Clinton picks Kaine for veep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:15:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9411 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

Just got the Clinton text lol.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »

well this settles it, PA is now a must win for Trump, unless we believe that NV is really a tipping point and he can win with the inside straight of FL,OH,NV,IA,NH
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »

He is fluent with the Spanish language also.
His Spanish speaking ability is actually very good.
This will help when he campaigns in crucial states like Florida, Colorado, Nevada and possibly Arizona.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »

If that's true, please provide a link, because that's what's keeping me from embracing Kaine for anything right now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/21/hours-before-hillary-clintons-vp-decision-likely-pick-tim-kaine-praises-the-tpp/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »

True. If you ask the average voter on the street what the TPP means, they'll think it's a sports team or something. Only well versed people know what TPP means. Trans Pacific Partnership.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

One progressive point on Kaine that I think many people are passing over is that he has called for Congressional approval of the military campaign vs. ISIS. Plus reining in Presidential war powers and limiting the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force. Hopefully that sticks.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »

If that's true, please provide a link, because that's what's keeping me from embracing Kaine for anything right now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/21/hours-before-hillary-clintons-vp-decision-likely-pick-tim-kaine-praises-the-tpp/

Thank you.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »

It really doesn't matter who the VP is as far as political beliefs go - no matter who it is, he or she must get behind in the president. The very idea that someone could be planning to vote Hillary until this announcement is absurd.

If Hillary trusts Kaine to be one of her closest advisers, that's good enough for me.....

Exactly.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »

MSNBC just reported that Kaine has made it clear that he will now oppose TPP as part of the Clinton ticket.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

Conservative Catholics aren't going to vote for Hillary, period.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 07:49:37 PM »

This isn't about conservative Catholics. It's about blue collar and middle class Catholics in the Midwest that are alienated by Trump and have voted Democratic before.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »

Blue collar voters hate the TPP. It could hurt her in states with union workers like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Overall, a mediocre but expected choice. I'm pretty sure the Kaine/Pence debate will make for a damn fine ASMR video.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »

One progressive point on Kaine that I think many people are passing over is that he has called for Congressional approval of the military campaign vs. ISIS. Plus reining in Presidential war powers and limiting the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force. Hopefully that sticks.

That could be a good balance to Hillary's hawkish tendencies.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »

This isn't about conservative Catholics. It's about blue collar and middle class Catholics in the Midwest that are alienated by Trump and have voted Democratic before.

ag literally mentioned conservative Catholics.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »

Some minorities on Twitter are vexed because he's a "bland white male". They want a African American or a Latino. I don't know if Americans care or not. We had President Obama in 2008 and 2012.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 07:52:22 PM »

I think the most sensible choice.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

Most of them aren't. But they might not be very enthusiastic about the other ticket either. Especially given that Pence is an outright traitor. And if I were interviewing a conservative Catholic politician, I would sure make him do some squirming Smiley
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

The campaign's internal polling for Virginia must have been dire.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »

Things get a bit exciting if you look at the Kaine vs. Pence race from this standpoint, don't they?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2016, 07:57:14 PM »

The campaign's internal polling for Virginia must have been dire.

Trump's internal polling for Indiana must have been dire. Obama's internal polling for Delaware must have been dire. Bush's internal polling for Wyoming must have been dire.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

Tough on a good altar boy, ain't it?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »

Well, that was almost as inevitable as Hillary's nomination.

I've been saying Clinton/Kaine since November 2014, lol. Before that I thought Clinton/Warner. Tongue

IceSpear flashback:

Why pick Kaine when you have Warner who is better in every way?

Well, in a Trump "damn all modesty" election cycle, I have to quote myself from April (with Frodo in a supporting role Smiley) :

Interesting question, especially because this election cycle has been so different.

On the Democratic side, I imagine that Clinton already has a vetting process going on quietly (and unless she is facing Kasich, my bet is her choice is someone like Sen. Kaine).

If Hillary is to have any hope of reuniting the Democratic Party and reconciling Sanders' supporters to her nomination, she will more likely pick a progressive (not a moderate) as her running-mate.  

By this point, that should be a given.  

That really depends on circumstances. Note that I said "unless she is facing Kasich (i.e. a more moderate opponent)". If she is running against Trump or Cruz, she will NOT need a "progressive" VP pick to energize the base. Could you really see any Bernie supporters vote GOP or even abstain in a Clinton-Cruz or Clinton-Trump matchup for example? And with someone moderate as VP, she could just scoop up the votes in the middle as well.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »

Some minorities on Twitter are vexed because he's a "bland white male". They want a African American or a Latino. I don't know if Americans care or not. We had President Obama in 2008 and 2012.

Well, we know you to be the voice of minorities
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies