Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) vs Evan Bayh (D-Ind)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:48:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) vs Evan Bayh (D-Ind)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) vs Evan Bayh (D-Ind)  (Read 2838 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:59:41 PM »

Suppose both parties nominate their absolute safest choices for 2008, to avoid political nuclear winter (i.e. McCain vs. Hillary!)

Smith is chosen b/c he's a conservative who plays well to libertarians and right-leaning moderates, unlike Frist, Allen, Jeb, etc. And he has good hair.

Bayh is chosen because, well, Democrats keep repeating his name so often for some reason.

You know the rest (maps, partisan trollery, etc.)

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:49:35 PM »

no contest.  gordon smith is far superior.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:52:42 PM »

It'd be a good year for 3rd parties.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 06:03:02 PM »

Smith, of course. It's about time an Oregonian became President, damn it! Cheesy Here's a little map:

Smith wins 274-264.
skybridge
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »

Yeah, we'd have some moderately charismatic choices with this one. Smith would definitely appeal to the religious right whereas Bayh would appeal to most other rational thinking people. Depending on how well Bayh can counter that with a populist message determines how easily he wins.

What sort of connections does Smith have? Other than being the presumed GOP nominee which interest sectors would donate money to him other than the religious right?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

Why would Smith appeal to the religious right?  He's both pro-gay rights and anti-death penalty.  I admire him greatly.  Evan Bayh, too, for that matter.  It would be a hard decision for me, but I'd be happy either way.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:15:35 PM »

Bayh - 332
Smith - 206
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »

I really doubt Bayh could get over 40% in Nebraska.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:37:58 AM »

I really doubt Bayh could get over 40% in Nebraska.

According to the article on the 10 regions, Nebraska and Indiana are part of the same region - Farmland.  Indiana, Kansas, North Dakota, and South Dakota are 100% Farmland.  Nebraska is nearly all Farmland - only the western panhandle is a different region, Sagebrush.  So Bayh could appeal to these other states as well.  Of course, a lot depends on how well he comes across.  If he looks wimpy or puts voters to sleep, he's toast.
skybridge
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:55:27 AM »

Why would Smith appeal to the religious right?  He's both pro-gay rights and anti-death penalty.  I admire him greatly.  Evan Bayh, too, for that matter.  It would be a hard decision for me, but I'd be happy either way.

Just read his CV! It's full of religious stuff.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:11:52 AM »

A religious does not make a religious right, though, and Gordon Smith is one of the most moderate Republican Senators. Even though he's a Mormon from Eastern Oregon. (Plus he's actually a relative of the democratic Udall clan.)
Can you say Tweedledum vs Tweedledee?
skybridge
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 03:13:58 AM »

A religious does not make a religious right, though, and Gordon Smith is one of the most moderate Republican Senators. Even though he's a Mormon from Eastern Oregon. (Plus he's actually a relative of the democratic Udall clan.)

All I said was that he might APPEAL to the religious right more than Evan Bayh.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 08:55:17 AM »

Well, you're always wrong.  With beliefs like populism is for idiots and such you're out of touch with the majority of the American people so it really dosen't matter what you say.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »

All I said was that he might APPEAL to the religious right more than Evan Bayh.

According to the CNN, Indiana exit poll: Bayh attracted the support of 33% of Indiana's white conservative Protestants (28% of the electorate) and 45% of white evangelical/'born-agains' (35% of the electorate). He received the support of 57% of Protestants (69% of the total electorate). So, in national race, he has the potential to appeal to such groups

I can't seem to find any like-exit poll data for Smith in 2002 - but if he's pro-gay rights and anti-death penality, a candidate from the Religious Right could potentially emerge to Smith's right

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »

I wouldn't be so dismissive of Bayh. Could your problem be that he is the candidate many Republicans dread in 2008?

Dave
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 07:44:05 PM »

Bayh v. No-Name Oregonian ?

Bayh wins.  (Unless he really is that uncharismatic)
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 08:11:38 PM »

Bayh - 261
Gordon - 277
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:27 PM »

I personally doubt Bayh would lose WA...but it would be somewhat close. And why do you have Bayh losing his homestate? Against a libertarian like Gordon, I think Indiana would be pretty solid for Bayh.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 11:22:17 PM »

I don't know much about Smith, although he's supposedly one of the more liberal Republicans. I remember he voted against opening the ANWR, so at least I know he's an environmentalist (He is from Oregon, after all!).

I might vote for him, just because he isn't that bad and I could say I voted Republican at least once.

And...did I just see George Nethercutt is someone's signature???
*vomits*
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 02:43:38 PM »

I personally doubt Bayh would lose WA...but it would be somewhat close. And why do you have Bayh losing his homestate? Against a libertarian like Gordon, I think Indiana would be pretty solid for Bayh.

I just don't see Bayh winning Indiana.  He would probably be able to pull off 44% of the vote in Indiana.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 06:52:12 PM »

I wouldn't be so dismissive of Bayh. Could your problem be that he is the candidate many Republicans dread in 2008?

Dave

As a Republican, I must agree with Democratic Hawk. 

I believe Bayh's appeal, as a moderate, would keep the Democratic base intact, more or less, while at the same time, appealing to many moderate Republican and independent voters who would normally side with the GOP candidate.

Bayh is not some raving left wing looney fruitcake (which by the way are in abundance in the Democratic Party), who would drive moderate voters into the open arms of the GOP.  Quite the contrary, Bayh would have appeal to such moderate voters. 

I believe Bayh would indeed be a formidable contender in 2008, if he wins the Democratic Presidential nomination.

In all honesty, as much as I like Gordon Smith, I would have to pick Bayh to win this match up.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »

Whoa, hold on. Bayh is very well known on the Forum; not so much in reality. You could just as easily say "Smith vs. No-Name Indianan", and it would be just as accurate. In any case, name recognition won't matter in the end.
Cashcow

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 11:21:10 PM »

Whoa, hold on. Bayh is very well known on the Forum; not so much in reality. You could just as easily say "Smith vs. No-Name Indianan", and it would be just as accurate. In any case, name recognition won't matter in the end.

A lot of my older friends remember his father quite well, if that counts for anything.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 11:23:41 PM »

His father was nationally known, as one of the liberal stalwarts who went down to defeat during the "Reagan Revolution". I don't think the average voter today (outside of Indiana) has any knowledge of the Bayh name.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »

Smith would appeal to the religious right because Skybridge has no idea what he is talking about.  That's why.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies