Opinion of Donald Trump's convention speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:42:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of Donald Trump's convention speech?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: ?
FS

HS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 124

Author Topic: Opinion of Donald Trump's convention speech?  (Read 3843 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »

It's cute how you guys nitpicked the speech apart after freaking out when the transcript was initially leaked.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 12:13:41 PM by Adam T »

The idea that a corrupt businessperson who routinely engaged in pay to play with politicians is going to be the person to 'clean up the system' is laughable and only an idiot like the idiot Trump supporters could believe it.

I know the 'conversion on the road to Damascus' but I also know of "Trust but verify."

"Trust and verify" is a Russian saying (доверяй, но проверяй),  and I remember Reagan saying it in Russian.  
As a foreigner I don't care a bean for students' debts and other   domestic problems. I'm more interested in foreign policy. Let's verify what Trump said.
He stated that when Clinton took office Lybia and Syria were stable countries while Iraq was in chaos ensued by American invasion. When she left office all three countries were in chaos, Egypt ruled Muslim Brothers, ISIS spreading its influence and seizing territories, American diplomats murdered in Beghazi.
And what is wrong here? These are obvious, undeniable facts.
To ignore them is really idiotic.

Those are all facts, but I wasn't referring to any of them.

The degree to which Hillary Clinton is responsible for those things though is up for debate.

It is also a fact that at least 50% less American Diplomats died under her watch than died under Colin Powell or Condi Rice's watch.  That is also a fact, but you don't hear about that because Republicans don't care about the death of diplomats. They only pretend to care about this one incident because they want to pin those deaths on Hillary Clinton.

I was not aware Trust and Verify is a Russian saying, but I am aware that the phrase 'Trust but Verify' was used to describe the attitude Ronald Reagan should take into meetings with Gorbachev.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:09 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 12:30:14 PM by Adam T »

The idea that a corrupt businessperson who routinely engaged in pay to play with politicians is going to be the person to 'clean up the system' is laughable and only an idiot like the idiot Trump supporters could believe it.

I know the 'conversion on the road to Damascus' but I also know of "Trust but verify."  If Rapist Trump really wants to 'clean up the system' I want to know what specific reforms he has.

Hillary Clinton has pledged to both support a Constitutional Amendment on campaign finance reform, and that she will only appoint judges to the Supreme Court who will overturn Citizen's United.

Rapist Trump has pledged nothing other than "I'm so great, you can believe me."

Idiot Trump supporters are such idiots it's a wonder that they still know how to breathe. (Necessary attribution: Bob Dylan from the song Idiot Wind.)  
Never, EVER, ever quote my favorite song by my favorite artist in such a face-palming way ever again. That song is sacred to me and I'll be damned if I let you abuse it Tongue.

I think there are better Dylan songs.  I also think Dylan must have had Rapist Trump in mind when he wrote "Jokerman."

I also believe the original lyrics of "License to Kill" were:
...For Man has invented his doom
first step was the Republican nomination of Rapist Trump for President...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »

He's getting better at reading from the teleprompter.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »

HS, Telling Cruz you won't accept his endorsement just cost you millions of evangelicals.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »

HS, Telling Cruz you won't accept his endorsement just cost you millions of evangelicals.

And by millions, you mean 14 +/- 2
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »

David Duke was so inspired that he's going to run for the Senate.

Duke said in the video, “I’m overjoyed to see Donald Trump and most Americans embrace most of the issues that I’ve championed for years. My slogan remains America first.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/07/22/david-duke-senate-run/87437334/

See how the Drumpfenfuhrer reaches out to hearts of Americans
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »

Duke said in the video, “I’m overjoyed to see Donald Trump and most Americans embrace most of the issues that I’ve championed for years. My slogan remains America first.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/07/22/david-duke-senate-run/87437334/

Wow, David Duke can hold a grudge. Yet another pathetic attempt to destroy our movement because Donald called him a racist a decade ago. Didn't even remember who he was since so much time passed!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »

Wow, David Duke can hold a grudge. Yet another pathetic attempt to destroy our movement because Donald called him a racist a decade ago. Didn't even remember who he was since so much time passed!

Meh, Trump changed his mind, as he is known to do.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »

David Duke had said that he would primary Representative Steve Scalise.

If you can't trust the leader of the KKK to keep his word, who can you trust?  Cheesy
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »

Norman Ornstein
‏@NormOrnstein
If Leni Riefenstahl were alive, Trump would hire her to film this speech. Then not pay her.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

I read the speech when it leaked, and thought it was quite effective.

However, Trump's delivery was all screaming and shouting. It was not effective.

This election is really weird. We'll see if the American people are turned on by his speech.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »

It was beautiful - it was the sound of a man taking a sledgehammer to the old GOP.

Are you trying to trigger RINO Tom?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 05:27:04 PM by Santander »

It was beautiful - it was the sound of a man taking a sledgehammer to the old GOP.

You certainly seem to enjoy it when I do. Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »

You certainly seem to enjoy it when I do. Wink

Guilty. Wink
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 09:39:41 PM by egalitt »

I know the 'conversion on the road to Damascus' but I also know of "Trust but verify."

"Trust and verify" is a Russian saying (доверяй, но проверяй),  and I remember Reagan saying it in Russian.  
As a foreigner I don't care a bean for students' debts and other   domestic problems. I'm more interested in foreign policy. Let's verify what Trump said.
He stated that when Clinton took office Lybia and Syria were stable countries while Iraq was in chaos ensued by American invasion. When she left office all three countries were in chaos, Egypt ruled Muslim Brothers, ISIS spreading its influence and seizing territories, American diplomats murdered in Beghazi.

The degree to which Hillary Clinton is responsible for those things though is up for debate.

It is also a fact that at least 50% less American Diplomats died under her watch than died under Colin Powell or Condi Rice's watch.  That is also a fact, but you don't hear about that because Republicans don't care about the death of diplomats. They only pretend to care about this one incident because they want to pin those deaths on Hillary Clinton.

I was not aware Trust and Verify is a Russian saying, but I am aware that the phrase 'Trust but Verify' was used to describe the attitude Ronald Reagan should take into meetings with Gorbachev.

At least you admit that Clinton is responsible, i. e. you seem to have some common sense; so I'll take the trouble to explain the following.
1. The last American ambassador to be killed in the line of service was Dubs merdered in Kabul in 1979. Clinton outperformed all succeeding state secretaries.
Maybe in you country murdering ambassadors is a trivial thing, but all over the world this is an extraordinary event that ensues resignation, punishment, etc.  Did Clinton resing? No. Was she punished? Not at all.
2. Bill Clinton was publicly accused of sexual misconduct by 5 women https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_misconduct_allegations And he himself admitted extramarital relationships with 2 of them. The investigation presented many clues, such as Lewinsky's dress with Clinton semen, sigar tubes that President Clinton inserted in Lewinsky vagina, etc.
And what about Trump? No investigation, no clues, no hearings, mere conjectures . How can you call him a rapist? It is Clinton who is a rapist,   this fact  proved  by FBI investigation.  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »

Hardly.  Most Evangelicals think Cruz needs to come to his senses. 

Trump needed to stand up to Cruz, and he did.  Cruz handled his situation terribly; he wrote a check with his mouth that he butt can't cash.  Trump set him up for the check to go NSF in full view of America.  Really, I think Cruz has set himself up to where David Dewhurst could beat him in a rematch if he enters the 2018 Texas GOP Senate primary.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »

Would love to know what % of people who started out watching that made it to the end.  Even for his core audience, that was a long speech.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »

And this is a perfect example of Clinton backers making her an idol. No matter how many crimes she has committed they continue to worship her.

Thread Title: "Opinion of Donald Trump's convention speech"
Trump supporter: "Whaaa! Whatabout Clinton?"

As I said, when Trump doesn't live up to expectations (which is most of the time), they just block it out to avoid the cognitive dissonance and realizing that their cult's object of worship is a greedy moron (and thus avoid needing to realize that they are themselves stupid and desperate suckers).

And for the record, the only thing that makes Clinton look remotely "acceptable" to me is that: 1) she's better than the brain-dead psychopathic fascist (and yes, it took an idiotic, immature con-artist to get lower than her)  and 2) the thought of how much her winning will piss off his supporters. (Still likely to vote for Johnson if it seems he has a chance.)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:59:10 AM by Adam T »

At least you admit that Clinton is responsible, i. e. you seem to have some common sense; so I'll take the trouble to explain the following.
1. The last American ambassador to be killed in the line of service was Dubs merdered in Kabul in 1979. Clinton outperformed all succeeding state secretaries.
Maybe in you country murdering ambassadors is a trivial thing, but all over the world this is an extraordinary event that ensues resignation, punishment, etc.  Did Clinton resing? No. Was she punished? Not at all.
2. Bill Clinton was publicly accused of sexual misconduct by 5 women https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_misconduct_allegations And he himself admitted extramarital relationships with 2 of them. The investigation presented many clues, such as Lewinsky's dress with Clinton semen, sigar tubes that President Clinton inserted in Lewinsky vagina, etc.
And what about Trump? No investigation, no clues, no hearings, mere conjectures . How can you call him a rapist? It is Clinton who is a rapist,   this fact  proved  by FBI investigation.  

1.I should have said 'embassies' not 'ambassadors'
Prior to Benghazi, were there 13 attacks on embassies and 60 deaths under President George W. Bush?

Garamendi said that "during the George W. Bush period, there were 13 attacks on various embassies and consulates around the world. Sixty people died." There are actually different ways to count the number of attacks, especially when considering attacks on ambassadors and embassy personnel who were traveling to or from embassy property. Overall, we found Garamendi slightly understated the number of deadly attacks and total fatalities, even using a strict definition. Garamendi’s claim is accurate but needs clarification or additional information, so we rate it Mostly True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/may/12/john-garamendi/prior-benghazi-were-there-13-attacks-embassies-and/

Of course, you aren't aware of this, because Hillary Clinton can't be blamed, so Republicans couldn't care less about those deaths.

2.Your second argument is too stupid for me to even comment on except to point out that the FBI has said no such thing.

What I imagine Rapist Trump would say if he found out I refer to him as Rapist Trump:

Trump: he calls me Rapist Trump!
Trump: unfair!
Trump: As if I'm the only man to ever commit rape!
Trump: Oops, did I say that out loud?
Trump: I'll sue who ever releases this!
Trump: It's not like I raped Ivanka...As much as I want to!
Trump: And they say I have no self discipline!
Trump: the most I did was rip all her clothes off!
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »

MAKING AMERICA DEPRESSED AGAIN
MAKING AMERICA AFRAID AGAIN
MAKING AMERICA BORED AGAIN

FOR HEAVENS SAKE MAKE ME STOP TALKING BEFORE I KILL OUR CHANCES I CANNOT CONTROL MYSELF
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2016, 05:47:56 AM »

Apparently, people love it. I guess it's gonna help him greatly in the polls, and may make him the front runner for the presidency.

Personally, I was terrified by this speech.

"I am the Law and Order Candidate"

=

"I will support and sanction police brutality against the citizens of this country. My authority will be unquestionable."

This guys presidency is unacceptable to a level I have never seen before.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2016, 08:19:07 AM »

I'm not posting this in its own thread because it's over the top, but I would like to hear people's thoughts.  Prior to this speech and Trump's unbelievable Presser yesterday, I used to think that he was unstable and erratic, but now I think he is outright deranged. 

The speech was crazy enough but to spend a presser in which he seemed more concerned with seeking revenge on Ted Cruz and repeating insane allegations and, even more stupidly, to spend the presser going after Ted Cruz and John Kasich who are popular Republican politicians in Texas and Ohio respectively, two states Trump is not guaranteed to win, and which he almost certainly can't win the Presidency without, is downright deranged.

I realize Trump has never been charged with any crime, yet alone convicted, but does anybody think, as I think is possible, that he may have committed murder some time in his life?  Obviously he's wealthy enough that he wouldn't have had to have actually carried out the murder himself, but it's also rather obvious he has a violent temper and he's certainly deranged enough that he could easily have lost his head.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »

I realize Trump has never been charged with any crime, yet alone convicted, but does anybody think, as I think is possible, that he may have committed murder some time in his life? 

Если бы,  да кабы, то во рту росли бобы.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »

Trump's speech got a 75% approval rating from a CNN poll, leading them to discredit their own poll right away.

I agree that folks are more pessimistic than the immediate circumstances may justify, but older folks have seen America go backward over a longer span of time than, say, millennials.  For those folks, even for some folks who aren't Trump partisans, Trump's view of the way things are in America are quite realistic, because while things may have gotten better on the margins over the last few years, things have gotten markedly worse over their adult lifetimes, all things considered.  They have seen their social contract discarded, as if it never existed.  Many of them have lost good jobs due to globalism, and they've lost them late in life.  It's one thing to tell a 25 year old to go out and get another job; they can start at the bottom and go somewhere.  But a 55 year old?  They face age discrimination at every turn.  Many of them are offered employment of a nature where there is no upward mobility, as if their life experiences matter not one whit.  Yes they can go back to school; if they don't deplete their retirement accounts to do so, they can enter their Golden Years with student debt and face age discrimination even in professions where there is a shortage of qualified applicants. 

What Hillary Clinton and Black Lives Matter have in common is disregard for law.  Hillary's disregard is well-documented.  BLM actually believes that folks have the legal right to resist a lawful arrest.  BLM actually believe that they have the right to use intimidation and coercion to interrupt folks at their own rallies and take over the podium, and they don't seem to understand why folks have a problem with Donald Trump assert that he's not going to be rolled at HIS podium.  They get it that black folks have, indeed, been mistreated by police, but they also get it that Michael Brown had committed a strong-arm robbery of a frail woman at a convenience store just prior to his being shot by an officer (for which the officer was not charged), and they get it that Eric Garner, a man with over 30 arrests, was actively resisting a lawful arrest by NYPD, albeit, for a misdemeanor.  They see the attacks on police and they remember 1968, and regardless of how crime rates have dropped over time, they realize that it's in no small measure BECAUSE of the so-called "militarization of police" and tougher sentencing laws that have taken habitual criminals off the streets, and they see "reform" proposals as things that undo what has helped make the public safer.

Older Americans lived through violent attacks and they lived through 9/11, but now they see deadly attacks becoming commonplace, and they don't understand why the enemy can't be named.  We named Communists as our enemy.  We named Nazis as our enemy.  But we can't say "Radical Islamic Jihadism" as our current enemy ideology?  What's the deal here? 

Why, then, would it surprise folks that Trump's negativity would play well?  They have a longer view of the world, and the long-term trends haven't bode well for them. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies