Clinton picks Kaine for veep (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:33:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9654 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

Conservative Catholics aren't going to vote for Hillary, period.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »

So, with a Catholic VP candidate on the Dem ticket and the Pope not being very enthusiastic about Trump, it would be interesting to see how excited conservative Catholics will be about the Republican nominee Smiley

This isn't about conservative Catholics. It's about blue collar and middle class Catholics in the Midwest that are alienated by Trump and have voted Democratic before.

ag literally mentioned conservative Catholics.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick? 

Kaine and Pence are both heretics but only one supports genocide.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:45:17 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 11:50:29 PM by realisticidealist »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

They both oppose abortion.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Tim_Kaine_Abortion.htm

Supporting Roe v. Wade is not opposing abortion. Being "personally opposed" means jacksh**t if you support it remaining legal. No Catholic politician in good standing with the Church can take such a position.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:13:05 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:32:07 AM by realisticidealist »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick?  

Supporting Roe v. Wade is not opposing abortion. Being "personally opposed" means jacksh**t if you support it remaining legal. No Catholic politician in good standing with the Church can take such a position.

I mean, it means he's uncomfortable with the creepy 'abortion a positive good'-type rhetoric that's suddenly started replacing 'safe, legal, and rare' among American liberals, which is more than one probably could have expected from anyone else Clinton could have chosen.

In some ways, it's better; in some ways, it's worse. How would Dems feel about a GOP candidate who said they were personally opposed to discriminating against gays, but we shouldn't force others to not discriminate? Or someone who was personally opposed to the death penalty, but thought they shouldn't force that on others? Or someone who said they were personally opposed to cops shooting innocent black people, but it's not my right to make that choice for them! It would be little comfort at best, and downright infuriating at worst as they can see the problem but choose not to do a thing about it despite recognizing the harm to others.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:27:45 AM »

Trump and Hillary are both abominations to them, I would imagine.  But if they were to weigh between whether Mike Pence or Tim Kaine is a better representative for them, whom do you think they would pick? 

Tell that to Joe Biden and countless other politicians.

Pope Francis himself has rejected this view.

Yeah, I will. Biden is also a terrible Catholic who sacrificed his integrity and possibly his soul so he could have his career. He likely commits sacrilege every time he takes communion. Kaine is the same.

I don't know what you're talking about with regard to the Pope. The debate about pro-abortion pols and communion is a complicated one, but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »

I think it's more worthwhile focusing our energies on people like [Inks]ing Cuomo, who takes the opposite of the Catholic Church's position on almost literally every issue of substance.

I have zero love for Cuomo, but the idea was raised that Kaine somehow wins over non-cafeteria Catholic votes simply because of his purported identity (some news articles are pushing the "Kaine is a Pope Francis Catholic" line hard), which is incorrect, bordering on insulting.

If Cuomo is picked as VP or runs for president someday, I'd denounce him far more firmly than Kaine or Biden.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 12:43:14 AM »

(some news articles are pushing the "Kaine is a Pope Francis Catholic" line hard)

'A Pope Francis Catholic'? Yeesh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/07/22/a-pope-francis-catholic-if-clinton-picks-tim-kaine-will-his-faith-matter/

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies