Clinton picks Kaine for veep (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9537 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: July 22, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »

Great pick! Solid judgement.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

Conservative Catholics aren't going to vote for Hillary, period.

Most of them aren't. But they might not be very enthusiastic about the other ticket either. Especially given that Pence is an outright traitor. And if I were interviewing a conservative Catholic politician, I would sure make him do some squirming Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »

This isn't about conservative Catholics. It's about blue collar and middle class Catholics in the Midwest that are alienated by Trump and have voted Democratic before.

Things get a bit exciting if you look at the Kaine vs. Pence race from this standpoint, don't they?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

Tough on a good altar boy, ain't it?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »

The best thing about Kaine is that he supports TPP.

That's good. Hopefully we can officially establish that Democrat = free trade and Republican = protectionism once and for all.

Would be great!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:09:54 PM »

The campaign's internal polling for Virginia must have been dire.

Trump's internal polling for Indiana must have been dire. Obama's internal polling for Delaware must have been dire. Bush's internal polling for Wyoming must have been dire.

Given everything you know about Hillary, her convictions, her record and her personality: would she really have chosen an old white male centrist from the South as her running mate unless she absolutely had to?

Yes, of course. It would seem to be an obvious preference for her. Or are you talking about some other Hillary?

BTW, years ago she has already chosen a white southerner as her running mate, and has stuck to that choice despite everything.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:41 PM »

I listen to a popular, progressive, and union friendly talk radio show in the Madison, WI area (with a big enough signal to go into Northern Illinois and Eastern Iowa) and anti-TPP and anti-free trade is the main issue on almost every show. The issue resonates with people.

People it resonates with should vote Trump.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:19:21 PM »

I listen to a popular, progressive, and union friendly talk radio show in the Madison, WI area (with a big enough signal to go into Northern Illinois and Eastern Iowa) and anti-TPP and anti-free trade is the main issue on almost every show. The issue resonates with people.

Elizabeth Warren should vote for Trump? Bernie Sanders should vote for Trump? Russ Feingold should vote for Trump? There is nothing Progressive about giving over power to corporations, which is what the TPP would do opposition to free trade does.

Corrected.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 08:22:13 PM by ag »

I couldn't agree more, ag. Smiley

Yeah, I really want all horrible people to concentrate in one party I could comfortably hate then.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick? 

Kaine and Pence are both heretics...

You might be disagreeing with the Pope here.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »

Elizabeth Warren should vote for Trump? Bernie Sanders should vote for Trump? Russ Feingold should vote for Trump? There is nothing Progressive about giving over power to corporations, which is what the TPP would do opposition to free trade does.

Corrected.

Explain?

Very easy. Free trade is what creates competition. Lack of competition is creating superprofits, which go to corporations (it also, of course, reduces output, hurting consumers further, but that is a separate matter). By opposing trade you play into the hands of monopoly owners, pure and simple.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »

A Pope Francis Catholic eww. I'm not the largest fan of the pope's standing on issues though I still respect his authority.

Well, you can always create a new church and make yourself a pope Smiley Ample precedent for that Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »

I couldn't agree more, ag. Smiley

Yeah, I really want all horrible people to concentrate in one party I could comfortably hate then.

You want economic leftists in the Republican Party?  I encourage you to hold your breath for it.

They are taking over, aren't they? Look at your nominee!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies