Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: because holy crap
Freedom speech

Horrible speech

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Opinion of Ted Cruz's convention speech  (Read 4505 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »

FS

Conscience > Partisanship

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »

I'm glad he did it because I love the chaos infecting the party. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys. But are we all forgetting that this act of integrity on his part comes as a result of him forsaking his pledge to support/endorse the eventual nominee? This is self-serving at best, even though I support the fallout that may come from it.
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

Self serving?  Absolutely.  Still loved it though. 
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2016, 08:33:05 AM »

I thought it was a good speech. He made the case for voting for downballot races that's going to be important in November.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »

Well, it was really nasty after the Trumpster invited him for prime time. He should have skiped the convention. But if it helps Hillary, I'm all fine.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 08:55:00 AM by Holmes »

He said the pledge flew out the window when Trump attacked his family and wife.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »

Egoism.  If he's so principled, he should have skipped like Rubio, Paul, Haley, Kasich, etc. did.

This. It was a play for 2020. Horrible speech.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »

Cant stand the man but it was a total Freedom Speech and took balls !

Would you say the same if Jim Webb were to speak before the Democratic National Convention and tells the delegates to "vote their consciences"?

Democrats wouldn't be dumb enough to invite Jim Webb (or anyone who wouldn't explicitly endorse Hillary) to speak at the convention.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »

Cruz is a good man, god bless Cruz

No, he's still the spawn of evil. He was just looking towards 2020.
kyc0705

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

I think this speech works for him in the short run, but I question what this will mean for him when Trump-supporting Republicans look back the next time he runs for POTUS.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »

I question what this will mean for him when Trump-supporting Republicans look back the next time he runs for POTUS.

I don't know.  Maybe they'll be as effective as George W. Bush-supporting Republicans were at preventing the nomination of someone who said he should be impeached, and who then did this on a primary debate stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--dOXHnHcEA
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »

If Trump loses narrowly in November, for example, losing a small state like Iowa or something like that, Cruz will be heavily blamed and may likely lose his primary in 2018.  He will also have NO credibility for 2020.

However, if Trump loses in a landslide, then Cruz's speech won't really matter because the landslide loss will prove that Trump wasn't fit to be the nominee.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »

I question what this will mean for him when Trump-supporting Republicans look back the next time he runs for POTUS.

I don't know.  Maybe they'll be as effective as George W. Bush-supporting Republicans were at preventing the nomination of someone who said he should be impeached, and who then did this on a primary debate stage:

It's still astounding to me how well that played.  The GOP base would never allow that kind of rhetoric fly from a Democratic presidential candidate.  They would crucify him/her for saying that.  But a GOP primary candidate?  Unbelievable coup.

If the GOP base was willing to throw W under the bus, or at least support a candidate who did, they certainly will be willing to support a candidate who threw Trump under the bus.  Especially if Trump crashes and burns.  Cruz did absolutely the right thing, strategically, and he will be able to occupy the "moral high ground" (from a conservative perspective) in 2020.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »

The unfortunate issue with that is George W. Bush (largely) has no one to blame for himself for his failures; he had the full 8 years in the White House.

The danger of whatever rump Trump faction remains after his loss is the same danger as with any other "Lost Cause" type; as he never won, you get to imagine whatever great things he would have done without having to consider reality.  And when you compare those delusions to whatever happens in the first four years of a Clinton presidency, perhaps Cruz gets some share of the blame for it.

The point is presumably moot should Trump flub the debates and get shellacked in November, as then his legacy is simply his own screwups.  Historically, did Rockefeller get much blame for Goldwater's loss or (closer to home) Ted Kennedy for Carter's?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »

If Trump loses narrowly in November, for example, losing a small state like Iowa or something like that, Cruz will be heavily blamed and may likely lose his primary in 2018.  He will also have NO credibility for 2020.

However, if Trump loses in a landslide, then Cruz's speech won't really matter because the landslide loss will prove that Trump wasn't fit to be the nominee.

A loss is a loss is a loss.  There is so much animosity, so much party discord over Trump, even if he loses narrowly, the chorus of I-told-you-sos will be deafening.  Trump couldn't beat a terrible, generally despised or disliked Democrat.  One speech at the RNC will not be seen as the reason Trump lost.  The blame will be heaped on the shoulders of Trump and everyone who enabled his rise. 

Cruz and Kasich will be in a fine position for a run in 2020 as two of the few people with the personal fortitude to stand up against what will be seen as a terrible mistake.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »

It was great to see someone give Trump the "F**k you" he deserves.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »

As noted, if he was truly anti-Trump he should've stayed home. He managed to seriously handicap his own career. The delegates were right to boo him off the stage.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »

The Cruz speech was mostly dreary generalized cliches. It didn't do anything for me. I found it amusing that Newt, in order to try to make a silk purse out of sow's ear of Cruz's refusal to endorse, went off on a riff that only Trump respects the Constitution as between Trump and Hillary, and thus Cruz must be recommending a vote for Trump over Hillary. In point of fact, Trump has repeatedly made statements that suggest he does not respect the law, be it Constitutional law, or statutory law, or any other law. But then neither does Newt, who thinks Congress rather than SCOTUS should have the final say as to what the Constitution means (reversing in essence the Madison v Marbury decision), which would have the effect of shredding the Constitution (and then of course it would not be violated ever).  So the guy in favor of repealing the Constitution claims that the guy he supports respects it more than Hillary. Whatever. And Newt, you're getting as fat as Christie. Not good at your age - at all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »

Tweet of the day (on Team Trump's reaction to Cruz's non-endorsement):
https://twitter.com/jasonsjohnson/status/755976344794697728?lang=en

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HaHa.
Love it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »

I think this speech works for him in the short run, but I question what this will mean for him when Trump-supporting Republicans look back the next time he runs for POTUS.

Well, as long as Cruz speaks with a lot of bigotry, racist and xenophobic overtones during the primaries in 2020, the trump-supporting Republicans will LOVE HIM !
It works every time for trump-supporting Republicans ..... hook-line-and-sinker.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »

It was great to see someone give Trump the "F**k you" he deserves.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »

He said the pledge flew out the window when Trump attacked his family and wife.

I mentioned this a couple of days ago, before his speech.
If I were Cruz, I would not support or endorse trump for the attacks that trump dealt directly on Cruz's family.
Actually, I'm surprised Cruz did not go up to trump, and punch him in the nose.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

While I appreciate that Cruz effectively ended his political career I still cannot call anything he does a Freedom Move.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »

Great speech.  One of the best.

Why should Cruz endorse a candidate who viscously attacked and maligned his wife?

And I totally disagree with any who claim this is the end of Cruz's political career.  Nonsense.  He has a bright future ahead of him in politics because he went into the lion's den and looked the beast square in the eye, and delivered his message.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »

Great speech.  One of the best.

Why should Cruz endorse a candidate who viscously attacked and maligned his wife?
Why show up and speak at his convention, then?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies