North Miami Police Shoot and Wound Unarmed Black Caretaker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Miami Police Shoot and Wound Unarmed Black Caretaker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North Miami Police Shoot and Wound Unarmed Black Caretaker  (Read 2361 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Absolutely ridiculous.  He's unarmed, with his hands up, telling the officers that he's unarmed.  Thank God he wasn't more seriously injured or killed.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:58:41 PM »

The cop should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »

The cop should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon attempted murder.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:46:38 AM »

This has to f**king stop.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:25:50 AM »

inb4

"Records show this black guy stole a Butterfinger from a 7/11 in 1993, so frankly the thug got what was coming to him."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 06:53:43 AM »

Clearly the cop in question needs to spend more time on the firing range.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:57:13 AM »

I mean, they pretty clearly aimed for his leg. That's not attempted murder.

Baltimore is a pretty good example of why you don't overcharge just because you're angry. Assault with a deadly weapon is absolutely the right charge here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »

This guy could have been my autistic brother's caregiver. Quite literally considering where my brother lives. The cop should absolutely be charged.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »

Baltimore is a pretty good example of why you don't overcharge just because you're angry. Assault with a deadly weapon is absolutely the right charge here.

Glad you magically knew what he was aiming for.

By the way you can easily kill someone by shooting them in the leg.  You need to stop watching so many movies.  Guns aren't toys.

We've been at war for over a decade.  Do you not pay any attention to the rising body count of our soldiers?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2006/nov/30/insideit.guardianweeklytechnologysection1

Two minutes.  How long did they leave this guy lying in the Florida heat on the pavement bleeding?

I am so sick of the apologists for this kind of egregious behavior.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 01:40:55 PM by LLR »

Completely disgusting and awful.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »

Darn, I was hoping to get in before the every cop is a bad cop crowd.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »

inb4

"Records show this black guy is black, so frankly the thug got what was coming to him."

FTFY.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »

By the way you can easily kill someone by shooting them in the leg.  You need to stop watching so many movies.  Guns aren't toys.

We've been at war for over a decade.  Do you not pay any attention to the rising body count of our soldiers?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2006/nov/30/insideit.guardianweeklytechnologysection1

Two minutes.  How long did they leave this guy lying in the Florida heat on the pavement bleeding?

Attempted murder requires intent. You know this.

Do you think it could be proven in a court of law that they were intending to kill the man? Do you think that would be a logical outcome, or do you think it would be neatly contrasted with all the other recent police shootings with the inferred message of "if we had wanted him dead, he'd be dead"?

This is pretty flatly one of the most inexcusable in the recent police shootings, with a victim who can speak for themselves unlike in most of the other trials. The last thing we need is another Moseby-esque prosecutor looking to make their name by overcharging and end this with a trigger-happy officer cleared.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »

This is pretty messed up. I hope the cop loses his job and is charged.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »

That is a terrible strawman to pull out at a time like this.  No one that has posted in this thread has said nor implied "every cop is a bad cop".  Do you care so little for the lives of innocent African Americans that you wish to quash all criticism of such an egregious act?  Really that remark has no place in this thread.  You really should apologize to everyone who posted prior to your remark.

Do you think it could be proven in a court of law that they were intending to kill the man? Do you think that would be a logical outcome, or do you think it would be neatly contrasted with all the other recent police shootings with the inferred message of "if we had wanted him dead, he'd be dead"?

This is pretty flatly one of the most inexcusable in the recent police shootings, with a victim who can speak for themselves unlike in most of the other trials. The last thing we need is another Moseby-esque prosecutor looking to make their name by overcharging and end this with a trigger-happy officer cleared.

I never said anything about attempted murder.  I addressed your cavalier attitude to a law enforcement officer shooting an unarmed black man for no reason and leaving him lying in the street bleeding.  You don't know his intent.  That is why they have investigations.  Coming in and making excuses for the guy mere hours after the shooting is the wrong thing to do.  If you don't know anything about guns or how to use them that is fine.  Shooting someone in the leg and leaving them in the street like an animal to bleed out is the type of thing that's killed our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It's a big deal, man.  Just please refrain from making outlandish comments about such a sensitive topic.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »

That is a terrible strawman to pull out at a time like this.  No one that has posted in this thread has said nor implied "every cop is a bad cop".  Do you care so little for the lives of innocent African Americans that you wish to quash all criticism of such an egregious act?  Really that remark has no place in this thread.  You really should apologize to everyone who posted prior to your remark.

I never said anything about attempted murder.  I addressed your cavalier attitude to a law enforcement officer shooting an unarmed black man for no reason and leaving him lying in the street bleeding.  You don't know his intent.  That is why they have investigations.  Coming in and making excuses for the guy mere hours after the shooting is the wrong thing to do.  If you don't know anything about guns or how to use them that is fine.  Shooting someone in the leg and leaving them in the street like an animal to bleed out is the type of thing that's killed our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It's a big deal, man.  Just please refrain from making outlandish comments about such a sensitive topic.
Really? lol
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »

Really? lol

Yeah, really.  I'm glad something in this situation makes you laugh.  There is not a single thing you can quote in this thread that shows anyone thinks "every cop is a bad cop".  You slandered all of us.  I challenge you to point out who in this thread said or implied "every cop is a bad cop" in this thread and I'll be the first to admonish them.  You won't quote a single person because no one said nor implied that.  What you did is awful.  A retraction and an apology is the only decent thing to do.

In light of what happened in Dallas and Baton Rouge casually throwing something like that out is terrible.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »

The situation doesn't make me laugh, your over the top hyperbole makes me laugh.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »

You won't quote a single person because no one said nor implied that.
The situation doesn't make me laugh, your over the top hyperbole makes me laugh.

Like I said, you won't quote anyone that said or implied, "every cop is a bad cop".  You are the one, with no proof, accusing rank and file forum members of being in "the every cop is a bad cop crowd."  So who, in light of that, is "hyperbolic"?  I ask you again.  Name and quote the people in this thread who are in the "every cop is a bad cop crowd".  If you can't, just do the decent thing and apologize and retract that inflammatory statement.

The problem with this police brutality thing is there are too many insensitive people in this country.  You coming in and name calling people who are rightly disgusted by this shooting is terrible example of this.  There needs to be some decency in this discussion or we will never solve this problem.

I don't know what is going on with you and I don't know why you said what you said.  I have no personal beef with you.  I am just stunned that you would say something like that.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 06:58:19 PM »

Frankly, there are a huge number of reasons why this crime is despicable, but it doesn't make every cop a bad cop.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:36 AM »

You won't quote a single person because no one said nor implied that.

Like I said, you won't quote anyone that said or implied, "every cop is a bad cop".  You are the one, with no proof, accusing rank and file forum members of being in "the every cop is a bad cop crowd."  So who, in light of that, is "hyperbolic"?  I ask you again.  Name and quote the people in this thread who are in the "every cop is a bad cop crowd".  If you can't, just do the decent thing and apologize and retract that inflammatory statement.

The problem with this police brutality thing is there are too many insensitive people in this country.  You coming in and name calling people who are rightly disgusted by this shooting is terrible example of this.  There needs to be some decency in this discussion or we will never solve this problem.

I don't know what is going on with you and I don't know why you said what you said.  I have no personal beef with you.  I am just stunned that you would say something like that.

in fairness to TG, there has been a LOT of such explicit statements (e.g. Wolverine22) throughout such threads.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 03:30:20 AM »

This seems like a pretty cut and dry case. The cop should fired and spend time in jail.

Cases like this happen, not as often as BLM thinks they do, but they happen. When they do happen though, it's horrible.

We need to reform and retrain the entire US police force.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »

This seems like a pretty cut and dry case. The cop should fired and spend time in jail.

Cases like this happen, not as often as BLM thinks they do, but they happen. When they do happen though, it's horrible.

This. The police have now explicitly said their goal was to kill the autistic man, which...does not make them look better here.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 12:52:20 PM by #FreeMelania »

in fairness to TG, there has been a LOT of such explicit statements (e.g. Wolverine22) throughout such threads.

Out of respect for Texasgurl I'm going to ignore what you said.  That has got to be the most idiotic reason for coming in and insulting a bunch of people who have nothing to do with Wolverine22 (whoever that is).  I'm not going to pin that on her.

The problem with this whole police violence thing is a lot of people are not looking at it from the point of view of people who have been shot or lost loved ones.  This victim was an educated law abiding tax paying man.  He went to work with no body armor, no gun, no backup and literally laid his life down for a defenseless vulnerable person of a different race.  This guy went above and beyond what many white people on this very forum have incessantly demand of every black person.  And what did he get for his efforts?  A bullet in the leg and Texasgurl denigrating the people sticking up for him.  If we can't rally around this guy who can we rally around?  A black persons sees this display, what is there reaction supposed to be.

The police have now explicitly said their goal was to kill the autistic man, which...does not make them look better here.

So is the shooter lying or are you clueless.  Which is it?

And it wasn't "the police".  It was one police officer.  Nobody else shot the man.

I would love to see the reaction of Texasgurl and Ray Goldfield if some black guy came to their neighborhood with an AR-15 and squeezed off three rounds at one of their children hitting one in the leg.  I'm sure Ray would run out his front door and proclaim the guy wasn't try to kill his kid.  I'm sure Texasgurl would denigrate anyone chastising the shooter.  That's where Black Lives Matter gets its name from.  This isn't about cross burning neonazi racists.  It's about a casual neglect.  It's about either ignoring a problem or just carelessly tossing out a callous comment in the wake of a tragedy.  It's just acting like someone doesn't matter.  And it's not necessarily even accusing someone of behaving that way consciously.  There are a lot of things that have set up a negative subconscious culture in this country in regards to attitudes towards African Americans.  I just want people to think about that before they say things like what was posted.  Put yourself in the man who was shots shoes.  Do you think he would have really liked your comments after he did nothing wrong?  And no I don't want to see anyone's kids shot.

Cases like this happen, not as often as BLM thinks they do, but they happen.

I've never seen an official BLM press release giving an objective number about how many times this happens, so I don't know your source.  I support BLM and no one has ever contacted me and asked me how often this happens.  It is totally okay to say BLM, in this instance, was right.

A bit heavy handed, no?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/11/weekinreview/ideas-trends-don-t-shoot-the-culture-of-cops-and-guns.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/05/police_training_in_arkansas_and_indiana_you_can_become_a_cop_without_any.html

Maybe that person could have used some training.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

The police have now explicitly said their goal was to kill the autistic man, which...does not make them look better here.

I'd say that makes the awful situation even worse.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies