BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany  (Read 7861 times)
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »

As for the racist term my guess is that it have likely been used in a in-group use like how the so called "N-word" is used by African Americans.
He was clearly offended by the use of the word because he responded with "I am German!" and "I was born here!".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

buddy, if virulent xenophobes like tender and hifly are telling you to chill, you might be going a bit far

Roll Eyes

You object to the characterisation?

Of course, I'm not a xenophobe.

This seems to be more like Germany's Columbine than anything else.

Not really. Germany's Columbine happened in 2002 and 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_school_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnenden_school_shooting
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »

As for the racist term my guess is that it have likely been used in a in-group use like how the so called "N-word" is used by African Americans.
He was clearly offended by the use of the word because he responded with "I am German!" and "I was born here!".

In use can be just as ugly and offensive as when "outsiders" use it.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »

In use can be just as ugly and offensive as when "outsiders" use it.
Yes, there are some young people with a migrant background who use the word "Kanake" in that way.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Maybe this should be a lesson to many of us that we shouldn't jump to conclusions when it comes to these attacks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »

Maybe this should be a lesson to many of us that we shouldn't jump to conclusions when it comes to these attacks.

Yes. I did try to indicate at that (because wasn't it odd the authorities were being so cagey? 'Normally' they aren't) but...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »

Amazing how far away things seem to be from reporting yesterday. Apparently the Active Shooter Breaking News Rules applies overseas too, especially Rule 4 "There is almost never a second shooter" (and in this case certainly not a third).
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »

"Update - German police: Syrian refugee armed with machete arrested in #Reutlingen near #Stuttgart after killing woman & injuring two others"
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/757250323752837121
Omega21

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »

"Update - German police: Syrian refugee armed with machete arrested in #Reutlingen near #Stuttgart after killing woman & injuring two others"
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/757250323752837121

Someone should make a new Thread for these kind of crimes.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »

what our esteemed nazi friend conveniëntly fails to mention is that police have made clear there is no reason to suspect a terroristic motive
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2016, 05:41:31 PM »

The killer being from Iranian ascent doesn't make things clearer, as it's likely not ISIS.

Almost all Iranians are Shia, while ISIS is "Sunni" and considers Shias to be heretics. It's like a Catholic terrorist from Sweden, it's unlikely, as pretty much all Christians there are Protestants.

Doesn't matter if it's ISIS, he was a Radical and you should not give him ANY benefit of the doubt that he wasn't one.

Iran is not really a peaceful country, seeing as they hang Gay people in the 21st century.

I am only glad that the Death toll did not go so high as it was speculated before. Let's just hope the injured make it, and that Europe doesn't get hit again any time soon.

Dude... do you have any sources on the shooter being " a radical", whatever that means?

Have you ever actually lived abroad or in Germany? Have you ever actually lived within and been part of immigrant communities of America (Which I am assuming is your native country).

Are you a 15 year old kid that has no idea of the complexities of America and the world at large, or this just a rant with no facts to back it up?

Reality is that have a tragedy in Germany, committed at the hands of a disturbed young man, and according to the latest updates of mixed German-Iranian parents.

Not sure what your angle is on this, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn, when you shoot out base comments that disparage anyone associated with Iran, and of Iranian background.

Maybe when you grow up in 20 years, you will actually come to know and meet real Iranians and Iranian-Americans, like I have over the past 40+ years and not just spew hatred and stereotypes.

I will now assume you are just a troll and block your posts, unless you actually post something intelligent on the subject, in what is a giant tragedy for Germans of all backgrounds and not whatever your pet theory happens to be.

Not sure where you are going with the Iranian persecution of the LGBT community, and don't think this has anything to do with the mass murder in Germany. This wasn't Orlando at all in any way shape or form, and it really seems like you just hate Muslims and want to troll (Hopefully I am wrong).
Talk about badly misplaced over reaction.  While I could be mistaken...from other posts in this thread, it appears Omega 21 might be a German.

And Omega21 brings up a valid point.  Iran hangs gay people in 2016.  That's disgusting.

As for those killed...rest in peace.  I hope the Germans response isnt to further alienate 'ausländer'.

My genuine and sincere apologies to both the fellow members of the thread, as well as Omega21 personally for misrepresenting his comments, for what was an extreme and misplaced over-reaction to the recent mass-murder in Germany committed at the hands of mentally disturbed individual.

Reality is that all to quickly these incidents are immediately blamed on "Radical Islamists" and "immigrants/foreigners" that have deep roots, frequently over multiple generations, in their "adopted country", where there has been systematic patterns of racism and discrimination over decades, and most significantly massive acts of violence occur at the hands of "Right-Wing Extremists".

Iran is not a great country in any way shape or form when it comes to civil liberties, LGBT rights, suppression of women, etc....

However, political asylum seekers in Germany from the '60s onward were political persecuted populations from the Turkish/Kurdish populations, Refugees from the Civil War in Yugoslavia in the early '90s, Afghani's fleeing the civil war in the early '90s when Herkmatayer was shelling Kabul, and Iranians that fled after the mass persecution and murder of the political left when the fundamentalists took control of the Iranian Revolution.

Germany has been a beacon a freedom for those fleeing political persecution and violence for quite a few decades now, more so than just about any other major industrialized nation.

Let's hope these incidents don't create yet another backlash, like what last happened shortly after German reunification.

Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »

what our esteemed nazi friend conveniëntly fails to mention is that police have made clear there is no reason to suspect a terroristic motive

Does it matter? In any case we have here a "refugee" who was taken in by your society and who then decided to repay that kindness by commiting murder. Kind of goes against the Communist narrative of the poor Syrians simply wanting to restart their lives away from the violence of their home country.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »

And now there's been an explosion in the German city of Ansbach.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:08 PM »

And now there's been an explosion in the German city of Ansbach.

Apparently a suicide bomber tried to get in to a music festival, was denied entry, and then set off his bomb nearby. It seems that the bomber is the only fatality, but there are others who were injured.

(Hey evergreen, do you think this had something to do with terrorism?)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »

The bomber was a Syrian refugee.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »

"Bavaria interior minister quoted saying #Ansbach restaurant suicide bomber was from #Syria, had been denied entry to nearby music fest."
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/757394740086185984

I wonder if the Leftists will accuse the festival's guards of racial profiling for denying him entry.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »

"Bavaria interior minister quoted saying #Ansbach restaurant suicide bomber was from #Syria, had been denied entry to nearby music fest."
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/757394740086185984

I wonder if the Leftists will accuse the festival's guards of racial profiling for denying him entry.

Maybe if Germany had made more of an effort to make him feel welcome, he wouldn't have had to try and kill them.  Not his fault!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2016, 12:11:22 AM »

Just a year ago you were ridiculing me when I pointed out the coming crime and terror wave because of Merkel's failed welcome policy ...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »

Welcoming several thousands refugees probably really would have been fine. Having Germany's population increase by 11% in one year, is probably too much migration for any country to handle, that quickly. There's a middle road between a total ban on refugees and accepting decades worth of normal immigration in one fell swoop.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »

Welcoming several thousands refugees probably really would have been fine. Having Germany's population increase by 11% in one year, is probably too much migration for any country to handle, that quickly. There's a middle road between a total ban on refugees and accepting decades worth of normal immigration in one fell swoop.
I have to agree.

Canada is accepting about 25000 a year, so I wouldn't criticize Germany if they had only taken in 75000 instead.
rob in cal
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2016, 01:09:42 AM »

I wonder how much copy-cating is going on.  First the Wurzburg attack, then Munich, then in Baden Wurtemberg, now Ansbach.  Perhaps there was a queue of disturbed attackers who were waiting for someone to start, and now they are inspired to get in on the act.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2016, 05:39:08 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2016, 05:46:53 AM by Sozialliberal »

Detailed description of the bomb attack in Ansbach

A bomb attack occurred in the Bavarian town Ansbach on Sunday evening. The perpetrator was killed and at least twelve other people were injured, three of them severely. The attack happened at the entrance of a music festival with more than 2,000 attendees.

The perpetrator tried to enter the festival site but was dismissed because he didn't have a ticket. Then he set off the bomb that he had hidden in his rucksack around 10 p.m. Apparently, the perpetrator added nails or shards of metal to the bomb so that it would cause more damage. He had had a telephone conversation immediately before he set off the bomb. The public prosecutor's office is trying to find out with whom he had communicated.

According to the Bavarian Minister of the Interior, the perpetrator was a 27-year-old Syrian who had arrived two years ago in Germany. His application for asylum was rejected for unknown reasons a year ago. However, his residence in Germany was tolerated by the authorities. He had committed other offences before this attack (e.g. a drug-related offence). He had also attempted to commit suicide two times in Germany, which is why he underwent psychiatric treatment. It is unknown whether he had any connection with Islamic fundamentalism.

Sources:
http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2016-07/ansbach-explosion-sprengstoff
http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/27-jahriger-syrer-zundet-sprengsatz-in-ansbach-1.5369153
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:50 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other words, Germany's relaxed immigration/deportation policies bear a part of the blame. This guy should have been deported after his asylum application was rejected or, at the latest, after he had committed crimes in Germany.
Omega21

« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other words, Germany's relaxed immigration/deportation policies bear a part of the blame. This guy should have been deported after his asylum application was rejected or, at the latest, after he had committed crimes in Germany.

I dont blame the policies, I blame those who vote for parties which stand behind these policies, like the Greens.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2016, 02:00:53 PM by Sozialliberal »

Update: Ansbach bomb attack

The Ansbach bomb attack was an Islamist act of terror. In a mobile-phone video, the perpetrator announced an act of retaliation against the Germans because they killed Muslims. According to a first translation, he said that he acted "in the name of God". The investigators found materials with which he built the bomb in his room in the refugee home. They also found a laptop with Islamist videos that glorify violence. The perpetrator had six Facebook accounts that were full of Islamist content and glorification of violence. The IS agency Amak said that the bomber was a "soldier of the Islamic State." The Bavarian Minister of the Interior announced that he is going to increase police staff.

The mayor of Ansbach said at a press conference that 15 people were injured, four of them severely. Their lives are not in danger. Only the perpetrator himself was killed.

A spokesman of the Federal Ministry of the Interior said that the Ansbach bomber ought to have been deported to Bulgaria. He stated that he couldn't say why the deportation didn't take place because the regional states (Bavaria in this case) are in charge of deportations. It was later stated at a press conference that the perpetrator was going to be deported in mid-August.

Source: http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/27-jahriger-syrer-zundet-sprengsatz-in-ansbach-1.5369153

I dont blame the policies, I blame those who vote for parties which stand behind these policies, like the Greens.
The Greens are not in government. Only the CDU, the CSU and the SPD can be blamed for this. Especially the CDU under Merkel can be blamed because security used to be the essence of CDU policy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies