Clinton picks Kaine for veep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:08:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9452 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

Conservative Catholics aren't going to vote for Hillary, period.

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

Kaine and Pence are both heretics but only one supports genocide.

They both oppose abortion.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Tim_Kaine_Abortion.htm

Supporting Roe v. Wade is not opposing abortion. Being "personally opposed" means jacksh**t if you support it remaining legal. No Catholic politician in good standing with the Church can take such a position.

I mean, it means he's uncomfortable with the creepy 'abortion a positive good'-type rhetoric that's suddenly started replacing 'safe, legal, and rare' among American liberals, which is more than one probably could have expected from anyone else Clinton could have chosen.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

Supporting Roe v. Wade is not opposing abortion. Being "personally opposed" means jacksh**t if you support it remaining legal. No Catholic politician in good standing with the Church can take such a position.
Tell that to Joe Biden and countless other politicians.

Pope Francis himself has rejected this view.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2016, 12:13:05 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:32:07 AM by realisticidealist »

I mean, it means he's uncomfortable with the creepy 'abortion a positive good'-type rhetoric that's suddenly started replacing 'safe, legal, and rare' among American liberals, which is more than one probably could have expected from anyone else Clinton could have chosen.

In some ways, it's better; in some ways, it's worse. How would Dems feel about a GOP candidate who said they were personally opposed to discriminating against gays, but we shouldn't force others to not discriminate? Or someone who was personally opposed to the death penalty, but thought they shouldn't force that on others? Or someone who said they were personally opposed to cops shooting innocent black people, but it's not my right to make that choice for them! It would be little comfort at best, and downright infuriating at worst as they can see the problem but choose not to do a thing about it despite recognizing the harm to others.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2016, 12:27:45 AM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick? 

Tell that to Joe Biden and countless other politicians.

Pope Francis himself has rejected this view.

Yeah, I will. Biden is also a terrible Catholic who sacrificed his integrity and possibly his soul so he could have his career. He likely commits sacrilege every time he takes communion. Kaine is the same.

I don't know what you're talking about with regard to the Pope. The debate about pro-abortion pols and communion is a complicated one, but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:33:54 AM by Jet fuel can't melt dank memes »

I think it's more worthwhile focusing our energies on people like [Inks]ing Cuomo, who takes the opposite of the Catholic Church's position on almost literally every issue of substance. IIRC he gave up entirely on a ten-point women's rights program after a point expanding late-term abortion was rejected, even though the legislature was perfectly happy to pass the other nine points. This was after he cut funding for poor and teenage mothers.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »

I think it's more worthwhile focusing our energies on people like [Inks]ing Cuomo, who takes the opposite of the Catholic Church's position on almost literally every issue of substance.

I have zero love for Cuomo, but the idea was raised that Kaine somehow wins over non-cafeteria Catholic votes simply because of his purported identity (some news articles are pushing the "Kaine is a Pope Francis Catholic" line hard), which is incorrect, bordering on insulting.

If Cuomo is picked as VP or runs for president someday, I'd denounce him far more firmly than Kaine or Biden.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »

(some news articles are pushing the "Kaine is a Pope Francis Catholic" line hard)

'A Pope Francis Catholic'? Yeesh.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »

Surely this is the least surprising VP pick of my lifetime (born in 1975). Such a boring pick. Does nothing to really help Clinton, I think. Doesn't hurt that much either, but certainly doesn't help convince Sanders voters. Would definitely have preferred Warren to generate some enthusiasm. It's not gonna make any difference for me, but I've been 100% for Clinton since the beginning. Hopefully the convention goes well.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2016, 12:39:36 AM »

Stellar pick. I'm giddy about this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2016, 12:43:14 AM »

(some news articles are pushing the "Kaine is a Pope Francis Catholic" line hard)

'A Pope Francis Catholic'? Yeesh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/07/22/a-pope-francis-catholic-if-clinton-picks-tim-kaine-will-his-faith-matter/

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:01 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:49:57 AM by Jet fuel can't melt dank memes »

Oh for...none of these people 'reflect the way Francis looks at the world'. I thought that was an open secret among Americans who care about Catholicism.

I could see Kaine maybe shoring up certain Hispanic constituencies, and definitely Audrey Assad Catholic Millennials (I know he's shored up at least one such person, my ex-girlfriend who I still talk to almost daily). That's about it.
Fargobison

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2016, 01:03:33 AM »

So the RNC is hitting Kaine on his support for free trade and the Iraq war....

https://twitter.com/bfouhy/status/756644055803629569

These are strange times we are living in. The Democrat VP is not liberal enough for the RNC.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

It's not strange at all. The RNC knows they can manipulate the Berniebros like silly putty. I still remember back in early 2015 when there were articles about how the right was baiting the left, particularly on the internet, into hating Hillary. I'm sure they've had more success than they ever could've dreamed of back then.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2016, 01:25:18 AM »

It's not strange at all. The RNC knows they can manipulate the Berniebros like silly putty. I still remember back in early 2015 when there were articles about how the right was baiting the left, particularly on the internet, into hating Hillary. I'm sure they've had more success than they ever could've dreamed of back then.

Yeah, this is a great point. It's like they're sheep being lead to slaughter.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2016, 01:27:22 AM »

Good choice.

She badly needed someone like Kaine to drag her over the finish line.

With the help of Kaine, Sanders, Biden and Obama she might be able to do so, in a race that she should actually win by 10%.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2016, 02:21:43 AM »

Good choice.

With the help of Kaine, Sanders, Biden and Obama she might be able to do so, in a race that she should actually win by 10%.

So it has nothing to do with her? Jesus you're blinkered.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2016, 02:27:04 AM »

Gotta have serious doubts over Clinton's judgement here, not only in picking someone too close to the center but also putting an otherwise safe senate seat at risk.

No, it wasn't really safe. Virginia's a swing state. The Democrats won that seat by less than 1% in 2006 and about 6% in 2012. Given it will come up in a midterm year it will probably go GOP anyway, look at seats like Colorado and Iowa 2014. And a Democrat Governor gets to appoint a replacement, more progressive picks like Warren or Brown would be replaced by Republican Governors. That's not a reason to oppose this pick.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2016, 04:06:05 AM »

Gotta have serious doubts over Clinton's judgement here, not only in picking someone too close to the center but also putting an otherwise safe senate seat at risk.

No, it wasn't really safe. Virginia's a swing state. The Democrats won that seat by less than 1% in 2006 and about 6% in 2012. Given it will come up in a midterm year it will probably go GOP anyway, look at seats like Colorado and Iowa 2014. And a Democrat Governor gets to appoint a replacement, more progressive picks like Warren or Brown would be replaced by Republican Governors. That's not a reason to oppose this pick.

My comment centered more around the likelihood that the seat was more easily dependable with Kaine (a moderate) as incumbent, rather than having to have a special election in a normally non-election year, where Dem turnout tends to be far lower percentage-wise than Republicans. The smartest choice in that aspect, to me, would've been somebody who isn't currently in the Senate to start with.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »

While I'm dissapointed it's not Warren, Kaine's still better choice than Castro.
DS0816
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »

Wall Street approves.

@ http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/07/22/clintons-vice-president-a-match-made-on-wall-street/
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »

Good choice. And safe too.
JRP1994

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »

Good choice.

No it doesn't. Hillary's blown a 10 point lead in a matter of 4 months.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »

Good choice.

No it doesn't. Hillary's blown a 10 point lead in a matter of 4 months.

Gaps like that close when the opponent wins their respective nomination.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »

Clinton is going to win big and no one should be surprised in November. There is no way Trump is going to win when he's stuck in the low 40s constantly.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »

Love it. I'll start referring to myself as that too when convenient.

At least Kaine goes to mass, unlike Pence and Rubio, who still claim to be Catholic when it helps them but go to evangelical Protestant services instead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies