Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:29:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: because holy crap
Freedom speech

Horrible speech

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech  (Read 4503 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »

He literally did nothing. Stop hyping this up

Yeah I didn't think it was anything controversial (for a republican), but why did New York randomly start booing?
Fargobison

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »

He literally did nothing. Stop hyping this up

Yeah I didn't think it was anything controversial (for a republican), but why did New York randomly start booing?

Because team Trump was whipping them.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »

Amazing. I disagree with Cruz on many issues and wouldn't be voting for him if he was the nominee, but  on the "vote your conscience" line, we are in perfect agreement. I am a registered republican (for caucusing purposes), but that does not mean I have to vote that way. Following your conscience makes sense, following your party is being a senseless marcobot. And that's why my ballot will be cast for either Hillary Clinton or Gary Johnson and not for Donald Trump.

With Minnesota transitioning to an open primary in 2020, will you become an independent?

Sure, if I still live there. I don't feel bound to my state for life, in fact I'd prefer to live out my adult life in a different state.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »

An ego driven and self-serving speech

This.

He is a selfish POS. If he doesn't want to endorse, then stay at home.
swf541

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »

Cruz is a good man, god bless Cruz

No, he's still the spawn of evil. He was just looking towards 2020.

I disagree with him and couldnt vote for him, but i think hes a decent person
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »

Freedom speech, horrible person.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »

Cruz is a good man, god bless Cruz

No, he's still the spawn of evil. He was just looking towards 2020.

I disagree with him and couldnt vote for him, but i think hes a decent person

No, he isn't.

He did this for his own personal gain. He knows Trump is likely ed in the GE, so he is setting up the ground work for 2020.

I for one hope it backfires on him and the base never forgets.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »

Terrible, terrible guy, but to his credit he has a set of balls unlike Little Marco.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

This is what I love about him: he won't cater to any republican nominee just because of an R next to their name. He's telling people to vote their conscience which is what voting should be rather than I'm voting trump because he's not Hillary Clinton or vice versa. If we keep going down this road, we Justus we a continuous downgrade in the candidates because the republican nominee is entitled to each right wing vote and the democratic nominee is entitled to every left wing vote under this premise. This was a very ballsy move to really stick it to the face of the guy who claimed his dad was involved in the JFK assassination and who insulted his wife. I know some people will say this was only out of his self interest but I absolutely belief that in this case he fully supports what he just did on a moral ground.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »

Fuzzy Won't Cover Up Biden's Senility
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »

Cruz's move was smarmy and dishonest.  Passive-aggressiveness at its worst.

People could understand why Cruz could not endorse Trump.  It's highly personal, and most Republicans would have been OK with Cruz not endorsing.  He, alone, would have gotten a pass had he not done what he did tonight.

Instead, Ted Cruz crapped on a lot of downballot Republicans.  A party chair was screaming at him afterward, and why not?  Cruz had made his job that much harder, because he was, in fact, urging Republicans not to vote for Republicans if their consciences would not permit them.  He encouraged Republicans to vote as independents, and he did it at the Republican National Convention of all places.

The last time I saw a major Presidential hopeful get a speaking slot at his party's convention and NOT endorse the ticket was George Wallace in 1972.  And that was Wallace, a guy who was not considered a "mainstream" national Democrat; the Democrats knew what they were getting, and they were happy that Wallace, while disagreeing with the main planks of the party platform, never trashed McGovern.  Cruz, however, did a "Neener, Neener, Neener!" move; he WANTED the New York delegation, or somebody in the crowd, to get the point that Cruz wasn't endorsing Trump and was eating up a huge swath of TV time to get that point across.  He WANTED the boos; his response to the boos was one of, "You finally got it!".  What he WON'T get is the 2020 GOP Presidential nomination.  Indeed, he may well have a tough primary fight for renomination in 2018.  He crapped on downballot GOP candidates.  And he crapped in his mess kit as well.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »

No one seems to think that the nominee in 2020 will be Donald Trump.
Anyway, I think Ted Cruz simply refuses to be a phony. 
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »

Trump's convention has been a disaster so far.

I didn't like Cruz before, and I still don't, but I admire that he's sticking by his principles by not faking support for Trump like most of these other sell out Republicans (ahem Rubio, Ryan, McConnell ahem).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »

You can "not be a phony" and meet the minimum "I'm voting for the ticket." requirement of party loyalty.  I could care less personally as to whether or not Cruz endorses Trump, because Trump's campaign is less endorsement-dependent than any campaign I have ever seen.  But as a prognosticator (to the degree that I can call myself that), Cruz made a HUGE error.  The "vote your conscience" mantra hurts Republicans other than Trump, and that is not lost on Republican regulars whose partisanship is not singular.  Cruz went about this all wrong, and he's going to pay a huge price.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »

Cruz just put a target on his own back in 2018.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »

You can "not be a phony" and meet the minimum "I'm voting for the ticket." requirement of party loyalty.  I could care less personally as to whether or not Cruz endorses Trump, because Trump's campaign is less endorsement-dependent than any campaign I have ever seen.  But as a prognosticator (to the degree that I can call myself that), Cruz made a HUGE error.  The "vote your conscience" mantra hurts Republicans other than Trump, and that is not lost on Republican regulars whose partisanship is not singular.  Cruz went about this all wrong, and he's going to pay a huge price.

Being loyal to a party rather than your own beliefs is being a phony.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »

If you are unwilling to endorse your party's nominee, you should not attend the convention nominating that person and you should not speak at that convention.

In my opinion, an elected official who is unwilling to endorse their nominee should leave that party, but that's a separate issue.

Ted should have stayed home. This was a Ron Paul move and he's made himself about as relevant as Ron Paul going forward.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »

Takes a lot of courage to do that and I disagree with what he did. No chance he will win in 2020 regardless of what happens.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »

I think Trump knew Cruz wasn't going to endorse. He thinks he gave Cruz a noose and Cruz hung himself. The logic is, 1) Cruz being an asshole to Trump generates sympathy for Trump, 2) It pumps up Trump for his speech tomorrow night, 3) It generates more headlines and drama (Trump's gambit has been any press is good press, and so far it worked).

I have doubts as to whether Cruz is really being principled as people are saying, or if he just wants Trump to lose for personal reasons and so he can run later.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 10:45:16 PM »

It was a thing of beauty.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 10:45:43 PM »

That may be true if you are an individual voter, but not when you are a partisan politician.  Politics in America is very much a Team Sport, and most voters who identify with one major party or another expect their candidates to be loyal to the national ticket.  I cannot think of a single major party candidate in my lifetime who, up until their nomination as President or Vice President, was loyal to their party's national ticket.  The closest to this is George McGovern, who was a delegate to the Progressive Party's convention in 1948 that nominated Henry A. Wallace, and McGovern wasn't an elected official at that time.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »

Cruz did this for his own 2020 Campaign and not out of conviction. I agree with what he said but there were more diplomatic avenues than doing it at the Convention.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:02 PM »

As you all know, I was the one of the first Cruz supporters active on Atlas, supporting Ted. I have always stood by him, but tonight he was horrible. He broke his word. I hope he doesn't run again, as he is a disgrace, but I will support him in 2018.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »

As much as I dislike Cruz, pretty strong speech.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »

No one seems to think that the nominee in 2020 will be Donald Drumpf.

You can "not be a phony" and meet the minimum "I'm voting for the ticket." requirement of party loyalty.  I could care less personally as to whether or not Cruz endorses Drumpf, because Drumpf's campaign is less endorsement-dependent than any campaign I have ever seen.  But as a prognosticator (to the degree that I can call myself that), Cruz made a HUGE error.  The "vote your conscience" mantra hurts Republicans other than Drumpf, and that is not lost on Republican regulars whose partisanship is not singular.  Cruz went about this all wrong, and he's going to pay a huge price.

That may be true if you are an individual voter, but not when you are a partisan politician.  Politics in America is very much a Team Sport, and most voters who identify with one major party or another expect their candidates to be loyal to the national ticket.  I cannot think of a single major party candidate in my lifetime who, up until their nomination as President or Vice President, was loyal to their party's national ticket.  The closest to this is George McGovern, who was a delegate to the Progressive Party's convention in 1948 that nominated Henry A. Wallace, and McGovern wasn't an elected official at that time.
I always knew McGovern was far left..but that far left??!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies