GA Senate Weirdness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:26:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA Senate Weirdness
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA Senate Weirdness  (Read 441 times)
ClimateDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:41 PM »

From: http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/04/roy-barnes-sam-nunn-quietly-donate-to-johnny-isaksons-campaign/
Two prominent Georgia Democrats, former Gov. Roy Barnes and ex-U.S. Sen. Sam Nunn, quietly donated to Johnny Isakson’s Senate campaign in recent months, spurning their party’s candidate in favor of the longtime Republican lawmaker. [...]
Our scan of campaign finance filings also found another interesting Isakson donation: $500 from Cass Sunstein, the legal scholar who spent three years in the Obama White House and is married to United Nations ambassador Samantha Power.

Isackson voted against Sunstein for OMB: http://www.voterpunch.org/vote.htm?vote=6824&member=400194&x=50&y=7

What the hell is going on?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:39:11 PM »

From: http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/04/roy-barnes-sam-nunn-quietly-donate-to-johnny-isaksons-campaign/
Two prominent Georgia Democrats, former Gov. Roy Barnes and ex-U.S. Sen. Sam Nunn, quietly donated to Johnny Isakson’s Senate campaign in recent months, spurning their party’s candidate in favor of the longtime Republican lawmaker. [...]
Our scan of campaign finance filings also found another interesting Isakson donation: $500 from Cass Sunstein, the legal scholar who spent three years in the Obama White House and is married to United Nations ambassador Samantha Power.

Isackson voted against Sunstein for OMB: http://www.voterpunch.org/vote.htm?vote=6824&member=400194&x=50&y=7

What the hell is going on?

Not even close to an expert on Georgia politics, but I remember in 2014 there were some personality-based endorsements by Zell Miller, that might explain these as well.

Miller endorsed Nathan Deal, R, for Gov because he kept funding for Miller's crowning achievement, the HOPE Scholarship. Also, Deal, a former Democrat himself, seems to be personally friendly w/ Miller as well. And on top of that Miller and Jimmy Carter (Jason Carter was DEM Nominee for Gov in '14) never had a good relationship, politically or personally.

Miller endorsed Michelle Nunn for Senate because of his good relations with Sam Nunn.

This most certainly seems to be the case with the relationship between Barnes and Isakson. That article you posted (first link), states this:

"Barnes and Isakson have been two dominant forces in Cobb County politics since the 1980s. The former governor, who launched a comeback bid in 2010, likely gave Democrats some heartburn last year as the party searched for an Isakson challenger when he said 'if all Republicans were like Johnny, I would be a Republican.'

Barnes had this to say in a brief interview this afternoon:

'Johnny and Dianne have been friends of ours since we were young and served in the General Assembly together. I am a Democrat and I have nothing ill to say about his opponent, but Johnny is our friend.'"

Nunn also said the same thing: “is an effective public servant and has been my friend for many years.”

However, U.S. Rep. David Scott's endorsement of Isakson is setting off some alarms:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/04/georgia-democratic-congressman-says-hell-back-johnny-isakson/

While I do think personal friendship plays a big role in some of these endorsements, I also smell something fishy about Jim Barksdale.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »

Isakson's not a total wackjob, Jim Barksdale is kind of weird hipster character and a bad fit for the state. Plus, Nunn is fairly moderate, and it looks like Barnes and Isakson are close enough.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »

Isakson's not a total wackjob, Jim Barksdale is kind of weird hipster character and a bad fit for the state. Plus, Nunn is fairly moderate, and it looks like Barnes and Isakson are close enough.

Also, I just dug a little more into David Scott's background and he seems to be a Sunrise-style Democrat Tongue Hawkish, voted against the Iran Deal and one of the most centrist Democrats in the country, so this prob explains his endorsement as well (maybe, idk haha)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 11:19:16 PM »

^ He's a member of the Blue Dogs, despite his district being easily able to elect someone more liberal.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:31:14 PM »

^ He's a member of the Blue Dogs, despite his district being easily able to elect someone more liberal.

Nice.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »

Yeah, David Scott needs to be primaried.

Anyway, I don't think it's that weird. Barksdale doesn't have a prayer and is more left of center than most of the blue dogs who are endorsing him - it's an easy way to build bi-partisan credit, if not a lame way.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one big name to run for the seat, at least for wave insurance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies