BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:36:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany  (Read 7857 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »

Per Suddeutsche Zeitung (Munich/Munchen):

Police will provide an update via press conference later tonight regarding the current status. The time is not yet firm. (My German is rusty so might have lost some nuance)

PK noch in der Nacht
Die Polizei will noch in dieser Nacht auf einer Pressekonferenz im Münchner Präsidium über die Lage und den Stand der Ermittlungen informieren. Die Uhrzeit steht allerdings noch nicht fest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »

Police issue a provisional all-clear: strong indications that just one gunman and that he shot himself.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »

Although we don't yet know the motivation of the murder(s) today, this will be the largest act of terrorism in German history since 1980 when a Neo-Nazi blew detonated explosives in a crowded Beer Hall during Oktoberfest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest_terror_attack

The next largest terrorist attack in Germany was committed in 1993 by Neo-Nazi youth in Solingen in NRW murdered five Turkish-Germans in an arson attack on the family house.

Generally, Germany has not experienced any major Terrorist events in the Post WW II era, other than the Munich Olympics hostage deal in '72, a handful of murders at the hands of the RAF in the '70s and '80s, and a few isolated murders tied to Islamists in recent years.

That being said, there have been multiple acts of murder committed by Right-Wing extremists, not included in the definition of "terrorist attacks" that don't show up on the statistics. When I lived in East Berlin in the early '90s there were several neighborhoods dominated by "Kurzhare" or right-wing extremists in an environment where places like Marzahn were "no go" areas without extreme caution for a foreigner (Auslander) like myself.

Today is a sad day for Germany, a country where I made many friends, both "native" Germans as well as those of Turkish and Kurdish background living in heavily immigrant neighborhoods, where we would discuss politics over a beer and cigarettes, and sometimes tea and coffee, or at a local Imbiss.

Germany has a very different history than France/Belgium (and even the UK) when it comes to immigrant populations, and now that the "German Blood Laws" have been overturned, German citizenship and social acceptance into the polity has been long the norm rather than the exception.

I am saddened for not only the friends and family members of those that were murdered today, but also that once again Germany will need to look into their hearts and the ghosts of the past and future present, in order to find meaning in the face of a mass-murder insanity.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »

Although we don't yet know the motivation of the murder(s) today, this will be the largest act of terrorism in German history since 1980 when a Neo-Nazi blew detonated explosives in a crowded Beer Hall during Oktoberfest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest_terror_attack

The next largest terrorist attack in Germany was committed in 1993 by Neo-Nazi youth in Solingen in NRW murdered five Turkish-Germans in an arson attack on the family house.

Generally, Germany has not experienced any major Terrorist events in the Post WW II era, other than the Munich Olympics hostage deal in '72, a handful of murders at the hands of the RAF in the '70s and '80s, and a few isolated murders tied to Islamists in recent years.

That being said, there have been multiple acts of murder committed by Right-Wing extremists, not included in the definition of "terrorist attacks" that don't show up on the statistics. When I lived in East Berlin in the early '90s there were several neighborhoods dominated by "Kurzhare" or right-wing extremists in an environment where places like Marzahn were "no go" areas without extreme caution for a foreigner (Auslander) like myself.

Today is a sad day for Germany, a country where I made many friends, both "native" Germans as well as those of Turkish and Kurdish background living in heavily immigrant neighborhoods, where we would discuss politics over a beer and cigarettes, and sometimes tea and coffee, or at a local Imbiss.

Germany has a very different history than France/Belgium (and even the UK) when it comes to immigrant populations, and now that the "German Blood Laws" have been overturned, German citizenship and social acceptance into the polity has been long the norm rather than the exception.

I am saddened for not only the friends and family members of those that were murdered today, but also that once again Germany will need to look into their hearts and the ghosts of the past and future present, in order to find meaning in the face of a mass-murder insanity.
for comparison: the mass shooting death toll in america is, on average, over ten every two weeks
rob in cal
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »

Did the police chief just say the shooter was an 18 year old Deutschiraner? or did I mishear?
rob in cal
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »

So all the talk about the shooter being of "white German" ethnicity was wrong, wonder how that got started.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 07:37:49 PM by Helsinkian »

While watching Sky News, I thought for a while that I had been mistaken in my first instinct, as they were spinning this as some sort of a far-right terror attack on the anniversary of Breivik's attacks, but it appears that my first guess was correct after all: the suspected shooter was an 18 year old male of Iranian background.

"Pressekonferenz der Polizei München: Tatverdächtiger ist nach jetzigem Stand ein 18-jähriger Deutsch-Iraner aus München."
https://twitter.com/SPIEGELONLINE/status/756646836090331136

"MORE: Suspect is a German national of Iranian descent.  - @dwnews"
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/756646860744339456

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:36 PM »

Shooter believed to be an 18yr old of Iranian descent. Long term resident of the city, no police record. Police remain uncertain of motive.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 08:09:13 PM by MaxQue »

The killer being from Iranian ascent doesn't make things clearer, as it's likely not ISIS.

Almost all Iranians are Shia, while ISIS is "Sunni" and considers Shias to be heretics. It's like a Catholic terrorist from Sweden, it's unlikely, as pretty much all Christians there are Protestants.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »

Also the fact that he had dual nationality suggests that it is likely that he had one German parent.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »

So most likely another nutjob, like the shooter in Orlando, Dallas, Columbia (SC) and Baton Rouge, let alone massive school shootings in America from Oregon (Springfield/Roseburg), Sandy Hook (CT), Kentucky, and Colorado.

A disturbed individual that felt rejected and self-isolated, and not accepted from their peers that likely had extreme mental illness and somehow obtained a weapon to carry out a revenge fantasy of whatever type.

Once again in Europe and America there will be the usual rhetoric from extreme right-wing political leaders trying to blame entire populations for the action of a deranged individual...

Germans are fairly sophisticated on these things, so hopefully won't lead to a rise of extreme violent backlash from the extreme-right with fellow travelers buying the "Anti-Muslim" narrative that the Extremist leaders of Neo-Fascist political parties and movements will most likely try to inspire.
Omega21

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »

The killer being from Iranian ascent doesn't make things clearer, as it's likely not ISIS.

Almost all Iranians are Shia, while ISIS is "Sunni" and considers Shias to be heretics. It's like a Catholic terrorist from Sweden, it's unlikely, as pretty much all Christians there are Protestants.

Doesn't matter if it's ISIS, he was a Radical and you should not give him ANY benefit of the doubt that he wasn't one.

Iran is not really a peaceful country, seeing as they hang Gay people in the 21st century.

I am only glad that the Death toll did not go so high as it was speculated before. Let's just hope the injured make it, and that Europe doesn't get hit again any time soon.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

Doesn't matter if it's ISIS, he was a Radical and you should not give him ANY benefit of the doubt that he wasn't one.

Iran is not really a peaceful country, seeing as they hang Gay people in the 21st century.

I am only glad that the Death toll did not go so high as it was speculated before. Let's just hope the injured make it, and that Europe doesn't get hit again any time soon.

Dude... do you have any sources on the shooter being " a radical", whatever that means?

Have you ever actually lived abroad or in Germany? Have you ever actually lived within and been part of immigrant communities of America (Which I am assuming is your native country).

Are you a 15 year old kid that has no idea of the complexities of America and the world at large, or this just a rant with no facts to back it up?

Reality is that have a tragedy in Germany, committed at the hands of a disturbed young man, and according to the latest updates of mixed German-Iranian parents.

Not sure what your angle is on this, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn, when you shoot out base comments that disparage anyone associated with Iran, and of Iranian background.

Maybe when you grow up in 20 years, you will actually come to know and meet real Iranians and Iranian-Americans, like I have over the past 40+ years and not just spew hatred and stereotypes.

I will now assume you are just a troll and block your posts, unless you actually post something intelligent on the subject, in what is a giant tragedy for Germans of all backgrounds and not whatever your pet theory happens to be.

Not sure where you are going with the Iranian persecution of the LGBT community, and don't think this has anything to do with the mass murder in Germany. This wasn't Orlando at all in any way shape or form, and it really seems like you just hate Muslims and want to troll (Hopefully I am wrong).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 12:36:27 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:42:20 AM by Snowguy716 »

Dude... do you have any sources on the shooter being " a radical", whatever that means?

Have you ever actually lived abroad or in Germany? Have you ever actually lived within and been part of immigrant communities of America (Which I am assuming is your native country).

Are you a 15 year old kid that has no idea of the complexities of America and the world at large, or this just a rant with no facts to back it up?

Reality is that have a tragedy in Germany, committed at the hands of a disturbed young man, and according to the latest updates of mixed German-Iranian parents.

Not sure what your angle is on this, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn, when you shoot out base comments that disparage anyone associated with Iran, and of Iranian background.

Maybe when you grow up in 20 years, you will actually come to know and meet real Iranians and Iranian-Americans, like I have over the past 40+ years and not just spew hatred and stereotypes.

I will now assume you are just a troll and block your posts, unless you actually post something intelligent on the subject, in what is a giant tragedy for Germans of all backgrounds and not whatever your pet theory happens to be.

Not sure where you are going with the Iranian persecution of the LGBT community, and don't think this has anything to do with the mass murder in Germany. This wasn't Orlando at all in any way shape or form, and it really seems like you just hate Muslims and want to troll (Hopefully I am wrong).
Talk about badly misplaced over reaction.  While I could be mistaken...from other posts in this thread, it appears Omega 21 might be a German.

And Omega21 brings up a valid point.  Iran hangs gay people in 2016.  That's disgusting.

As for those killed...rest in peace.  I hope the Germans response isnt to further alienate 'ausländer'.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »

While I could be mistaken...from other posts in this thread, it appears Omega 21 might be a German.

He said he's from Bosnia.

Anyway, it seems this was mostly the act of a guy with psychological/drug-related problems.

He may have radicalized recently, but that's not sure (let's see what the police finds in his room).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »

Most of these recent attacks have been mentally unstable people using Islamic radicalism as an excuse to commit these acts. Lone wolf type attacks you see all the time in America with guns, with the reason being different with every deranged individual. Of course in Orlando, you saw the confluence of the two like we are seeing so frequently in Europe these days. Very sad.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2016, 02:26:05 AM »

While the police investigation is far from concluded we may assume that this is yet another instance of radical islamic terrorism. A mix of factor seems to have been the reason as the terrorist is said to have been mentally ill. This obviously raises the question how such a person was able to acquire a gun in Germany of all places.

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2016, 04:23:47 AM »

I'm going to guess that this case has no connection with radical Islamism.
Firstl, look at the ethnic identity of the shooter, and secondly audio has emerged suggesting he was motivated by Ausländerfeindlichkeit
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2016, 04:38:31 AM »

The police will give a press conference soon.

They searched the apartment of the attacker in the morning in the Maxvorstadt district (he still lived with his parents and was a student).

The victims were all young people between 14-21 years old, except for one over-40 year old woman.

3 people are still critically injured, incl. a 12-year old boy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2016, 04:56:01 AM »

From the press conference:

* attacker was in psychiatric care
* was taking antidepressants
* failed recently at a school exam
* amok literature was found in his room
* no connection whatsoever to IS or radical Islam
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2016, 04:59:09 AM »

The weapon was an illegal Glock, with the serial number removed.

Police is still trying to find out where he got this illegal weapon.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2016, 05:09:52 AM »

Have they explicitly mentioned "radical Islam" at all? From what I have understood they merely ruled out ties to IS.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:16 AM »

Have they explicitly mentioned "radical Islam" at all? From what I have understood they merely ruled out ties to IS.

Zuwo, look at his ethnicity. Very unlikely this sort of person would be influenced by radical Islam.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2016, 06:11:35 AM »

Yeah, radical Islam of the sort that leads to random people getting killed is pretty much exclusively Sunni and Iranians are mainly Shia.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »

Yeah, radical Islam of the sort that leads to random people getting killed is pretty much exclusively Sunni and Iranians are mainly Shia.

I'm not well versed enough to say categorically, but I'm pretty sure this is a gross simplification.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies