Grade Trump Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:53:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Grade Trump Speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Grade Trump Speech
A+

A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

D

F - Failed

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Grade Trump Speech  (Read 2041 times)
ericpolitico
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »

Grade Trump Speech, any comment, will he get positive or negative bounce?
I think Trump's speech is really really really BAD. is too long, too much rambling incoherencies, no structure. Full of demagoguery and fear. Sickening.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »

C-
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:51:50 PM »

D

Very little details on how he will make America remain the worlds only super power. How is he going to stop the crime? The only thing we know is he is going to build a wall and deport people.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »

A-
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:54 AM »

A. Didn't do much to really expand the base though.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:40:08 AM »

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:43 AM »

as someone who attended the RNC, i can tell you the atmosphere after was absolutely amazing. A+++. A historic speech to be remembered
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:27:44 AM »

I might be nuts, but I actually think that was the best acceptance speech in my lifetime. The Democrats should be concerned here.
Trapsy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 03:37:22 AM »

F is for Fear.
Donnie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 03:55:23 AM »

B+
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 04:27:25 AM »

On effectiveness: B. Lots of effective fearmongering. Nothing to expand his appeal much.

On actual content: F.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »

C-
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:16:34 AM »

F for fascist.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 06:19:59 AM »

B+

A- for political effectiveness
C- for factual content - even where I agree with him many of the facts presented were misleading and as a result does not add to the argument.  

It seems his strategy is to push for a massive turnout surge for him among non-evangelical white men  and married white women and gamble that he keeps the evangelical vote somehow this overcomes the anti-Trump counter-mobilization.  I think he will fall short but I like this plan and would be eager to see it in action in Nov.  It will be a blueprint for similar sort of mobilization in the future.  Trump could be the role of Al Smith relative to the FDR coalition of a future White mobilization based majority in the future.  Exciting times.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »

I've listened to the speech a couple of times, and I have to say, there are a lot of solid things that came across in Trump's speech.

Bottom line, I agree with Larry Elder who during the July 21st edition of Hannity wrapping up the convention, said the following about Donald Trump's chances:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 06:54:45 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »

Lol people, do you actually expected any convention speech to have a factual content?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 07:08:26 AM »

A tad too long but still the best convention speech since the Obama keynote. A+.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »

as someone who attended the RNC, i can tell you the atmosphere after was absolutely amazing. A+++. A historic speech to be remembered

I'm sorry I didn't know you were there, I was live posting from the RNC on Mon and Tue, and would have reached out to say hi in person.

Anyway some parts of the speech worked quite well, a challenger should outline the reason for change, and he did that. I don't think a challenger should put a lot of policy prescriptions forward in a nomination speech, and other successful candidates running from the party out of power have focused on vision not details. However the length may have taken some of the power out of the message as seen by the TV viewer. I gave it a B.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 07:49:12 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 07:52:10 AM by Torie »

B-. Effectively delivered, although unremittingly angry sounding, but the endless list of promises that everything will be fixed with mere assertions, and no detail at all, for 75 minutes was too much. The speech also seemed to get repetitive, as it kept reverting back to felonious illegals, no matter what topic Trump supposedly was focusing on (what were the 4 points of his economic plan again?). I liked the part where he spoke about his connection with the forgotten, school choice of course, and that he would bear in mind how decisions would affect them.  The speech certainly was not directed to voters like me, since all it did was reinforce (well, my views of Trump hardly need to be reinforced, so let's say confirmed yet again), that Trump is a self absorbed bully, who just tells folks what they want to hear, no matter how absurd or foolish or unrealistic or dangerous, and does so in an angry uncompromising manner - in short, a reckless authoritarian demagogue, who will do to civil discourse, and lawful processes, what Chris Christie (another authoritarian by the way, but I digress), does to a Big Mac.

Oh. on the fear factor gauge (an algorithm that is a combination of the odds that Trump will win and the degree of harm he will do if elected), on a 0 to 10 scale, with 10 being left in a fetal position, cowering on one's bed, with all doors locked, and a loaded automatic weapon under one's pillow, Trump did succeed in moving me up from a 3 to a 5. Congratulations Donald!
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 08:16:21 AM »

A+++++ if you're already for him.  F if not.  He basically doubled down and think the key to this race is his forgotten majority.  We'll see on the 8th if they are just a figment of his imagination, like his greatness.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »

B-. Effectively delivered, although unremittingly angry sounding, but the endless list of promises that everything will be fixed with mere assertions, and no detail at all, for 75 minutes was too much. The speech also seemed to get repetitive, as it kept reverting back to felonious illegals, no matter what topic Trump supposedly was focusing on (what were the 4 points of his economic plan again?). I liked the part where he spoke about his connection with the forgotten, school choice of course, and that he would bear in mind how decisions would affect them.  The speech certainly was not directed to voters like me, since all it did was reinforce (well, my views of Trump hardly need to be reinforced, so let's say confirmed yet again), that Trump is a self absorbed bully, who just tells folks what they want to hear, no matter how absurd or foolish or unrealistic or dangerous, and does so in an angry uncompromising manner - in short, a reckless authoritarian demagogue, who will do to civil discourse, and lawful processes, what Chris Christie (another authoritarian by the way, but I digress), does to a Big Mac.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »

A-

You're seeing him continue to triangulate and adopt Democratic points, which is effective just as it was for Bill Clinton and Tony Blair in the 1990s. I've gotta hand it to the Republicans, in the last three cycles, despite the Tea Party, they've always gone with a moderate at the top of the ticket. They want to win. The 'fighting for us' theme is an old Hillary favorite (one of her themes this year was just that). Even the "I'm with you" is a crib off "She's with us" which was always the counterpart to "I'm with Her". He even said LGBTQ, talked about protecting workers who lost their jobs, and Ivanka talked about family leave. I had to remind myself which party's convention I was at. The law and order stuff was basically a freebie given to him by BLM. For these reasons it was a strong speech to frame a campaign to appeal to swing voters.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »

A+++++ if you're already for him.  F if not.  He basically doubled down and think the key to this race is his forgotten majority.  We'll see on the 8th if they are just a figment of his imagination, like his greatness.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »

A-, it was a really good speech.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length