Clinton picks Kaine for veep (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:44:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9675 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 22, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »

MSNBC just reported that Kaine has made it clear that he will now oppose TPP as part of the Clinton ticket.

Oh well. If this is what it takes to get the loud and influential anti-free trade wing of the party onboard, so be it. Politicians are really bad at selling the benefits of these agreements and an even worse job mitigating their admittedly unfortunate side effects
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:19:52 PM »

MSNBC just reported that Kaine has made it clear that he will now oppose TPP as part of the Clinton ticket.

Oh well. If this is what it takes to get the loud and influential anti-free trade wing of the party onboard, so be it. Politicians are really bad at selling the benefits of these agreements and an even worse job mitigating their admittedly unfortunate side effects

Are there benefits? Other than cheeper goods being imported from overseas, where is the benefit? I'm all in favor of reducing barriers with countries with similar economies (I would have been cool with a Canada only NAFTA or deals Western Europe/Japan, etc), but that's not why these deals are signed.

You must remember I'm thoroughly neoliberal, friend. I think there are strong advantages to consumers and people who work in services. I concur that trade deals with dissimilar economies is disadvantageous, and my ideal free trade zone would be something similar to the EU. Still, more open economies has helped lift millions out of poverty around the world, though not nearly enough and certainly not fast enough.

My main prob with free trade is that after the deals are signed nobody does anything to alleviate the industries affected by them. Laid off workers need help that they haven't received.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »

Free trade being, in general, a good thing does not mean that every given free trade agreement is automatically good or that all people of good will are somehow morally bound to support all of them, and the fact that not every free trade agreement is automatically good and all people of good will are not somehow morally bound to support all of them does not mean that free trade is not, in general, a good thing. I'm amazed that this is apparently such an unpopular position here.

Exactly. I like trade in general. I don't think protectionism is good economic policy. But the dispute resolution provisions in the TPP make me very uneasy with it.

My thoughts too. There are some things in TPP that need some serious revisions, but I like that it liberalizes access for US services in foreign markets. And I abhor the idea of China dictating Asia's trade rules...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies