How do you respond to push polls?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you respond to push polls?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you respond to push polls?  (Read 311 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »

I just got a poll call, it took about five minutes before getting to the "If you knew that Evan Bayh [horrible stuff], would this make you more or less likely to vote for him?" questions.

Should I have just said, "interview over" and hung up?  Or should I try and skew their data in weird ways?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

The couple of times I've gotten push polled, I've tried to respond in opposite manner of what the push wants.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »

Being a dick to the person who calls isn't going to accomplish much.  They hate their job already, and have no responsibility for the script.

dingojoe is right that signal-jamming is the most effective thing.  If you want to mess with the people creating the push poll, indicate that the least persuasive stuff changes your opinion, and the most persuasive stuff doesn't.  Give them answers that indicate their messages are ineffective, like claiming you changed your mind away from the candidate whose push poll it is (although you usually won't know that upfront).  That kind of thing.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »

Being a dick to the person who calls isn't going to accomplish much.  They hate their job already, and have no responsibility for the script.

dingojoe is right that signal-jamming is the most effective thing.  If you want to mess with the people creating the push poll, indicate that the least persuasive stuff changes your opinion, and the most persuasive stuff doesn't.  Give them answers that indicate their messages are ineffective, like claiming you changed your mind away from the candidate whose push poll it is (although you usually won't know that upfront).  That kind of thing.

That's basically what I did, though telling them I was strongly against the NRA and strongly pro-choice probably didn't screw up their numbers too much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies