Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich  (Read 2056 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
« edited: July 22, 2016, 05:59:00 PM by heatcharger »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-07-22/trump-would-fund-super-pacs-aimed-at-taking-down-cruz-kasich-iqybu9m1

Trump, who's obsessed with crushing and silencing people who disagree with him, plans to invest millions into Super-PACs if Ted Cruz or John Kasich decide to run for office again.

He also says he "does not care" about doing the same to Jeb Bush because he's a mess.

I think this is part of Trump's plan to evolve into a reanimated version of Richard Nixon.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »

He can't possibly win in November without the votes of the Cruz fanboys, Kasich fanboys, etc. He's losing a lot of votes by being vindictive like this and not gaining any.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic people.
skoods
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic people.

I think President Obama was being sarcastic too when he said "you didn't build that." Same with Kerry and the "get stuck in Iraq" quote from 2006...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »

Your link doesn't work.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »

He can't possibly win in November without the votes of the Cruz fanboys, Kasich fanboys, etc. He's losing a lot of votes by being vindictive like this and not gaining any.

Yeah, this is a moron move by Trump during a general election campaign where all the Democrats and a quarter of the Republicans hate him
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »

This is modus operandi for Trump. He praises whoever supports him and tries to destroy anyone who disagrees with him. The point is a warning against others from going against him.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »

Now that Trump successfully captured the nomination, it's time for the second step in his plan. Pivot to the general Turn off as many voters as possible by looking like a sore winner. It's almost like he's a Dem plant. Wink
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

Once again .... trump's narcissistic and huge ego, causes uncontrollable internal rage, which is then followed by idiotic statements.
I have said it before trump is mentally sick in the head .... no doubt about it.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »

Behavior like this pushed me to being never trump. I hope Kasich and Cruz never back down and become his lap dogs. As much as I despise Hillary, I hope the American electorate teaches this guy a lesson that he's not invincible.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »

Behavior like this pushed me to being never trump. I hope Kasich and Cruz never back down and become his lap dogs. As much as I despise Hillary, I hope the American electorate teaches this guy a lesson that he's not invincible.
Look, I agree that Trump should have kept his Cruz comments to a minimum here, however, with that said, it's NOT Trump that signed a pledge to support the GOP nominee that is now reneging. It's sore losers like Kaisch and Cruz.

Shame on them. And shame on Ted Cruz for giving that terrible convention speech. He pissed away his career with that one.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »

Look, I agree that Trump should have kept his Cruz comments to a minimum here, however, with that said, it's NOT Trump that signed a pledge to support the GOP nominee that is now reneging. It's sore losers like Kaisch and Cruz.
Shame on them. And shame on Ted Cruz for giving that terrible convention speech. He pissed away his career with that one.

Seriously,
Cruz said that one of the main reasons he can not support or endorse trump, is because of trump's personal attacks on his family. THIS IS THE REASON.
That alone allows any individual to break some stupid pledge ; the attacks "trumps" the pledge.
Candidates know that family is off-limits, and should not be directly attacked in a campaign. But trump, being the disgusting piece of filth that he is, has no respect for others.
What if Cruz were to attack trump's mom or daughter, and publically say that one of them was a whore or prostitute, or some other offensive attack ?
Do you think trump would be happy with that ? Do you think trump would support or endorse Cruz, with or without "a pledge" ? Would you ?
trump has only himself to blame, for ALL the resentment he is receiving from all fronts.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »

So Cruz should endorse a candidate who disparaged his wife's looks and accused his father of connections to the JFK assassination?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-07-22/trump-would-fund-super-pacs-aimed-at-taking-down-cruz-kasich-iqybu9m1

Trump, who's obsessed with crushing and silencing people who disagree with him, plans to invest millions into Super-PACs if Ted Cruz or John Kasich decide to run for office again.

He also says he "does not care" about doing the same to Jeb Bush because he's a mess.

I think this is part of Trump's plan to evolve into a reanimated version of Richard Nixon.

Nope. It's just an emergent property of the fact that Trump has the mentality of a spoiled fourteen-year old bully.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »

What was wrong with it? He endorsed Trump pretty strongly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 11:36:46 PM »

Here's my idea for how Cruz can recover from this: He should accuse Trump of lying us into war with Iraq and call for him to be impeached.  That's apparently the formula for winning the Republican nomination for president these days.
Trapsy

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 12:49:46 AM »

Do you really think Trump would abide by the pledge if the roles were reversed?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 03:36:13 AM »

Once again .... trump's narcissistic and huge ego, causes uncontrollable internal rage, which is then followed by idiotic statements.
I have said it before trump is mentally sick in the head .... no doubt about it.

And yet according to the polls, 40-45% of the electorate thinks he should be president.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 04:03:26 AM »

I think the more appropriate question is why didn't the Republican delegates who were in attendance that night think that "vote your conscience" meant you should vote for Trump?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »

I think the more appropriate question is why didn't the Republican delegates who were in attendance that night think that "vote your conscience" meant you should vote for Trump?

Well because "vote your conscience" had been the rallying cry of the Nevertrumpers during the rules fight, so it was a bit of a buzzword with a clear connotation.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »

Well, I plan on doing the same to defeat sitting and prospective lawmakers who supported Trump in the primary.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »

Who else silenced his political rivals?

Who was that?

Could it be.........

HITLER!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »

And yet according to the polls, 40-45% of the electorate thinks he should be president.

45% of the country will vote for any Republican under any circumstances.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »

Real mature, Don.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »

Seriously,
Cruz said that one of the main reasons he can not support or endorse trump, is because of trump's personal attacks on his family. THIS IS THE REASON.
That alone allows any individual to break some stupid pledge ; the attacks "trumps" the pledge.
Candidates know that family is off-limits, and should not be directly attacked in a campaign. But trump, being the disgusting piece of filth that he is, has no respect for others.
What if Cruz were to attack trump's mom or daughter, and publically say that one of them was a whore or prostitute, or some other offensive attack ?
Do you think trump would be happy with that ? Do you think trump would support or endorse Cruz, with or without "a pledge" ? Would you ?
trump has only himself to blame, for ALL the resentment he is receiving from all fronts.

I highlighted and underlined the part which is central to what I'm writing here.

Trump's attack on Cruz's wife was beyond the pale, even if it was retweeting someone else's tweet.  If he were going to lay out a specific attack on Heidi Cruz for influence peddling, arranging for an improper (and initially undisclosed) loan for them from her employer (Goldman-Sachs), or something of that ilk, he should have come out with it, but he didn't.  Therefore, he should have left her out of everything.  The "Lyin' Ted" stuff is another matter.  Cruz was caught in a deception regarding Ben Carson's status in Iowa, and he lied about it, and his "My bad!" came after the damage could not be undone. 

Still, Cruz would have been given a pass for not endorsing Trump if he had done it simply by keeping his mouth shut and sitting out the campaign.  Folks would have understood this, and Ted Cruz, who is considered even in CONSERVATIVE circles as slimy and smarmy, would have generated sympathy under those circumstances.  It's a big deal for a Senator not to support his party's Presidential ticket, but Cruz would have been given a pass under the circumstances, and would have been a hero if he had even made a lame statement to the effect of "I'm voting Repubican." allowing folks to view Cruz as a party loyalist.

But that's not what Cruz did.  Cruz's attempt to sabotage Trump on TV at the convention went beyond an attack on Trump; it was a sub silentio call for Republican voters to refuse to withhold their votes not just for Trump, but for other downballot Republicans that they did not believe were "Constitutional conservatives".  It was an attack on other Republican officials by a defeated Republican Presidential candidate, and if you play the "vote your conscience" part back, you'll plainly see that this did not apply only to Trump.

How should the many local and state GOP party chairs in the crowd view the call to bolt the party from a defeated Presidential nominee, a nominee some of those chairs supported?  How should they feel about Ted Cruz undermining fence-mending some of them had to do, or still have to do, with his call for folks to "vote their conscience"?  How many local Republicans will use Ted Cruz's "vote your conscience" mantra to push their own intra-party feuds as a matter of "conscience"?  A party chairman was screaming at Cruz as he attempted to leave the arena, and why not?  Cruz made his job, and the job of everyone trying to elect Republicans, that much harder.  There is an expectation that a guy like Cruz know better, but Cruz was more about his vendetta than about the well-being of his own party.

I'm a nominal Republican, but I've been involved in partisan politics 30 years ago, and I understand the idea that politics is a team sport.  There's a penalty for folks who don't get that.  Cruz really did urinate away his political career, because he bit the hand that fed him.  He's too much of a narcissist to figure this out.  He'll get it when David Dewhurst beats him in the 2018 GOP Senate Primary in Texas.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies