Jon Stewart Has a Message for Trump Supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:59:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jon Stewart Has a Message for Trump Supporters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Jon Stewart Has a Message for Trump Supporters  (Read 3350 times)
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

Wealthy white man to working-class Americans: "America doesn't belong to you".

No, it doesn't. Now go away.

We'll have to wait for November 8th to see how well the "we run the show around here, prole scum" message goes over with voters.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »

Man, do I love liberal smugness.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »

We'll have to wait for November 8th to see how well the "we run the show around here, prole scum" message goes over with voters.

This is minorities vs. whites, not rich vs. poor. Nice try though.
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »

Democrats trying to foment race war to protect oligarch class. SAD!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »

oligarch trying to foment race war to defeat democrats. sad!

ftfy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »

So adorable watching far-rightists attempt to convince us that they actually care about the working poor.

Remind me of your candidate's economic policies?

- Deregulate business.  That will make it easier to get a job since more folks will be dying at work!
- Cut taxes.  That will make it easier to get a job since rich people like to spread their wealth voluntarily!
- Abolish the EPA.  That will make it easier to get a job because everyone who is unemployed right now wants to relocate to Alaska to drill polar bears for bile.
- Establish LAW and ORDER.  That will make it easier to get a job as a prison security guard because we're going to need to build a lot more camps to get rid of all the troublemakers.

Oh, thank you, thank you so much for looking out for my future.  I really feel like my minimum wage job is finally appreciated by the rich asshole that runs the country now. Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »

Here's the quote in full:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do any of you disagree with that?

It's a big fat strawman, a favorite of the post-Bush daily show.  They need easy targets to mock or argue against as the audience cheers them on.

Most Trump supporters I've seen want to take this country off what they see as a dangerous path fueled by political correctness.  Like as Trump argued last night, letting criminals out of jail because they're illegal immigrants.  That's very different from "take this country back from the browns and give it to the whites"

"Letting criminals out of jail because they're illegal immigrants"?!?

Do explain.
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »

So adorable watching far-rightists attempt to convince us that they actually care about the working poor.

- Deregulate business.  That will make it easier to get a job since more folks will be dying at work!
- Cut taxes.  That will make it easier to get a job since rich people like to spread their wealth voluntarily!
- Abolish the EPA.  That will make it easier to get a job because everyone who is unemployed right now wants to relocate to Alaska to drill polar bears for bile.
- Establish LAW and ORDER.  That will make it easier to get a job as a prison security guard because we're going to need to build a lot more camps to get rid of all the troublemakers.

Oh, thank you, thank you so much for looking out for my future.  I really feel like my minimum wage job is finally appreciated by the rich asshole that runs the country now. Roll Eyes

You're right, the pro-worker agenda of HRC is impeccable in comparison:

- Flood the market with cheap labour by opening America's borders. Millions of Americans who rely on manual labour to put food on the table may find their jobs imperilled, but think of the savings that wealthy suburbanites will reap by being able to pay subhuman wages to their new gardeners, landscapers, and maids.

- Sign expansive international trade agreements that make it impossible for American businesses to compete in the domestic market. The countless Americans who will find themselves on the welfare rolls will be able to buy plenty of cheap Mexican and Chinese goods with their new EBT cards.

- Invade more middle eastern countries. Iran has been asking for it for years. Laid-off workers will be able to enlist and earn a decent living by killing brown people!

- Put the coal industry out of business and replace it with nothing. Those 55 year old coal miners will definitely go back to school to become computer programmers.

At last I truly see.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »

Stewart's message was directed towards the multimillionaire elites at Fox News and the RNC, not the "working class". Roll Eyes

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 07:52:53 PM »

- Flood the market with cheap labour by opening America's borders. Millions of Americans who rely on manual labour to put food on the table may find their jobs imperilled, but think of the savings that wealthy suburbanites will reap by being able to pay subhuman wages to their new gardeners, landscapers, and maids.

- Sign expansive international trade agreements that make it impossible for American businesses to compete in the domestic market. The countless Americans who will find themselves on the welfare rolls will be able to buy plenty of cheap Mexican and Chinese goods with their new EBT cards.

- Invade more middle eastern countries. Iran has been asking for it for years. Laid-off workers will be able to enlist and earn a decent living by killing brown people!

- Put the coal industry out of business and replace it with nothing. Those 55 year old coal miners will definitely go back to school to become computer programmers.

At last I truly see.

Champ, I don't know where you get off talking about invasions when Trump is going to "take out" ISIS by invading Saudi Arabia to steal their oil, or whatever his incoherent empire-building plan is supposed to entail, but it's laughable.  But keep pretending to be the champion of peace while you hide behind a racist demagogue...

The coal industry is dying regardless of whether you want to acknowledge it or not.  The question is whether we adapt to changing economic circumstances (and take cues from scientific evidence) by retraining workers and moving towards renewable energies or bury our heads in the sand and pretend that a billionaire jack-off actually gives even the slightest s*it about the working poor in West Virginia.

And thanks for proving, as always, that poor people have to compete against those scoundrel immigrants in order to have a fighting chance in Trump's dystopian economic hellscape.  No, we couldn't possibly look after everybody while getting the rich to pay their fair share.  Because your member of the billionaire class presidential candidate wants to give himself a tax cut, it can only be one.

Kudos for trying, but come back when you have some basic understanding of what it's actually like to be poor.  Real poor people aren't foaming at the mouth because illegal immigrants caused them to rack up a credit card debt.  They're just trying to survive in a rigged economy which your idiot candidate is only going to exacerbate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »

At last I truly see.

Except nobody's proposing open borders.

Lol @ thinking Hillary would be more likely to start a nonsensical war than Trump. He'd probably declare war on Finland if their president insulted him.

The coal industry is going out of business no matter who is in charge. It's inevitable, and it's sad that Trump is misleading them into believing he can miraculously resurrect it through the power of hot air and empty rhetoric.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »

It's a big fat strawman, a favorite of the post-Bush daily show.  They need easy targets to mock or argue against as the audience cheers them on.

Most Trump supporters I've seen want to take this country off what they see as a dangerous path fueled by political correctness.  Like as Trump argued last night, letting criminals out of jail because they're illegal immigrants.  That's very different from "take this country back from the browns and give it to the whites"

Do explain.

Over the years, there have been illegal aliens who have been arrested on criminal charges.  Law Enforcement has not routinely checked out issues of immigration status on arrestees, and not every illegal immigrant has an active ICE Warrant to be deported.  Not every illegal immigrant with an ICE Warrant is taken into custody; some are not taken into custody because they have children who are not deportable, so their cases languish.  Some of these folks do, in fact, bond out of jail, then go on to commit more serious offenses. 

Being an "illegal alien" is not a crime, in and of itself.  An illegal alien will not automatically be detained if arrested unless there is some kind of ICE Detainer or Warrant, or if there is a Warrant for the alien having re-entered the US after being deported.  (It IS a felony for a deported alien to re-enter the US after deportation.)

In this context, think of the outrageousness of "Sanctuary Cities".  The officials of these cities have taken oaths to uphold laws, but they are now acting to not enforce laws, including valid, lawful detainers and warrants for the arrest of folks with no lawful authorization to be in the United States.  If we are going to give THESE people a free pass for ignoring laws, then we need to apologize to Ollie North and Scooter Libby.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »

Over the years, there have been illegal aliens who have been arrested on criminal charges.  Law Enforcement has not routinely checked out issues of immigration status on arrestees, and not every illegal immigrant has an active ICE Warrant to be deported.  Not every illegal immigrant with an ICE Warrant is taken into custody; some are not taken into custody because they have children who are not deportable, so their cases languish.  Some of these folks do, in fact, bond out of jail, then go on to commit more serious offenses. 

Being an "illegal alien" is not a crime, in and of itself.  An illegal alien will not automatically be detained if arrested unless there is some kind of ICE Detainer or Warrant, or if there is a Warrant for the alien having re-entered the US after being deported.  (It IS a felony for a deported alien to re-enter the US after deportation.)

In this context, think of the outrageousness of "Sanctuary Cities".  The officials of these cities have taken oaths to uphold laws, but they are now acting to not enforce laws, including valid, lawful detainers and warrants for the arrest of folks with no lawful authorization to be in the United States.  If we are going to give THESE people a free pass for ignoring laws, then we need to apologize to Ollie North and Scooter Libby.

There have been far too many serious crimes associated with people here in the United States illegally. The whole notion of "Sanctuary Cities" is incredibly destructive/offensive, and needs to be stopped. I was very disappointed in the Senate's recent vote against Kate's law, so much so that I wrote to my two Senators a few weeks back asking for an explanation as to the reasoning behind their casting a vote against it; so far, no word back.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

There have been far too many serious crimes associated with people here in the United States illegally. The whole notion of "Sanctuary Cities" is incredibly destructive/offensive, and needs to be stopped. I was very disappointed in the Senate's recent vote against Kate's law, so much so that I wrote to my two Senators a few weeks back asking for an explanation as to the reasoning behind their casting a vote against it; so far, no word back.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mythical-connection-between-immigrants-and-crime-1436916798
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mythical-connection-between-immigrants-and-crime-1436916798

Wait, are you actually trying to claim that the people on this list are not real? Because if the crimes are real, the victims are real, and those charged with the crimes are real, I'm really not sure why anyone would believe the connections to be "mythical"...
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »

Do explain.

You understand that none of what you said there describes "Letting criminals out of jail because they're illegal immigrants," right?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »

Wait, are you actually trying to claim that the people on this list are not real? Because if the crimes are real, the victims are real, and those charged with the crimes are real, I'm really not sure why anyone would believe the connections to be "mythical"...

> drumpfbacke isn't capable of reading past the title
i'm absolutely shocked. shocked, i tell you!
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »

> drumpfbacke isn't capable of reading past the title
i'm absolutely shocked. shocked, i tell you!

Wrong. Rather, drumpfbacke is incapable of understanding what an article with the premise "newcomers to the U.S. are less likely than the native population to commit violent crimes or be incarcerated" has to do with what we're talking about here. To my way of thinking, a single American citizen murdered by a single individual that is in the country illegally is enough to justify asking questions about why our immigration system allows things like this to happen, and soliciting ideas for ways in which we can prevent it from happening in the future. The government is responsible for keeping its citizens safe; that's a rather baseline requirement. So I provide you a list of instances of people being killed by those here illegally, and you reply with "no worries, the people that are here illegally and are killing Americans, they're not as bad as Americans". Uh, a couple of minor points: (1) they KILLED an AMERICAN CITIZEN, and (2) they are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. The truly sad thing is that you believe your "no worries..." to be a perfectly reasonable answer. Unbelievable...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 07:20:35 PM »

SillyAmerican, love your username.  Very apt.  Listen, pal, your selective outrage is getting really tiresome.  I don't suppose you devote nearly as much energy to caring about the thousands of Americans murdered by their fellow citizens each year because that would entail coming up with solutions to the ubiquity of firearms or an actual way of addressing the poverty and despair that ravages so many communities.  Instead, it's much easier to take off your thinking cap and complain about the comparatively isolated selection of cases where - gasp - an undocumented person committed the crime, exposing the enormous failure of our immigration system for all to see.  In fact, it's almost like we aren't even talking about crime anymore.  No, now we're talking about your obsession with keeping America pure.  And see how tiresome that is?  Not everybody shares your bigoted predilections.  It may be worth keeping that in mind the next time you bother stringing those sentences together again in the vain effort to convince anybody that you are anything other than an ignorant concern troll.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

SillyAmerican, love your username.  Very apt.  Listen, pal, your selective outrage is getting really tiresome.  I don't suppose you devote nearly as much energy to caring about the thousands of Americans murdered by their fellow citizens each year because that would entail coming up with solutions to the ubiquity of firearms or an actual way of addressing the poverty and despair that ravages so many communities.  Instead, it's much easier to take off your thinking cap and complain about the comparatively isolated selection of cases where - gasp - an undocumented person committed the crime, exposing the enormous failure of our immigration system for all to see.  In fact, it's almost like we aren't even talking about crime anymore.  No, now we're talking about your obsession with keeping America pure.  And see how tiresome that is?  Not everybody shares your bigoted predilections.  It may be worth keeping that in mind the next time you bother stringing those sentences together again in the vain effort to convince anybody that you are anything other than an ignorant concern troll.

So just to be sure I understand, you're not interested in discussing specific problems with ignorant concern trolls? You'd rather accuse me of having bigoted predilections? Well, here's a question for you: what is my racial background? I mean, you've got all the answers, so go ahead and tell me who it is you think I am, and how it is that I can't make a comment about crime without - gasp - generating an irrational response about anything but crime? So go ahead, explain what you mean by my "obsession with keeping America pure". What ethnicity am I? And why does my bothering to string sentences together to form a cogent argument offend you so badly? You probably should ignore anyone who doesn't agree with your views, that way, pal, you needn't have to worry about being called on to do that somewhat difficult thing called thinking.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2016, 09:42:18 PM »

So just to be sure I understand, you're not interested in discussing specific problems with ignorant concern trolls? You'd rather accuse me of having bigoted predilections? Well, here's a question for you: what is my racial background? I mean, you've got all the answers, so go ahead and tell me who it is you think I am, and how it is that I can't make a comment about crime without - gasp - generating an irrational response about anything but crime? So go ahead, explain what you mean by my "obsession with keeping America pure". What ethnicity am I? And why does my bothering to string sentences together to form a cogent argument offend you so badly? You probably should ignore anyone who doesn't agree with your views, that way, pal, you needn't have to worry about being called on to do that somewhat difficult thing called thinking.

I couldn't care less about your background, friend-o, as your views have done the hard work of telling your story for you.

I'm sure you have your own immigrant history - no doubt hard working LAW ABIDING - to fall back on in those times where you feel the need to tout your superiority to others.

Your legalistic, simplistic attitude can only get you so far.  Yes, we understand that you are incapable of thinking beyond "immigrants who aren't even supposed to be here."  You've made that abundantly clear.  And you don't get a free pass because you think you're special, or whatever it is that you're trying to imply.  That doesn't change anything I said and I stand by it 100%.  You're a bigoted simpleton and you've shown that time and time again.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »

I mean, duh. The country "belongs" to the coalition in power and to the political class that made them a coalition. The only way to change that is through--duh--a shift in party support.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 11:21:39 PM »

I couldn't care less about your background, friend-o, as your views have done the hard work of telling your story for you.

I'm sure you have your own immigrant history - no doubt hard working LAW ABIDING - to fall back on in those times where you feel the need to tout your superiority to others.

Your legalistic, simplistic attitude can only get you so far.  Yes, we understand that you are incapable of thinking beyond "immigrants who aren't even supposed to be here."  You've made that abundantly clear.  And you don't get a free pass because you think you're special, or whatever it is that you're trying to imply.  That doesn't change anything I said and I stand by it 100%.  You're a bigoted simpleton and you've shown that time and time again.

Yup, that's the uncomfortable bottom line: illegal immigrants are people who aren't even supposed to be here. The stating of that simple truth makes me a bigoted simpleton in your eyes? So be it. No, I don't think I'm particularly special, but I do try to avoid judging people that I know nothing about. You might try that sometime, it usually works pretty well for me. And I'm not implying anything, I'm stating it outright: you have no idea what you're talking about. And I stand by that 100%.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 06:28:26 AM »

We the people. (And for the record, those aren't my words, I stole them from somewhere...).
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 08:27:01 AM »

Yup, that's the uncomfortable bottom line: illegal immigrants are people who aren't even supposed to be here. The stating of that simple truth makes me a bigoted simpleton in your eyes? So be it. No, I don't think I'm particularly special, but I do try to avoid judging people that I know nothing about. You might try that sometime, it usually works pretty well for me. And I'm not implying anything, I'm stating it outright: you have no idea what you're talking about. And I stand by that 100%.

I have no idea what your ethnicity is, and I couldn't care.  But it does bring up an interesting point: Latino (especially Mexican) immigrants who "did it the right way," and "waited their turn to immigrate legally."  They are among the most rabidly anti-illegal people I know.  They also tend to be from the upper crust of Mexico, which is extremely socially stratified.  Their seething disdain for the plebes of their home country is palpable.  There is often, but not always, a skin-color component as well.

This is not to say anything about you, but the "but I'm one of them, so my attitudes are extra-legit" defense is no excuse for classist attitudes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies