Jeb Bush to Endorse Gary Johnson Next Week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush to Endorse Gary Johnson Next Week?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Jeb Bush to Endorse Gary Johnson Next Week?  (Read 5462 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »

Jeb Bush is absolutely pathetic.  Sad he has gone this low.   

Sorry Jeb but not every Bush male is intitled to be President.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »

Talk about strange bedfellows. I remember Johnson wearing a peace sign shirt under his open jacket more than half the time during 2012. Who thought we'd see a Bush endorse a guy who beat the anti-war drum hard just four years ago?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »

lol literally the IRAQ AND GOLF WAR family who are responsible for the Americans with Disabilities Act (a good thing) and Medicare Part D (not so good) are endorsing a libertarian.

in other words,

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »

Jeb Bush is absolutely pathetic.  Sad he has gone this low.   

Sorry Jeb but not every Bush male is intitled to be President.

He knows he's not gonna be president, that's why he's making this bold, brave move. Not normally a fan of Jeb, but this would be great if it were to happen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »

I think if he does this it's more about him being angry about losing the nomination more than it is about Trump being a terrible candidate and an extremist.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »

Last grasp of the Bush establishment. Too funny.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »

LOL is all I have to say about this.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »

Great news! I hope Cruz endorses Johnson too. This will give Johnson the nevertrumpers and hurt trump. haha

Ah, hate to break it to you, but such folks were not going to vote for Trump just because Johnson was not on the ballot. Johnson may get some votes of those Pubs who loathe Trump, who might otherwise vote for Hillary. I think on balance Johnson helps Trump. A vote for Johnson is only a half vote against Trump, while a vote for Hillary is a full vote against Trump. I highly recommend going the full vote route against Trump, but that is just me. He's just too dangerous to be parsimonious and slash one's voting impact in half.

I think you are right, Torie. Johnson helps Trump.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »

Love it, still will vote for Hillary because he won't win and it'll help ensure that Trump loses.

If Trump loses, we all lose.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »

I think if he does this it's more about him being angry about losing the nomination more than it is about Trump being a terrible candidate and an extremist.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 05:24:47 PM »

Great news! I hope Cruz endorses Johnson too. This will give Johnson the nevertrumpers and hurt trump. haha

Ah, hate to break it to you, but such folks were not going to vote for Trump just because Johnson was not on the ballot. Johnson may get some votes of those Pubs who loathe Trump, who might otherwise vote for Hillary. I think on balance Johnson helps Trump. A vote for Johnson is only a half vote against Trump, while a vote for Hillary is a full vote against Trump. I highly recommend going the full vote route against Trump, but that is just me. He's just too dangerous to be parsimonious and slash one's voting impact in half.

Republicans telling other Republicans to vote against Trump doesn't help him
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

Love it, still will vote for Hillary because he won't win and it'll help ensure that Trump loses.

If Trump loses and you lose it's your own fault, not Clinton's.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

If Trump loses and you lose it's your own fault, not Clinton's.

I said all of us will lose. That includes you, whether you want to admit it or not.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

A vote for Johnson is only a half vote against Trump, while a vote for Hillary is a full vote against Trump.

Bullsh**t.  A vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.  I probably won't vote for Johnson, but I certainly won't vote for Clinton or for Trump, and you may not count my opposition to Trump or to Clinton as half of anything.  It is full-on, raging opposition, just as those who will vote for Johnson fully oppose Trump and fully oppose Clinton.

Anyway, I don't care whether any of the Bushes endorses Johnson, but I'm glad to know that they're not supporting Trump.  Fully and completely.

Kinda surprised you aren't for Johnson. A pot-smoking, drug legalization favoring libertarian Republican seems like your type. ;-)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »

A vote for Johnson is only a half vote against Trump, while a vote for Hillary is a full vote against Trump.

Bullsh**t.  A vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.  I probably won't vote for Johnson, but I certainly won't vote for Clinton or for Trump, and you may not count my opposition to Trump or to Clinton as half of anything.  It is full-on, raging opposition, just as those who will vote for Johnson fully oppose Trump and fully oppose Clinton.

Anyway, I don't care whether any of the Bushes endorses Johnson, but I'm glad to know that they're not supporting Trump.  Fully and completely.

Kinda surprised you aren't for Johnson. A pot-smoking, drug legalization favoring libertarian Republican seems like your type. ;-)

It is not a matter of who is whose type. The choice is between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Nobody else has a chance.
The Advocate
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2016, 06:21:37 PM »

You're right. If Trump loses, we all lose...

international respect and standing
progress towards equality and acceptance
our tradition of the separation of powers
our government to a sociopath and his mob of fanatics
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »

I would lose all respect for him if he did that.  Gary Johnson is no conservative, and libertarianism is a stupid ideology that deserves no legitimacy in our political discourse.  If Jeb actually does that, he can never again call himself pro-life.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »

Republicans telling other Republicans to vote against Trump doesn't help him

Agree. I don't understand how Ljube can think that a well known Pub (Bush) telling Republicans in the electorate to not vote trump, but instead vote Johnson, can help trump.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »

I would lose all respect for him if he did that.  Gary Johnson is no conservative, and libertarianism is a stupid ideology that deserves no legitimacy in our political discourse.  If Jeb actually does that, he can never again call himself pro-life.

I can say the same of social conservatism.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »

Bullsh**t.  A vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.  I probably won't vote for Johnson, but I certainly won't vote for Clinton or for Trump, and you may not count my opposition to Trump or to Clinton as half of anything.  It is full-on, raging opposition, just as those who will vote for Johnson fully oppose Trump and fully oppose Clinton.

Anyway, I don't care whether any of the Bushes endorses Johnson, but I'm glad to know that they're not supporting Trump.  Fully and completely.

He's talking mathematically, and he's right, in terms of net margin
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 07:11:59 PM by drewmike87 »

Why does everybody assume Johnson will win Utah?  I'm guessing Mormons wouldn't like Johnson that much more than Trump.

True.  Mormons typically won't go for someone who's pro-LGBT, pro-choice, pro-weed, and wants to lower the drinking age to 18.

If Gary Johnson got Romney's endorsement he would win Utah

Not necessarily.  Endorsements haven't done much good for candidates during the course of this cycle.  Rubio didn't do s*** after many pols endorsed him.  Same with Cruz.  Bernie did remarkably well despite lack of endorsements.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »

Bullsh**t.  A vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.  I probably won't vote for Johnson, but I certainly won't vote for Clinton or for Trump, and you may not count my opposition to Trump or to Clinton as half of anything.  It is full-on, raging opposition, just as those who will vote for Johnson fully oppose Trump and fully oppose Clinton.

Anyway, I don't care whether any of the Bushes endorses Johnson, but I'm glad to know that they're not supporting Trump.  Fully and completely.

Easy big fella.  I think he was just laying out the facts objectively.  You are completely free to vote for anyone you wish.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

Easy big fella.  I think he was just laying out the facts objectively.  You are completely free to vote for anyone you wish.

A vote for Johnson is only a vote for Trump/half vote against if that person would've otherwise voted Clinton. Otherwise it's still taking votes away from Trump.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 07:57:37 PM »

A vote for Johnson is only a vote for Trump/half vote against if that person would've otherwise voted Clinton. Otherwise it's still taking votes away from Trump.

His point is that voting for Clinton instead of Trump is a net -2 to the raw vote margin for Trump over Clinton; voting third-party instead is a net -1 to Trump's raw vote margin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies