Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:57:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation  (Read 4934 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 11:38:40 PM »

Millennials love government. They believe that government can do everything for them. Government can start your car. Need a job? Go sign and apply for a federal government job.
 Pregnant? Ask the government to fund for my child's diaper.  their sugar daddy. Without it, they can't survive in the real world. They don't know anything about self reliance. They think that abolishing capitalism, abolishing banks is a good thing, yet they use smartphones and cell phones. They think that America got what it deserved on 9/11 because America is "racist, sexist, imperalist, and too hyperpatriarchial. I know a LOT of millennials who believe America deserved 9/11. Of course the GOP may lose millennials. Once capitalism is abolished and we have more white shaming shows, we'll see what happens. We have millennials who want government to fund condoms and reparations. Of course millennials love government. Without it,  it shows how empty and talentless they are.

I love how absolutely clueless and condescending this argument is! Smiley
Some of it is the truth. A lot of millennials believe America deserved terror because of the country's past.  

Did you see thousands of Millennials chanting and cheering down on 7/11?
Maybe the ones born from 1979-1981 in college that year. They're told by professors daily that America is the Satanic Empire. I know what I'm saying. Not every professor and millennial likes America.
You have no evidence

"I know what I'm saying".
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:17 PM »

Millennials love government. They believe that government can do everything for them. Government can start your car. Need a job? Go sign and apply for a federal government job.
 Pregnant? Ask the government to fund for my child's diaper.  their sugar daddy. Without it, they can't survive in the real world. They don't know anything about self reliance. They think that abolishing capitalism, abolishing banks is a good thing, yet they use smartphones and cell phones. They think that America got what it deserved on 9/11 because America is "racist, sexist, imperalist, and too hyperpatriarchial. I know a LOT of millennials who believe America deserved 9/11. Of course the GOP may lose millennials. Once capitalism is abolished and we have more white shaming shows, we'll see what happens. We have millennials who want government to fund condoms and reparations. Of course millennials love government. Without it,  it shows how empty and talentless they are.

Wow... and this is why "ignore" doesn't always work, 'cause when the stupid is that thick, it gets quoted. Actually, pretty sure the poster is just trolling...

Basically that whole post amounted to building an army of strawmen in order to then easily knock them down. Pretty easy to attack your political opponents when you completely misrepresent and fail to understand what they actually stand for, and instead invent a caricature that is so unreasonable as to be completely unbelievable.
I'm not a Republican. Never have been. I call both parties out. I'm just saying that millennials can't survive without gov't. They want government so bad. They don't want to grow up like adults and take some responsibility for their lives. You can't have government all the time.

I never said you were a Republican, so that's yet another strawman. I'm saying that your argument is BS because the premise is false. It's a strawman. You make up sh**tty generalizations based on your "feelings" or your anecdotes, and then rail against those false generalizations as if you're making a point. You're not.

And, back to ignore with you.
It doesn't have to be personal, Mallow. Come on. We're a family here.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 11:50:37 PM by bronz4141 »

Some of it is the truth. A lot of millennials believe America deserved terror because of the country's past.  

Did you see thousands of Millennials chanting and cheering down on 7/11?
Maybe the ones born from 1979-1981 in college that year. They're told by professors daily that America is the Satanic Empire. I know what I'm saying. Not every professor and millennial likes America.
You have no evidence

"I know what I'm saying".
A lot of college students are taught to hate America and it's military. I criticize military adventures, but I don't blatantly disrespect the Armed Forces and demean it. Not all millennials are like that,  but some of them don't understand personal responsibility. No one should be living cradle to grave. It's not right. I want a government that respects my job, and financial outlook,  but I don't want government to put me to bed. I'm a big boy.
dirks

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »

Just have to say, Millennials are losers, morons, addicting to their technology, enormous ego's, mooch off their parents well into their 30's. They're fragile and weak.

Good riddance. I mean Gen X looks like the freaking Greatest Generation compared to Millenials
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 11:47:40 PM »

Just have to say, Millennials are losers, morons, addicting to their technology, enormous ego's, mooch off their parents well into their 30's. They're fragile and weak.

Good riddance. I mean Gen X looks like the freaking Greatest Generation compared to Millenials
Typical.
The Advocate
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »

Typical.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »

Typical.

Ignorance is your flagship trade I see. I would get into the details with you, but it would be a waste.
dirks

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 11:58:25 PM by dirks »

Typical.

But true. I realize that sounds curmudgeonly but millennials are extremely coddled and naive. Is there still hope for them? Sure, but they definitely need a wake-up call. They're keyboard/social justice agitators, and still in their parents basement. They're politically correct and boring.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »

Typical.

But true. I realize that sounds curmudgeonly but millennials are extremely coddled and naive. Is there still hope for them? Sure, but they definitely need a wake-up call.

It doesn't sound curmudgeonly, it sounds stupid and malinformed. It sounds like more faux generalizations based on personal feelings and anecdotes. It sounds like something that can't be backed up factually. And it sounds completely wrong.
dirks

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 12:05:48 AM by dirks »

Typical.

But true. I realize that sounds curmudgeonly but millennials are extremely coddled and naive. Is there still hope for them? Sure, but they definitely need a wake-up call.

It doesn't sound curmudgeonly, it sounds stupid and malinformed. It sounds like more faux generalizations based on personal feelings and anecdotes. It sounds like something that can't be backed up factually. And it sounds completely wrong.

Backed up factually? This cohort is still evolving. Millennials are not a math equation, but there are certain characteristics that they seem to share. It's generally agreed upon that they're liberal, politically correct, coddled, stay with their parents longer, have children later, are very attached to their technology and are extremely narcissistic.

To me personally, the typical millennial looks like an urban hipster. Just floating through life on their parents dime through whatever hip new urban area (is it still Portland?)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:07:15 AM »

Typical.

Backed up factually? This cohort is still evolving. Millennials are not a math equation, but there are certain characteristics that they seem to share. It's generally agreed upon that they're liberal, politically correct, coddled, stay with their parents longer, have children later, are very attached to their technology and are extremely narcissistic.

To me personally, the typical millennial looks like an urban hipster. Just floating through life on their parents dime through whatever hip new urban area (is it still Portland?)
It's kind of true. I can't see any millennial standing up for America. They tear it down every single day.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:30 AM »

Oh look! I'm a millennial who left his house at 17, has self-financed through college and graduate school without holding debt, has had years of experience in political and non-political projects, years of experience working at executive level and teaching positions, doesn't look like an urban hipster and has probably contributed more to his country than you ever have.

But PLEASE, don't let that stop you from casting the broadest net possible in an effort to feel good about yourself by condescending towards an entire generation of Americans.

DO-GO-ON.
dirks

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »

Oh look! I'm a millennial who left his house at 17, has self-financed through college and graduate school without holding debt, has had years of experience in political and non-political projects, years of experience working at executive level and teaching positions, doesn't look like an urban hipster and has probably contributed more to his country than you ever have.

But PLEASE, don't let that stop you from casting the broadest net possible in an effort to feel good about yourself by condescending towards an entire generation of Americans.

DO-GO-ON.

ok, so you're in the minority. Most aren't like you. Heck how would I know one way or the other if you're telling the truth.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »

DO-GO-ON.

ok, so you're in the minority. Most aren't like you. Heck how would I know one way or the other if you're telling the truth.

I wouldn't feel as disrespected if it weren't true, but you can choose to not believe me. That's fine. I have no reason to lie.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »

DO-GO-ON.

You've made all these judgements on stereotypes and a lack of factual input.
dirks

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »

DO-GO-ON.

You've made all these judgements on stereotypes and a lack of factual input.

What are you disputing? That millennials are liberal? That they get married later? That the bulk of hipsters are millennials? That's kind of common knowledge.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »

dirks

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »

The greatest cartoon of all time...was not created by a millennial.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 12:21:21 AM »

Doesn't make the sentiment less valid to this vapid argument.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »

Not to mention that the vast majority of soldiers in combat are Millennials because, you know, #age.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 12:27:20 AM »

I have never seen a more condescending, ageist thread filled with lies and half-truths. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. All I can read in this thread is that you want the young whippersnappers to get off your lawn and shut up because you disagree with them. Any that have accomplished anything are apparently exceptions.

Well aren't you special. You were born in a different year. That's great. Next you'll tell me you look different from other people and have different parents. Whenever you feel bad about yourself, you can look at the Millennial generation and say, "At least I'm not one of those low lifes. Imagine if I had been born a bit later. How horrifying."

GTFO
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:03 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 12:35:43 AM by Jet fuel can't melt dank memes »

I was born in 1993, and I'd actually dearly like to be able to live independently (not so much because MUST ~LEAVE THE NEST~ TO ~BE A GROWN-UP~, MULTIGENERATIONAL HOUSEHOLDS ARE FOR BROWNS AND POORS, but rather just because it'd be nice to have the option). I'd like to have a not-super-fantabulous-but-decent-and-stable job. I'd like to (and still foolishly hold out some probably-false hope of being able to) get married relatively young rather than riding the carousel of depressing failed relationships until I'm thirty or thirty-five. I'd really, really, really like it if all of that were possible for me. So would many, many of my friends.
Alaska2392
NRS11
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:32 AM »

What's funny is that many of the so-called "annoying" things that Millenials do are just a by-product of decisions made by previous generations.  I mean it isn't like the 15 year old created a CDO backed by subprime mortgages... leading to an economic recession... leading to people having to live with their parents.

Additionally, what someone is entitled to is a matter of opinion.  More directly what an American is entitled to is whatever passes into law, is interpreted by the courts to exist, or is passed by state initiative or referendum.  It's as simple as that.  I honestly believe there is no arguably "right" answer to what you are entitled to.  If society decides you are entitled to a car, then you are entitled to a car.  I see nothing specifically wrong in that.  I wouldn't advocate for it, but I would certainly respect it if it were passed through democratic means.  Same thing goes with priorities... so Millenials want more work life balance.  Ok... so what's your point?  That they should just suck it up? Why?  Sure asking for more time off may lead to a lower salary, but if you are willing to accept that, then what's so inherently wrong about it?

Last, it is perfectly fine for someone not to be overly proud of America.  At one level, that's definitely a freedom of speech issue.  You can be patriotic and criticize your country.  When your child comes home with a poor report card you can still be mad at them and still love them.  But anyway, what exactly do Milennials have to be especially proud of? Education, healthcare, civility in politics, low crime rate?  I'm struggling to find a major issue where one could say America is exceeding compared to other first world countries.  Perhaps the reason Millenials say they approve of socialism isn't so much about academia, but because many countries that on paper are better successes than ours either have democratic socialists in power or as a major opposition party.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »

Trump is running a campaign that is essentially a giant appeal to stupidity and emotion. His main policy proposal (his wall) is primarily motivated by sentiment and "sending a message". Even his supporters admit it won't solve the illegal immigration problem. I'm a staunch fiscal conservative who voted for Romney in my first election last time, generally voted for Republicans for Congress, and assumed I'd vote for whoever the Republican nominee was this time. But if the Republicans are going to be the party of ignorant populism, I'll take a center-left liberal over them ever day.

Demagoguery doesn't work when the population becomes more educated.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 12:46:50 AM »

sh**t, yeah, those federal government jobs that they're handing out like nothing!! No wonder millenials are evil socialists when the federal government is giving a job to anyone under 30 who wants one!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies