government. That's probably why when Republicans win the presidency, they increase the deficit more than Democrats do, but Republican Congressmen only get mad when it's Democrats who are doing the spending.

Those of us who are really pro-small-government are likely overwhelmingly pro-gay marriage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »

The idea that legislating against corporal punishment is 'small-government' strikes me as an odd one.
If schools administered corporal punishment without getting parental permission, then being anti-CP would be a small government position. As a general rule, CP is now being administered in the schools only with parental permission, even in those places that still use.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »

An old joke. Democrats want to regulate High incomes, big business, and corporations. Republicans which regulates sex drugs and p***. In other words, it wants to regulate the other.Cheesy
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »

The answer to this question is that "small government" is not a coherent (let alone, consistent) political philosophy but rather, a slogan used for the purpose of appealing to people who do not want to pay taxes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies