Atlasians For A Common Market
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:59:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians For A Common Market
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasians For A Common Market  (Read 962 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »

Multiple polls have shown overwhelming support among Atlasians for the establishment of a common market agreement between our country and the United Kingdom.  I have just proposed a draft for a bill (based on the early common market agreement between Atlasia and Canada) to promote trade between our borders while respecting the sovereignty of our two countries.

While I anticipate future reinstatement of our trade policy with Canada, I feel it necessary to open our markets with the United Kingdom as a first priority, especially as they enter a tumultuous period what with their withdrawal from the European Union.

Under the current draft, Atlasians who move to England would be considered residents of The North, for Scotland the South, and Wales and Northern Ireland for Fremont, for jurisdictional and regional/federal election purposes.

I would like to rally public support for this proposal, but also to spark debate and encourage those interested to share their ideas.

So, who's ready to make history?

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:57 AM »

strongly against. the e.u. is one of atlasia's strongest, most reliable allies, and we shouldn't be rewarding the u.k.'s behaviour.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:52:21 AM »

x Kingpoleon

This idea is the easiest way to solve the new world economic instability due to Brexit. With one fell swoop, we can restore confidence in the world economy again.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »

I support this, however...

Under the current draft, Atlasians who move to England would be considered residents of The North, for Scotland the South, and Wales and Northern Ireland for Fremont, for jurisdictional and regional/federal election purposes.
I oppose this distribution - England and Scotland being the wrong way around, as Scotland is in the North of the UK and should be in the North for jurisdictional/electional purposes and England is in the South of the UK and should be in the South for both.

I've been creating a potential treaty for this, so when it's finished I'll post it here.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

x ClarkKent
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

Some responses to comments/criticism so that we don't clog up the legislation thread:

As mentioned before, I believe the regions for England and Scotland should be swapped due to the geographical locations of both territories within the United Kingdom. I'm not sure why they've been put the way round that they have been. Additionally, Gibraltar would need to be included, as it was a member of the European Union under the UK's membership. For European elections, Gibraltar was considered part of the South West of England - so I would recommend that Gibraltarians are added to the same region as England.

On top of this, I would add a clause stating that this agreement should be subject to the agreement of citizens of both countries via a referendum, under the terms of each countries' constitution.

Also, Section 5, Clauses 2 and 3 are irrelevant to both countries, as we don't share a land or maritime border. Additionally, the treaty cannot go into force while the United Kingdom is a member of the European Union.

I actually can't disagree with any of the points you mentioned here, and I'll make the appropriate changes.  I mainly connected residency from the North to England out of personal preference, but your reasoning is sound.  So I will modify the bill to connect England and Gibraltar to the South and Scotland to the North.

Clauses 2 and 3 were a mistake on my part; it was rather late when I drafted the legislation (most of the language is taken from Simfan's old bill).

I did not know that the UK was unable to enter such trade agreements while they are members of the EU.  That change will be made as well.

I appreciate your assistance with this.

strongly against. the e.u. is one of atlasia's strongest, most reliable allies, and we shouldn't be rewarding the u.k.'s behaviour.

Though I understand your perspective, I do believe it would be unwise to allow a major economy in one of our greatest allies to go without a common market agreement or union of some kind.  If this agreement will boost the economies of both countries, and the people of both nations are in support, I think that the benefits ought to take precedence here.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »

As mentioned before, I believe the regions for England and Scotland should be swapped due to the geographical locations of both territories within the United Kingdom. I'm not sure why they've been put the way round that they have been. Additionally, Gibraltar would need to be included, as it was a member of the European Union under the UK's membership. For European elections, Gibraltar was considered part of the South West of England - so I would recommend that Gibraltarians are added to the same region as England.

On top of this, I would add a clause stating that this agreement should be subject to the agreement of citizens of both countries via a referendum, under the terms of each countries' constitution.

Also, Section 5, Clauses 2 and 3 are irrelevant to both countries, as we don't share a land or maritime border. Additionally, the treaty cannot go into force while the United Kingdom is a member of the European Union.

I actually can't disagree with any of the points you mentioned here, and I'll make the appropriate changes.  I mainly connected residency from the North to England out of personal preference, but your reasoning is sound.  So I will modify the bill to connect England and Gibraltar to the South and Scotland to the North.

Clauses 2 and 3 were a mistake on my part; it was rather late when I drafted the legislation (most of the language is taken from Simfan's old bill).

I did not know that the UK was unable to enter such trade agreements while they are members of the EU.  That change will be made as well.

I appreciate your assistance with this.
That's okay. Smiley

With trade, while the UK (or any other country) is a member of the EU, international trade deals must be negotiated between the European Union and the country that the trade deal would be with. This means that the UK (within the EU) couldn't have an exclusive trade deal with Atlasia; there would have to be an EU-Atlasia trade deal for this to be in place.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »

To clarify: both the president and myself are supportive of the proposed Common Market Agreement with the United Kingdom. However, as this amounts to a significant change in the nature of our relationship with the UK, I wrote to Scott and the Congressional leadership asking that his bill be delayed until after I have met with the British Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary. This will allow us to work out any potential trouble points before hand, and therefore provide for a stronger and more enduring pact.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »

x NeverAgain
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »

Why would Britian join another Common Market, if they just left one. This idea is a little foolish.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »

x Southern Gothic

We must show our commitment to the special relationship we share with the United Kingdom.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2016, 12:38:33 PM by a.scott »

Why would Britian join another Common Market, if they just left one. This idea is a little foolish.

I don't see how you would construe their leave from the EU as opposition to being part of all foreign markets.  We have a long-standing relationship with Britain and I doubt they would reject such a plan.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »

I don't see how you would construe their leave from the EU as opposition to being part of all foreign markets.  We have a long-standing relationship with Britain and I doubt they would reject such a plan.

Indeed, Britain left the EU due to unacceptable political pressure applied by the EU establishment to rob it of its national sovereignty and right to self-determination. My biggest concern is that by assigning the parts of the United Kingdom to the regions of Atlasia, we are opening the door to subjugating it in the same way that the EU sought to.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

Indeed, Britain left the EU due to unacceptable political pressure applied by the EU establishment to rob it of its national sovereignty and right to self-determination. My biggest concern is that by assigning the parts of the United Kingdom to the regions of Atlasia, we are opening the door to subjugating it in the same way that the EU sought to.

That didn't seem to be a problem for Canada when we shared a common market with them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »

That didn't seem to be a problem for Canada when we shared a common market with them.

Canada did not find themselves needing to escape such an arrangement, whereas Britain has. Once bitten, twice shy.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »

A large percentage of people in the UK didn't want the political aspect that has been emerging in the EU, but wanted to keep the Common Market with the EU. Additionally, Leave campaigners were mostly in favour of strong trade deals with English-speaking countries like Atlasia and the Commonwealth.

This would help ease the strain on the western economies that have had a post Brexit-vote shock, by offering the UK a common market deal with a country roughly the same size as the EU.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 05:15:27 PM »

Not to mention, the UK was at least one of the major players in the EU and could interact with other major EU countries like Germany and France as more or less equals. Any sort of economic/political union with the US would basically be annexation. This is extremely unrealistic and unproductive. An NAFTA-like comprehensive FTA with Britain is fine, but even that is not a major priority because the UK provides neither the cheap labor of Mexico or the vast natural resources of Canada.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »

Is there any way we can make a similar deal with Australia and/or New Zealand?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »

Hell No
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »

Hell No
Why not? Their standard of living is comparable, and they are very close culturally. We have strong historical and military ties to both nations.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »

Expanding the NAFTA to be the ANAFTA(Anglo and North American Free Trade Agreement) would make a lot more sense. Maybe Belize and Guyana would be interested as well.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »

Hell No
Why not? Their standard of living is comparable, and they are very close culturally. We have strong historical and military ties to both nations.
I don't support any free trade or any common markets. I'm a strong nationalist deeply against freedom of movement between different countries.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »

Hell No
I don't support any free trade or any common markets. I'm a strong nationalist deeply against freedom of movement between different countries.
But why?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »

Hell No
But why?
Globalism has led to a decrease in the Atlasian Economy and the loss of manufacturing jobs across the Rust Belt in Small Town America and New England.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »

Hell No
But why?
Globalism has led to a decrease in the Atlasian Economy and the loss of manufacturing jobs across the Rust Belt in Small Town America and New England.

You're clearly not well-read on the issue of trade if you seriously think that all trade agreements have led to the loss of jobs in this country.  Europe and Canada aren't taking American jobs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies