Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump Would Fund Super PACs to Defeat Cruz, Kasich  (Read 2055 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »

I'm a nominal Republican, but I've been involved in partisan politics 30 years ago, and I understand the idea that politics is a team sport.  There's a penalty for folks who don't get that.  Cruz really did urinate away his political career, because he bit the hand that fed him.  He's too much of a narcissist to figure this out.  He'll get it when David Dewhurst beats him in the 2018 GOP Senate Primary in Texas.

I actually agree with the latter part of that statement. Cruz was a key figure in the rise of Trump to begin with, praising him and his ideas.

However I think you might need to understand the bet Cruz is making. He's a pretty smart guy, and must have a sense Trump is going to lose worse than Romney did. Then Republicans will say "We should've listened to Ted! We nominated this New York liberal loudmouth... of course we lost!" Then he'll run in 2020 as the white knight candidate.
Fargobison

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »

Donald not backing down on the Super PAC to defeat Kasich and Cruz...in fact he might be expanding it...

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/757026809309388800
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »

I'm a nominal Republican, but I've been involved in partisan politics 30 years ago, and I understand the idea that politics is a team sport.  There's a penalty for folks who don't get that.  Cruz really did urinate away his political career, because he bit the hand that fed him.  He's too much of a narcissist to figure this out.  He'll get it when David Dewhurst beats him in the 2018 GOP Senate Primary in Texas.

I actually agree with the latter part of that statement. Cruz was a key figure in the rise of Trump to begin with, praising him and his ideas.

However I think you might need to understand the bet Cruz is making. He's a pretty smart guy, and must have a sense Trump is going to lose worse than Romney did. Then Republicans will say "We should've listened to Ted! We nominated this New York liberal loudmouth... of course we lost!" Then he'll run in 2020 as the white knight candidate.

That sounds logical, but it's never worked out in practice.  The 1964 #NeverGoldwater Republicans saw their party getting creamed, but they were finished as Presidential contenders, whereas Richard Nixon, who campaigned for Goldwater in 1964, was a pole-to-pole frontrunner for the GOP in 1968.  The 1972 Democrats for Nixon that weren't segregationist Southerners (who were already non-starters in Democratic Presidential politics) were toast afterward, whereas Jimmy Carter, a moderate Democrat who didn't campaign for McGovern but said that he would vote for him, became President in 1976 (while Nelson Rockefeller, a #NeverGoldwater Republican, was squeezed out of the VP nomination).  

Come 2020, Cruz's apostasy will be used against him.  Most Republicans are holding their nose and voting for Trump, and they aren't going to reward Cruz for his actions.  Ben Sasse may not experience the same fate, but Sasse isn't hated within the GOP as Cruz is.  Cruz gave his enemies the hammer they needed to primary him to death in 2018.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »

That sounds logical, but it's never worked out in practice.  The 1964 #NeverGoldwater Republicans saw their party getting creamed, but they were finished as Presidential contenders, whereas Richard Nixon, who campaigned for Goldwater in 1964, was a pole-to-pole frontrunner for the GOP in 1968.  The 1972 Democrats for Nixon that weren't segregationist Southerners (who were already non-starters in Democratic Presidential politics) were toast afterward, whereas Jimmy Carter, a moderate Democrat who didn't campaign for McGovern but said that he would vote for him, became President in 1976 (while Nelson Rockefeller, a #NeverGoldwater Republican, was squeezed out of the VP nomination).  

Come 2020, Cruz's apostasy will be used against him.  Most Republicans are holding their nose and voting for Trump, and they aren't going to reward Cruz for his actions.  Ben Sasse may not experience the same fate, but Sasse isn't hated within the GOP as Cruz is.  Cruz gave his enemies the hammer they needed to primary him to death in 2018.

I also believe that Cruz did this really badly. He could have endorsed Trump, started to nomination fight to energize his supporters or simply skipped the Convention. By giving that speech and misleading Trump's people he just came across as a sleazeball.

If (when) Trump loses big and pulls other Republicans down, nobody is going to say that Cruz was right; he has shown himself not only to be not a team player but a clear problem inside the GOP. He is done.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »

I understand the idea that politics is a team sport.  There's a penalty for folks who don't get that.

Oh really?:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katherinemiller/trump-defends-comment-that-george-w-bush-should-be-impeached
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »

Isn't Kasich term limited lol?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »

Donald not backing down on the Super PAC to defeat Kasich and Cruz...in fact he might be expanding it...

Who is the other person?
Fargobison

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »

Who is the other person?

Flake or Sasse is my guess.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »

He may run for the Senate 2018, or for President later. As much as I despise Sherrod Brown, I can easily see Trump favoring him based on the trade issues. I think Kasich would be favored to win that race, even if Trump is president, since Kasich does really well with independent and moderate voters, while Brown is considerably to the left of the state.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »

Empty threats with a hope to scare them - pathetic.

As usual Trump is full of it. This election cycle he clearly showed he didn't want to spend his own money. Once he loses, he will be even more reluctant to do so. So how is he going to fund this SuperPAC?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

Now that Trump successfully captured the nomination, it's time for the second step in his plan. Pivot to the general Turn off as many voters as possible by looking like a sore winner. It's almost like he's a Dem plant. Wink

My brother likely believes he's an illuminati plant to ensure their faithful servant Hillary is rewarded for her years of service. Needless to say, I stopped talking politics with him long ago.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies