BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany  (Read 7844 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:12 AM »

Yeah, radical Islam of the sort that leads to random people getting killed is pretty much exclusively Sunni and Iranians are mainly Shia.

Ftr, the 2014 Sydney Lindt Cafe gunman was an Iranian convert to Sunni Islam who pledged loyalty to IS.  Of course, like many of these guys, he had some serious mental problems, and probably latched onto whatever ideology proved the best outlet for his paranoia.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:28 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 06:24:42 AM by True Federalist »

Yeah, radical Islam of the sort that leads to random people getting killed is pretty much exclusively Sunni and Iranians are mainly Shia.

I'm not well versed enough to say categorically, but I'm pretty sure this is a gross simplification.

Both IS and AQ consider Shias to be heretics and they often go out of their way to do them harm. They and their associates aren't going to appeal to Shias. There are radical Shias, but to date targeting random civilians hasn't been their thing.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2016, 06:23:31 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 11:33:39 AM by Sozialliberal »

The police also said that the perpetrator presumedly hacked a Facebook account and invited people to the fast food restaurant where the shooting took place.

There is a video showing a quarrel that presumedly took place before (probably during) the shooting. In this video, we can hear one person (probably a resident who observed the shooter from his window/balcony) shouting a lot of verbal abuse, calling the other person a "wanker" and an "asshole" several times. He also yelled "Scheiß Kanaken!". "Kanake" is a highly offensive term for a foreigner in German. He mentioned that the other person had a gun. You can hear shots at the end of the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=WlDkgAhvzQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5ag-8_bjg (original video)

So all the talk about the shooter being of "white German" ethnicity was wrong, wonder how that got started.
The other person in the video, who is assumed to be the perpetrator by the police, said these things during the quarrel:
"I am German!"
"I was born here!"
He also said that he had been "bullied for seven years".

We don't even know much about what happened and the xenophobes are already jumping to conclusions
I wholeheartedly agree.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2016, 06:40:48 AM »

Seems that he was born in the city and that the fact that this happened on the anniversary of the Utøya massacre was not coincidental. I wonder whether the site of the murders was also deliberate given what used to be there? Yuck.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 11:04:35 AM by Sozialliberal »

Seems that he was born in the city and that the fact that this happened on the anniversary of the Utøya massacre was not coincidental. I wonder whether the site of the murders was also deliberate given what used to be there? Yuck.
Huh? Did you misread my post? It was not the perpetrator who was shouting the abuse.

To make it more clear:
It is very unlikely that the perpetrator was a terrorist.
It is likely that the perpetrator was a mentally unstable victim of xenophobic (had drawn that conclusion from my earlier post, which I corrected) bullying who wanted to take revenge.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »

I'm not well versed enough to say categorically, but I'm pretty sure this is a gross simplification.

That statement is testable.
Omega21

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 07:27:05 AM »

Huh? Did you misread my post? It was not the perpetrator who was shouting the abuse.

To make it more clear:
It is likely that the perpetrator was a mentally unstable victim of xenophobic bullying who wanted to take revenge.

Please don't defend him, I'm really surprised that he is just a nutjob and not connected to Extremism, but don't blame "bullying" for this gruesome act.

He was clearly crazy and nothing triggered this other than his ill conceived thoughts..
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 07:31:19 AM »

No, I wasn't responding to your post but just posting updates not mentioned in thread.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »

Well, according to Bild he was bullied by Turks and Arabs at school. 3 of the victims are Turks as well + a couple of Kosovo Albanians. So we have an Iranian Breivik fan here?
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 08:40:14 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 08:44:48 AM by Sozialliberal »

To make it more clear:
It is likely that the perpetrator was a mentally unstable victim of xenophobic bullying who wanted to take revenge.

Please don't defend him, I'm really surprised that he is just a nutjob and not connected to Extremism, but don't blame "bullying" for this gruesome act.

He was clearly crazy and nothing triggered this other than his ill conceived thoughts..

Of course, bullying is never an excuse for killing a person. I'm not defending the perpetrator. I'm just trying to understand what makes people commit such horrendous crimes. I think that could help prevent some events of that kind in the future. We don't have enough information to certainly know whether bullying really played an important role in this case, though. It just seems likely at the moment.

Insulting a mentally unstable person as a "nutjob" is not helpful, quite the contrary.

No, I wasn't responding to your post but just posting updates not mentioned in thread.
Okay, I just read that the police assumes that this shooting is connected with the Utøya massacre because it happened on the fifth anniversary of the latter event, too.

Well, according to Bild he was bullied by Turks and Arabs at school. 3 of the victims are Turks as well + a couple of Kosovo Albanians. So we have an Iranian Breivik fan here?
Personally, I wouldn't trust Bild as a source.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »

Eh I'm just posting what the news says.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »

Eh I'm just posting what the news says.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of that. Sorry.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36874497?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »

According to studies, most serial killers are right-wingers, so it's not that surprising that he wanted to kill foreigners. Doesn't really matter if he was German-Iranian, he was born in Germany and lived there for 18 years.
rob in cal
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »

In the BBC article it says both parents were asylum seekers in the 1990's, so he was full Iranian in ethnicity I'm guessing?  Politically it would seem that those on the right can still argue that this is the long term effect of non-European immigration.  These problems might not show up immediately, but do in the 2nd generation, as we see in France. 
  I'm not saying that's a correct assumption, merely that those on the right will argue that.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

According to Tagesschau, it had no political background. So, no connection to radical islam. But that doesn't make it better for the family and friends of the victims. Sad!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »

In the BBC article it says both parents were asylum seekers in the 1990's, so he was full Iranian in ethnicity I'm guessing?  Politically it would seem that those on the right can still argue that this is the long term effect of non-European immigration.  These problems might not show up immediately, but do in the 2nd generation, as we see in France.  
  I'm not saying that's a correct assumption, merely that those on the right will argue that.

Ehh, this case had nothing to do with immigration (and I'm usually quite critical of these immigration-related things and crimes).

This guy was no different than the Columbine killers, a Breivik or some German who killed people in a school.
rob in cal
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »

But Tender, those on the right could certainly argue, " if we had our way his parents never would have been allowed to immigrate here in the first place, so if we had always had a restrictive immigration policy like we want  this shooting never would have happened" .  I could certainly see that argument taking place.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »

buddy, if virulent xenophobes like tender and hifly are telling you to chill, you might be going a bit far
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »

But Tender, those on the right could certainly argue, " if we had our way his parents never would have been allowed to immigrate here in the first place, so if we had always had a restrictive immigration policy like we want  this shooting never would have happened" .  I could certainly see that argument taking place.

Yeah ... no.

In this case 6 Mio. people would probably not have died in WW2, because Hitler would have been stopped at the German border and not allowed in.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »

buddy, if virulent xenophobes like tender and hifly are telling you to chill, you might be going a bit far

Roll Eyes
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 11:33:08 AM by Sozialliberal »

In the BBC article it says both parents were asylum seekers in the 1990's, so he was full Iranian in ethnicity I'm guessing?  Politically it would seem that those on the right can still argue that this is the long term effect of non-European immigration.  These problems might not show up immediately, but do in the 2nd generation, as we see in France.  
I think that could happen.

I corrected some things in my earlier posts (Changes stand out in bold type.)Sad
The police also said that the perpetrator presumedly hacked a Facebook account and invited people to the fast food restaurant where the shooting took place.

There is a video showing a quarrel that presumedly took place before (probably during) the shooting. In this video, we can hear one person (probably a resident who observed the shooter from his window/balcony)  shouting a lot of verbal abuse, calling the other person a "wanker" and an "asshole" several times. He also yelled "Scheiß Kanaken!". "Kanake" is a highly offensive term for a foreigner in German. He mentioned that the other person had a gun. You can hear shots at the end of the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=WlDkgAhvzQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5ag-8_bjg (original video)

So all the talk about the shooter being of "white German" ethnicity was wrong, wonder how that got started.
The other person in the video, who is assumed to be the perpetrator by the police, said these things during the quarrel:
"I am German!"
"I was born here!"
He also said that he had been "bullied for seven years".

We don't even know much about what happened and the xenophobes are already jumping to conclusions
I wholeheartedly agree.

To make it more clear:
It is likely that the perpetrator was a mentally unstable victim of xenophobic (had drawn that conclusion from my earlier post, which I corrected) bullying who wanted to take revenge.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 11:44:38 AM by ingemann »

It's a simplification, but it's not gross, we have seen Shia terror, but it's quite different. First of all Shia terrorist tend to trained operative of organised armed groups (primarily Hezbollah) send their choice of target is not random restaurants or some random people. Mostly their target outside the Middle East have been Jews or Israelis. While in the Middle East they target members of the other "parties" in Lebanon (parties in Lebanon usual have their own armed forces, and most people would prefer fighting almost any Arab army over those parties militant wings, including Hezbollah who's terrified that the other parties unite against them, which is why Hezbollah is one of the few groups in the Middle East who downplay their strenght).

As for this shooting at least seven of the dead are from immigrant groups (3 Turks, 3 Kosovo Albanians, 1 Greek), while the eigth named victim was likely the child of Romanian German who had emigrated back to Germany, the ninth victim is unknown.

As for the racist term my guess is that it have likely been used in a in-group use like how the so called "N-word" is used by African Americans.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

You object to the characterisation?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »

This seems to be more like Germany's Columbine than anything else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies