Clinton picks Kaine for veep (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:05:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton picks Kaine for veep (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton picks Kaine for veep  (Read 9600 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 22, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »

As I said in the other thread, this is a terrible pick and I don't know how I'm going to vote this November now.

Why? It's not like you'll be seeing a lot of him or hearing him much as opposed to Hillary. In all my years, who the VP is has never been much of an issue with me. Except for the Dan Quayle years. He was an embarrassment, but Kaine certainly is smart, articulate, loyal and a decent human being.

He's pro-TPP.  He favors one of the first things Hillary would renege on.

I don't live in a deciding state anyway, so I can vote my conscience.

North Caronlina isn't a swing state?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

One progressive point on Kaine that I think many people are passing over is that he has called for Congressional approval of the military campaign vs. ISIS. Plus reining in Presidential war powers and limiting the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force. Hopefully that sticks.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »

MSNBC just reported that Kaine has made it clear that he will now oppose TPP as part of the Clinton ticket.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:55 PM »

I listen to a popular, progressive, and union friendly talk radio show in the Madison, WI area (with a big enough signal to go into Northern Illinois and Eastern Iowa) and anti-TPP and anti-free trade is the main issue on almost every show. The issue resonates with people.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »

The best thing about Kaine is that he supports TPP.

That's good. Hopefully we can officially establish that Democrat = free trade and Republican = protectionism once and for all.

Would be great!

Disgusting. You can say goodbye to the Midwest and union support if that's the case.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 08:14:55 PM by Gass3268 »

I listen to a popular, progressive, and union friendly talk radio show in the Madison, WI area (with a big enough signal to go into Northern Illinois and Eastern Iowa) and anti-TPP and anti-free trade is the main issue on almost every show. The issue resonates with people.

People it resonates with should vote Trump.

Elizabeth Warren should vote for Trump? Bernie Sanders should vote for Trump? Russ Feingold should vote for Trump? There is nothing Progressive about giving over power to corporations, which is what the TPP would do.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:23:56 PM »

Elizabeth Warren should vote for Trump? Bernie Sanders should vote for Trump? Russ Feingold should vote for Trump? There is nothing Progressive about giving over power to corporations, which is what the TPP would do opposition to free trade does.

Corrected.

Explain?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:33 PM »

MSNBC just reported that Kaine has made it clear that he will now oppose TPP as part of the Clinton ticket.

Oh well. If this is what it takes to get the loud and influential anti-free trade wing of the party onboard, so be it. Politicians are really bad at selling the benefits of these agreements and an even worse job mitigating their admittedly unfortunate side effects

Are there benefits? Other than cheeper goods being imported from overseas, where is the benefit? I'm all in favor of reducing barriers with countries with similar economies (I would have been cool with a Canada only NAFTA or deals Western Europe/Japan, etc), but that's not why these deals are signed.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:15 PM »

Elizabeth Warren should vote for Trump? Bernie Sanders should vote for Trump? Russ Feingold should vote for Trump? There is nothing Progressive about giving over power to corporations, which is what the TPP would do opposition to free trade does.

Corrected.

Explain?

Very easy. Free trade is what creates competition. Lack of competition is creating superprofits, which go to corporations (it also, of course, reduces output, hurting consumers further, but that is a separate matter). By opposing trade you play into the hands of monopoly owners, pure and simple.

Yet it allows jobs to easily move out of the country. Also the TPP explicitly gives corporations the same rights and powers as actual nations. Luckily as of right now Hillary opposes the TPP.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »

Free trade being, in general, a good thing does not mean that every given free trade agreement is automatically good or that all people of good will are somehow morally bound to support all of them, and the fact that not every free trade agreement is automatically good and all people of good will are not somehow morally bound to support all of them does not mean that free trade is not, in general, a good thing. I'm amazed that this is apparently such an unpopular position here.

I know that my opposition to free trade comes from growing up in the Midwest where this issue is very negative. I know that if I grew up in the coasts, a place where there are some benefits, I would probably be more supportive.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »

This VP roll out is a million times better than Trump/Pence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies