Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:40:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Luntz to delegates: GOP has 'lost' the millennial generation  (Read 4759 times)
fldemfunds
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »

It's always amusing to read generalizations about millennials from baby boomers when they're the most entitled generation that sucks the most government benefits. Many in the generation have spent and lived far outside their income and are getting to the point where they can't sustain it any more as they begin to retire. No financial savings tucked away, will be almost completely reliant on social security and other benefits and sucks but tax writeoffs and credits too.

AMEN! Boomers: the generation that was in power during the biggest recession since the Great Depression, started false wars, divided the country to sustain a culture war, cut their own taxes dramatically, shredded the benefits they enjoyed, allowed 9/11 to happen, and blame everyone else for everything they created!

Heaven forbid millenials feel entitled to having: a job that pays a living wage, equal treatment under the law, or stable economic and global affairs!
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »

Can I just say, and this is strictly opinion of course...that thus far the output of millennials compared to other generations in regards to the arts, literature, music, film is relatively poor and will not stand the test of time as with previous generations.

I just don't see the creativity. Every generation leaves something lasting and legendary, but I feel that millennials are going to leave less than most others.

Maybe it will change, who knows. There is plenty of time. But I don't feel overly optimistic as of now.

Millenials have already created music far better than anything baby boomers ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGYzpBoxa-w
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »

It's always amusing to read generalizations about millennials from baby boomers when they're the most entitled generation that sucks the most government benefits. Many in the generation have spent and lived far outside their income and are getting to the point where they can't sustain it any more as they begin to retire. No financial savings tucked away, will be almost completely reliant on social security and other benefits and sucks but tax writeoffs and credits too.

AMEN! Boomers: the generation that was in power during the biggest recession since the Great Depression, started false wars, divided the country to sustain a culture war, cut their own taxes dramatically, shredded the benefits they enjoyed, allowed 9/11 to happen, and blame everyone else for everything they created!

Heaven forbid millenials feel entitled to having: a job that pays a living wage, equal treatment under the law, or stable economic and global affairs!

They don't want people to make more money when their minimum wage back then while nothing would be very high today so there's really no compare. I'll agree that the minimum wage should be raised, not as much as people want it to be. Someone working at a fast food place should by no means make $15 an hour for completely unskilled labor. They need to cut their own expenses (get rid of the smart phone, cable TV, DVR, new laptop, new car).

I saw someone mention about the rich, well the upper middle class and the rich and many business owners will take advantage of credits and write-offs. From being an underwriter people really are making $70-100+ a year but paying nothing in taxes (business wise) due to writing everything off and claiming less than $15k of income or losses.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

They don't want people to make more money when their minimum wage back then while nothing would be very high today so there's really no compare. I'll agree that the minimum wage should be raised, not as much as people want it to be. Someone working at a fast food place should by no means make $15 an hour for completely unskilled labor. They need to cut their own expenses (get rid of the smart phone, cable TV, DVR, new laptop, new car).

I saw someone mention about the rich, well the upper middle class and the rich and many business owners will take advantage of credits and write-offs. From being an underwriter people really are making $70-100+ a year but paying nothing in taxes (business wise) due to writing everything off and claiming less than $15k of income or losses.

Indeed. The economic recovery in the west since the crash has been entirely orchestrated to protect their assets; homes, pensions etc as they retire.
dirks

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 01:05:32 PM by dirks »

I'm 28 years old. I'm not going to vote for a party that denies climate change exists, that thinks denying evolution exists is a reasonable position, and that doesn't support civil marriage for all.

Absolutely, I'm 30.  I can't EVER bring myself to vote for a party whose views on gender, sexuality, basic biology, and science sound consistently like something out of Medieval Europe.

The Republicans have indeed lost the millennials and one day they will pay and pay dearly for that loss.

Who's paying dearly for what? What will be the result? A melting cauldron of diversity, murder, chaos, cop assassinations, muslim terror here and abroad, sky high taxes, and political correctness.

Basically your victories are the decay of America.

And another point of mine for you to sneer at, and this can't be quantified with and fancy numbers...but millennials are NO FUN. My gosh, try to crack an edgy racist joke among them, they're lame prudes. And they don't mind their own business. They like to chide you for your Redskins shirt but quickly cower in fear when you crack their eye socket with a right hook.
dirks

« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »

Can I just say, and this is strictly opinion of course...that thus far the output of millennials compared to other generations in regards to the arts, literature, music, film is relatively poor and will not stand the test of time as with previous generations.

I just don't see the creativity. Every generation leaves something lasting and legendary, but I feel that millennials are going to leave less than most others.

Maybe it will change, who knows. There is plenty of time. But I don't feel overly optimistic as of now.

Millenials have already created music far better than anything baby boomers ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGYzpBoxa-w

dear god. you poor millennials.
hopper
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

I'm 28 years old. I'm not going to vote for a party that denies climate change exists, that thinks denying evolution exists is a reasonable position, and that doesn't support civil marriage for all.

Absolutely, I'm 30.  I can't EVER bring myself to vote for a party whose views on gender, sexuality, basic biology, and science sound consistently like something out of Medieval Europe.

The Republicans have indeed lost the millennials and one day they will pay and pay dearly for that loss.
The GOP doesn't dislike gay or transgender people. They just don't believe in gay marriage as a party. They don't think that gay people for example should be killed just because of their sexuality.
hopper
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

Absolutely, I'm 30.  I can't EVER bring myself to vote for a party whose views on gender, sexuality, basic biology, and science sound consistently like something out of Medieval Europe.

I'm 39 (Gen-X-lite?) and I agree with all of the above.  It has nothing to do with being young.  It has to do with opening your eyes to a world outside your comfy, white, suburban/small-town bubble.

That said, my wife and nearly all of my friends are millennials.  They are some of the most ethical, compassionate, and motivated people I know.  They are the ones actually questioning our society's norms, dissecting them, and examining the injustices that result from those norms.  Things that make older people very, very uncomfortable.  They will change the country for the better.
I'm 36 so we are close in age.

What do you mean by questioning sociey norms, disecting them, and examing injustices? Can you go more in depth of what you are talking about?
hopper
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

Rather than figure out why their message isn't connecting (or, God forbid, maybe ask whether it is the message itself!), Luntz and his ilk just blame somebody else. This kind of thinking is not going to solve the GOP's issues with the under-35 set.
Neither Party has a message for the future. I don't see Hilary's or Trump's vision for the future at all. Its just alot of talking with the two of them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:48 PM »

Millennials love government. They believe that government can do everything for them. Government can start your car. Need a job? Go sign and apply for a federal government job.
 Pregnant? Ask the government to fund for my child's diaper.  their sugar daddy. Without it, they can't survive in the real world. They don't know anything about self reliance. They think that abolishing capitalism, abolishing banks is a good thing, yet they use smartphones and cell phones. They think that America got what it deserved on 9/11 because America is "racist, sexist, imperalist, and too hyperpatriarchial. I know a LOT of millennials who believe America deserved 9/11. Of course the GOP may lose millennials. Once capitalism is abolished and we have more white shaming shows, we'll see what happens. We have millennials who want government to fund condoms and reparations. Of course millennials love government. Without it,  it shows how empty and talentless they are.

I love how absolutely clueless and condescending this argument is! Smiley

Wow... and this is why "ignore" doesn't always work, 'cause when the stupid is that thick, it gets quoted. Actually, pretty sure the poster is just trolling...

Basically that whole post amounted to building an army of strawmen in order to then easily knock them down. Pretty easy to attack your political opponents when you completely misrepresent and fail to understand what they actually stand for, and instead invent a caricature that is so unreasonable as to be completely unbelievable.

You mean like this?:

Both of these mischaracterize entire groups of people. Something like 45% of Republicans support SSM. A larger number wants civil unions. If you really, honestly, believe Trimp would ban SSM, you have another thing coming.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »

Millennials love government. They believe that government can do everything for them. Government can start your car. Need a job? Go sign and apply for a federal government job.
 Pregnant? Ask the government to fund for my child's diaper.  their sugar daddy. Without it, they can't survive in the real world. They don't know anything about self reliance. They think that abolishing capitalism, abolishing banks is a good thing, yet they use smartphones and cell phones. They think that America got what it deserved on 9/11 because America is "racist, sexist, imperalist, and too hyperpatriarchial. I know a LOT of millennials who believe America deserved 9/11. Of course the GOP may lose millennials. Once capitalism is abolished and we have more white shaming shows, we'll see what happens. We have millennials who want government to fund condoms and reparations. Of course millennials love government. Without it,  it shows how empty and talentless they are.

Wow... and this is why "ignore" doesn't always work, 'cause when the stupid is that thick, it gets quoted. Actually, pretty sure the poster is just trolling...

Basically that whole post amounted to building an army of strawmen in order to then easily knock them down. Pretty easy to attack your political opponents when you completely misrepresent and fail to understand what they actually stand for, and instead invent a caricature that is so unreasonable as to be completely unbelievable.

You mean like this?:

Both of these mischaracterize entire groups of people. Something like 45% of Republicans support SSM. A larger number wants civil unions. If you really, honestly, believe Trimp would ban SSM, you have another thing coming.

They put that the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman into their party platform...what the heck else are we supposed to go on?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »

You mean like this?:

They put that the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman into their party platform...what the heck else are we supposed to go on?

I don't have a problem with SSM. I know a lot of people feel that millennials are disrespecting marriage in general, in the eyes of man and woman. I don't have a problem with it, but a lot of people see marriage being a joke and mocked right now. That's why marriage rates are at a 50-year low.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »

I'm talking the truth. There's a lot of white shaming going around in the Western world.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell 911 has to do with race?  This is so bizarre.

Does anyone know this bronz4141 in real life?  Is he okay?  I don't want to just make fun of him if he is someone with serious stuff going on and needs help.

I'm feeling very, very ill. I need to take a breather.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »

And another point of mine for you to sneer at, and this can't be quantified with and fancy numbers...but millennials are NO FUN. My gosh, try to crack an edgy racist joke among them, they're lame prudes. And they don't mind their own business. They like to chide you for your Redskins shirt but quickly cower in fear when you crack their eye socket with a right hook.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »

I'm talking the truth. There's a lot of white shaming going around in the Western world.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell 911 has to do with race?  This is so bizarre.

Does anyone know this bronz4141 in real life?  Is he okay?  I don't want to just make fun of him if he is someone with serious stuff going on and needs help.

I'm tired, I'm hungry..please God, help...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell 911 has to do with race?  This is so bizarre.
Does anyone know this bronz4141 in real life?  Is he okay?  I don't want to just make fun of him if he is someone with serious stuff going on and needs help.

I'm tired, I'm hungry..please God, help...

At the moment, bronz does not sound "okay."
Seems like bronz needs to take his daily dose of happy-pills.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »

I found this video mightily a propos to some of the posters in this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/attn/videos/1035446746490784/
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »

You guys are mis-interpreting this situation because nobody thus far has mentioned demographics.

It's true that the GOP is handily losing the millennial vote, but the cause is not entirely the GOP's message. Rather, the cause is that the millennial generation is the most diverse generation in American history.

In 2012, Mitt Romney actually beat Obama among white voters aged 18-29 by a solid margin, 51% - 44%. However, Obama offset those losses by winning young black voters 91% - 8% and by winning young Hispanic voters 74% - 23%.

Importantly, those splits are not new --- white youths, black youths, and Hispanic youths have almost always voted by those margins. The difference between now and the past, though, is that today only "58%[of young voters] are white non-Hispanic, compared with 76% of voters older than 30."

Demographics, hence, is critical to this discussion.

http://www.people-press.org/2012/11/26/young-voters-supported-obama-less-but-may-have-mattered-more/

[img removed]

That's true, but it doesn't make the GOP's situation any less precarious in regards to essentially losing an entire generation. If Millennial non-white voters continue voting like their parents, and their parents before them, etc, then Republicans are going to be hard pressed to make any inroads in essentially 20 years worth of voters. African Americans and Hispanics have maintained consistent voting patterns for at least half a century now. White Millennials won't necessarily be a cakewalk for the GOP, either.

A bigger issue even is Generation Z, which is even more diverse. If Republicans ever find a way to break through to minorities, it is almost surely going to take many years, and that will be well after they begin getting swamped by both Millennials and GenZ voters.

I suppose a silver lining here is that the GOP will most certainly find a way, whether it takes a decade or decades, because if they don't, they will become nothing more than a rump party in the not-so-distant future.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »

I'm not feeling well. I need to take a few hours off.

Please leave and don't come back. Or go to Stormfront where you will find many supporters.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:28 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see the republican party as constituted surviving.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »

Please leave and don't come back. Or go to Stormfront where you will find many supporters.

I am not a bigot. I'm an American. I have to speak up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

I am not a bigot. I'm an American. I have to speak up.

bronz, take some time off. Cool down. Watch a comedy movie. This is a rough time for all of us.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2016, 05:59:37 PM »

What I like about the young generations today is that they are more open to diversity, more tolerant of differences and better at communication and making friends.

What I don't like is their PC conditioning, but that is partly the fault of the dishonest media with an agenda. And their PC conditioning can be broken fairly easily in direct communication with them.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »

Saying 45% of your party's members support same-sex marriage in 2016 is about as bold as saying 45% of your party's members support desegregation of public facilities in 1968. It means you are profoundly on the wrong side of history and general decency.

And if 45% of Republicans support same-sex marriage, why are there only like two Republicans in the House who do?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2016, 12:18:22 AM »

Saying 45% of your party's members support same-sex marriage in 2016 is about as bold as saying 45% of your party's members support desegregation of public facilities in 1968. It means you are profoundly on the wrong side of history and general decency.

And if 45% of Republicans support same-sex marriage, why are there only like two Republicans in the House who do?

But there is the Pub nominee, who does.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies