BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: 4 terror attacks/bombings/shootings in Southern Germany  (Read 7932 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 22, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »

Bavarian Interior Minister is indicating that there may well only be one perp:

Per Abenzeitung from Munich.

" Innenministerium: nur ein Täter?+++

N24 berichtet, dass das bayerische Innenministerium davon ausgeht, dass es sich wohl eher um einen Täter handelt. Eine Bestätigung gibt es hierfür allerdings noch nicht."
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »

Per Suddeutsche Zeitung (Munich/Munchen):

Police will provide an update via press conference later tonight regarding the current status. The time is not yet firm. (My German is rusty so might have lost some nuance)

PK noch in der Nacht
Die Polizei will noch in dieser Nacht auf einer Pressekonferenz im Münchner Präsidium über die Lage und den Stand der Ermittlungen informieren. Die Uhrzeit steht allerdings noch nicht fest.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »

Although we don't yet know the motivation of the murder(s) today, this will be the largest act of terrorism in German history since 1980 when a Neo-Nazi blew detonated explosives in a crowded Beer Hall during Oktoberfest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest_terror_attack

The next largest terrorist attack in Germany was committed in 1993 by Neo-Nazi youth in Solingen in NRW murdered five Turkish-Germans in an arson attack on the family house.

Generally, Germany has not experienced any major Terrorist events in the Post WW II era, other than the Munich Olympics hostage deal in '72, a handful of murders at the hands of the RAF in the '70s and '80s, and a few isolated murders tied to Islamists in recent years.

That being said, there have been multiple acts of murder committed by Right-Wing extremists, not included in the definition of "terrorist attacks" that don't show up on the statistics. When I lived in East Berlin in the early '90s there were several neighborhoods dominated by "Kurzhare" or right-wing extremists in an environment where places like Marzahn were "no go" areas without extreme caution for a foreigner (Auslander) like myself.

Today is a sad day for Germany, a country where I made many friends, both "native" Germans as well as those of Turkish and Kurdish background living in heavily immigrant neighborhoods, where we would discuss politics over a beer and cigarettes, and sometimes tea and coffee, or at a local Imbiss.

Germany has a very different history than France/Belgium (and even the UK) when it comes to immigrant populations, and now that the "German Blood Laws" have been overturned, German citizenship and social acceptance into the polity has been long the norm rather than the exception.

I am saddened for not only the friends and family members of those that were murdered today, but also that once again Germany will need to look into their hearts and the ghosts of the past and future present, in order to find meaning in the face of a mass-murder insanity.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »

So most likely another nutjob, like the shooter in Orlando, Dallas, Columbia (SC) and Baton Rouge, let alone massive school shootings in America from Oregon (Springfield/Roseburg), Sandy Hook (CT), Kentucky, and Colorado.

A disturbed individual that felt rejected and self-isolated, and not accepted from their peers that likely had extreme mental illness and somehow obtained a weapon to carry out a revenge fantasy of whatever type.

Once again in Europe and America there will be the usual rhetoric from extreme right-wing political leaders trying to blame entire populations for the action of a deranged individual...

Germans are fairly sophisticated on these things, so hopefully won't lead to a rise of extreme violent backlash from the extreme-right with fellow travelers buying the "Anti-Muslim" narrative that the Extremist leaders of Neo-Fascist political parties and movements will most likely try to inspire.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

The killer being from Iranian ascent doesn't make things clearer, as it's likely not ISIS.

Almost all Iranians are Shia, while ISIS is "Sunni" and considers Shias to be heretics. It's like a Catholic terrorist from Sweden, it's unlikely, as pretty much all Christians there are Protestants.

Doesn't matter if it's ISIS, he was a Radical and you should not give him ANY benefit of the doubt that he wasn't one.

Iran is not really a peaceful country, seeing as they hang Gay people in the 21st century.

I am only glad that the Death toll did not go so high as it was speculated before. Let's just hope the injured make it, and that Europe doesn't get hit again any time soon.

Dude... do you have any sources on the shooter being " a radical", whatever that means?

Have you ever actually lived abroad or in Germany? Have you ever actually lived within and been part of immigrant communities of America (Which I am assuming is your native country).

Are you a 15 year old kid that has no idea of the complexities of America and the world at large, or this just a rant with no facts to back it up?

Reality is that have a tragedy in Germany, committed at the hands of a disturbed young man, and according to the latest updates of mixed German-Iranian parents.

Not sure what your angle is on this, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn, when you shoot out base comments that disparage anyone associated with Iran, and of Iranian background.

Maybe when you grow up in 20 years, you will actually come to know and meet real Iranians and Iranian-Americans, like I have over the past 40+ years and not just spew hatred and stereotypes.

I will now assume you are just a troll and block your posts, unless you actually post something intelligent on the subject, in what is a giant tragedy for Germans of all backgrounds and not whatever your pet theory happens to be.

Not sure where you are going with the Iranian persecution of the LGBT community, and don't think this has anything to do with the mass murder in Germany. This wasn't Orlando at all in any way shape or form, and it really seems like you just hate Muslims and want to troll (Hopefully I am wrong).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:41:31 PM »

The killer being from Iranian ascent doesn't make things clearer, as it's likely not ISIS.

Almost all Iranians are Shia, while ISIS is "Sunni" and considers Shias to be heretics. It's like a Catholic terrorist from Sweden, it's unlikely, as pretty much all Christians there are Protestants.

Doesn't matter if it's ISIS, he was a Radical and you should not give him ANY benefit of the doubt that he wasn't one.

Iran is not really a peaceful country, seeing as they hang Gay people in the 21st century.

I am only glad that the Death toll did not go so high as it was speculated before. Let's just hope the injured make it, and that Europe doesn't get hit again any time soon.

Dude... do you have any sources on the shooter being " a radical", whatever that means?

Have you ever actually lived abroad or in Germany? Have you ever actually lived within and been part of immigrant communities of America (Which I am assuming is your native country).

Are you a 15 year old kid that has no idea of the complexities of America and the world at large, or this just a rant with no facts to back it up?

Reality is that have a tragedy in Germany, committed at the hands of a disturbed young man, and according to the latest updates of mixed German-Iranian parents.

Not sure what your angle is on this, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn, when you shoot out base comments that disparage anyone associated with Iran, and of Iranian background.

Maybe when you grow up in 20 years, you will actually come to know and meet real Iranians and Iranian-Americans, like I have over the past 40+ years and not just spew hatred and stereotypes.

I will now assume you are just a troll and block your posts, unless you actually post something intelligent on the subject, in what is a giant tragedy for Germans of all backgrounds and not whatever your pet theory happens to be.

Not sure where you are going with the Iranian persecution of the LGBT community, and don't think this has anything to do with the mass murder in Germany. This wasn't Orlando at all in any way shape or form, and it really seems like you just hate Muslims and want to troll (Hopefully I am wrong).
Talk about badly misplaced over reaction.  While I could be mistaken...from other posts in this thread, it appears Omega 21 might be a German.

And Omega21 brings up a valid point.  Iran hangs gay people in 2016.  That's disgusting.

As for those killed...rest in peace.  I hope the Germans response isnt to further alienate 'ausländer'.

My genuine and sincere apologies to both the fellow members of the thread, as well as Omega21 personally for misrepresenting his comments, for what was an extreme and misplaced over-reaction to the recent mass-murder in Germany committed at the hands of mentally disturbed individual.

Reality is that all to quickly these incidents are immediately blamed on "Radical Islamists" and "immigrants/foreigners" that have deep roots, frequently over multiple generations, in their "adopted country", where there has been systematic patterns of racism and discrimination over decades, and most significantly massive acts of violence occur at the hands of "Right-Wing Extremists".

Iran is not a great country in any way shape or form when it comes to civil liberties, LGBT rights, suppression of women, etc....

However, political asylum seekers in Germany from the '60s onward were political persecuted populations from the Turkish/Kurdish populations, Refugees from the Civil War in Yugoslavia in the early '90s, Afghani's fleeing the civil war in the early '90s when Herkmatayer was shelling Kabul, and Iranians that fled after the mass persecution and murder of the political left when the fundamentalists took control of the Iranian Revolution.

Germany has been a beacon a freedom for those fleeing political persecution and violence for quite a few decades now, more so than just about any other major industrialized nation.

Let's hope these incidents don't create yet another backlash, like what last happened shortly after German reunification.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies