Effectiveness of Ivanka Trump's speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Effectiveness of Ivanka Trump's speech?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Effectiveness of Ivanka Trump's speech?  (Read 928 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »

What kind of reaction will women (especially millennials) have to Ivanka's statements regarding equal pay and her father's use of gender neutral hiring practices? I thought that that was a very solid point, and that Ivanka did an incredible job of driving it home.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

If she was the one accepting the nomination for the Democrats, yeah it'd be a terrific speech. Instead she stated all these liberal policies that her dad supposedly was in favor of. It felt dishonest to me.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »

Yeah, there was a complete disconnect here. Why are we supposed to believe that Trump is in favor of those policies she named, which he's never mentioned before?
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »

In all honesty, I doubt any one of his kids speeches will make an impact either way.  They'll be forgotten about in a week.  And besides, it's not like they're offering up objective opinions.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »

Ivanka looks good in comparison to her father, which makes her father look bad
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »

If it had been followed up by a good, positive or genuinely inclusive speech it might have been useful. Otherwise it's just a weird interlude.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »

I think it will be good for Ivanka.  The Trump brand may not survive this election but even if it doesn't I think she still has a bright future, and people will remember how good this speech was.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »

It was a good appetizer for the DNC.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »

Ivanka gave a good speech....which was followed by Trump's downright terrifying one.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »

I think a few people hit the nail on the head. Good speech, seemed out of place, why has Trump never (or infrequently) mentioned these things, etc.

I'd also like to add on that simply because Trump does something in a business capacity does not indicate how he will accomplish the same thing as President. Trump paid women equally. Great, he owns the company. As President, does he plan to pay his own female employees the same as men? Great, but the idea is for women nationally o be on an equal playing field. How will Trump do it? No idea.

You can substitute this issue for any other, etc.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:44 AM »

It was a good speech, but Trump's acceptance speech stole whatever thunder she had.

It was a bad idea to have her speak in the same night as the Donald.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

It may have been a good/ok speech, but trump's will be the one remembered from last night. People won't be talking about the kids' speeches a few weeks from now.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »

I think a few people hit the nail on the head. Good speech, seemed out of place, why has Trump never (or infrequently) mentioned these things, etc.

I'd also like to add on that simply because Trump does something in a business capacity does not indicate how he will accomplish the same thing as President. Trump paid women equally. Great, he owns the company. As President, does he plan to pay his own female employees the same as men? Great, but the idea is for women nationally o be on an equal playing field. How will Trump do it? No idea.

Well, Bill and Hillary Clinton control the Clinton Foundation, don't they? So why isn't anyone asking Hillary why women employed at that organization are being paid $.83 for every dollar paid to men? It's easy to speak in terms of hypotheticals, but actions speak louder than words.

And yes, you can substitute this issue for any other...
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »

Well, Bill and Hillary Clinton control the Clinton Foundation, don't they? So why isn't anyone asking Hillary why women employed at that organization are being paid $.83 for every dollar paid to men? It's easy to speak in terms of hypotheticals, but actions speak louder than words.

Is affordable child care part of Trump's platform? If so, how will he achieve it? If not, why was it a centerpiece of Ivanka's speech?
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »

She gave a great speech and was clearly trying to:
A. humanize her father
B. Target women and independent voters

Why do I get the weird feeling we might see a Chelsea Clinton vs. Ivanka Trump election in the future?
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

You say this as if I don't think it's a fair question. To be doubly fair, I don't think releasing your employee's salaries is called for in either case.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

Yeah, there was a complete disconnect here. Why are we supposed to believe that Trump is in favor of those policies she named, which he's never mentioned before?

As if this is new. The only issue where Trump actually seems to have solid principles is trade.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »

A. humanize her father

If Ivanka needs to speak to the American people, in order to "humanize her father" ..... then that only proves that there is a Yuge PR problem with people viewing trump as an evil monster.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »

A. humanize her father

If Ivanka needs to speak to the American people, in order to "humanize her father" ..... then that only proves that there is a Yuge PR problem with people viewing trump as an evil monster.

Yes? This is common sense.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »

It was decent enough political theater but she sort of forgot to mention the central component of her father's campaign, which is that we're going to round up 11 million people, deport them, split up families, and then proceed to deregulate business and watch as the country becomes a fracked serfdom.

I think the lack of focus on that was intellectually dishonest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies