Will the Liberal wing of the Democratic Party be put away for the next 8 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the Liberal wing of the Democratic Party be put away for the next 8 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will the Liberal wing of the Democratic Party be put away for the next 8 years?  (Read 1635 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
« edited: July 22, 2016, 08:41:03 PM by Vega »

If Hillary wins. I'm inclined to say yes; of course you'll see a continuance of it in certain areas, but during her term it might revert to how it was under Bill.

And then in 2024 they'll come back with a vengeance.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »

Hillary is a liberal! How many times must we say this, must I shout it from the rooftops? Because I can't get to my building's roof without a special key, so we're gonna have issues - regardless

HILLARY IS A LIBERAL
HILLARY CLINTON IS A LIBERAL POLITICIAN
HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON IS A GODDAMNED, NO-BS LIBERAL!!!!!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »

If only.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »

Hillary is a liberal! How many times must we say this, must I shout it from the rooftops? Because I can't get to my building's roof without a special key, so we're gonna have issues - regardless

HILLARY IS A LIBERAL
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »

HILLARY IS A LIBERAL
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:03 PM »

Like Obama, I expect Clinton to occasionally disappoint liberals, but still largely be in the center-left. It will be interesting to see in which areas she pursues liberal actions and in which she sticks more to the center.  I certainly expect that she will pursue some liberal policies and appoint some liberal personnel.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:59:37 AM »

The left should always keep pressure on her.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:49 AM »

Hopefully or Clinton will be a one term president
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 04:51:14 AM »

I hope the concept of describing anyone to Hillary's left as 'liberal' is put away for eternity.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:10 AM »

Anyone who says the Democratic Party hasn't moved way left needs to seriously contemplate that we are in a political climate where Hillary Clinton is not sufficiently liberal, LOL.  The fact that she's labeled as some sort of economic moderate is bewildering.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »

I think the two Democratic campaigns this year split the party into two factions; the establishment Democrats concerned with fighting against the social conservatives, and the younger liberals who are focused on economic issues such as Wall Street corruption.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »

Either that or they'll make the mass exodus they've been talking about lately. Frankly I'd like to give them an enthusiastic wave goodbye and hold the door for them.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »

The left wing (not Liberal lol) of the Dems is the strongest it has been since the 70's. And it will become even stronger as more millennials start voting.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »

I hope the concept of describing anyone to Hillary's left as 'liberal' is put away for eternity.

As part of that left wing, I certainly hope not. The Kaine pick is disappointing. I sincerely hope that 2018 features a series of primary challenges from our side.

Anyone who says the Democratic Party hasn't moved way left needs to seriously contemplate that we are in a political climate where Hillary Clinton is not sufficiently liberal, LOL.  The fact that she's labeled as some sort of economic moderate is bewildering.

Free trade, regulation of financial institutions.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

As part of that left wing, I certainly hope not. The Kaine pick is disappointing. I sincerely hope that 2018 features a series of primary challenges from our side.

Have you listened to her campaign at all?!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »

Have you listened to her campaign at all?!

Uhh, are you aware of the stereotypical relationship between politicians and the truth?

Like seriously, I don't get this viewpoint at all. Clinton can campaign however she likes. It's her record of governance that seriously troubles me, and no amount of reversals and promises over one cycle would ever fix that.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »

Uhh, are you aware of the stereotypical relationship between politicians and the truth?

Like seriously, I don't get this viewpoint at all. Clinton can campaign however she likes. It's her record of governance that seriously troubles me, and no amount of reversals and promises over one cycle would ever fix that.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/promises-promises/485981/

It seems unfair to say she is going to screw over liberals with lies about regulations. I mean come on. She is at the end of her career and, with her age, basically nearing the end of her life. If there was any time for Hillary to keep her word, it would be now, at the time where she can leave a positive legacy that refutes the criticisms she has faced all her life. To think she doesn't care about this is dehumanizing at best.

She is not going to be perfect, and will surely disappoint some at one point or another, but at least give her a chance.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/promises-promises/485981/

It seems unfair to say she is going to screw over liberals with lies about regulations. I mean come on. She is at the end of her career and, with her age, basically nearing the end of her life. If there was any time for Hillary to keep her word, it would be now, at the time where she can leave a positive legacy that refutes the criticisms she has faced all her life. To think she doesn't care about this is dehumanizing at best.

She is not going to be perfect, and will surely disappoint some at one point or another, but at least give her a chance.

Re: the article. Man am I happy that the President renegotiated NAFTA like he promised to. Oh wait, he passed a larger agreement of fundamentally the same substance.

Re: your point -

I assume that she and I have very different versions of a positive legacy.

I think she thinks that an interventionist foreign policy is responsible. I disagree.

I think she thinks that economic elites are sufficient stakeholders such that they can regulate themselves. I disagree.

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to expect that campaign trail switches of policy conducted under great pressure (TPP, Keystone, healthcare, education, her banking plan) are likely to be true goals of Secretary Clinton.

I fully believe that she will govern in the way that she thinks best, and will attempt to lead the US into her vision of a better future. I just happen to disagree with her assumptions, methods, and goals as spelled out in her 14 years in government, and 25 years in Washington.

So no, her chance was from 2001-2014. I don't think she needs another. 
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »

Hillary is a member of the liberal wing.
Bernie is a member of the progressive wing.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 05:46:46 PM by Virginia »

Re: the article. Man am I happy that the President renegotiated NAFTA like he promised to. Oh wait, he passed a larger agreement of fundamentally the same substance.

Obama intended to revise NAFTA via TPP:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/TPP-Upgrading-the-North-American-Free-Trade-Agreement-NAFTA-Fact-Sheet.pdf

You can say that it would make it worse, but I don't think he sees it that way. Personally, I'm not against trade deals in principle, and perhaps TPP "improves" on NAFTA, but again, this deal represents what Americans don't want. There are too many corporate goodies. If they can't negotiate trade deals without giving away the farm to corporations, then they should just stop with the trade deals. Period.

I'm not sure if you just blew off the entire premise of that article based on one thing, though. There was no insinuation that they always do absolutely everything - and there are generally reasons why they may not pull through on some issues. The point was that past presidents have pushed for/attempted to do a majority of the things they say.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alright, well have fun with that. You're basically convinced she is going to screw everyone over and likewise now I think I am convinced nothing is going to change your mind, short of her actually doing what she says. I mean I can't argue with what you're saying because there is no way to refute things that haven't happened one way or the other yet. So, ok, we'll have to agree to disagree then.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »

Can someone please explain how people who like and voted for Obama find Hillary "too moderate"? Because her campaign is objectively to the left of his in 2008/2012.

Or is it just because he's a cool black guy and she's a shrill bitch?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »

Can someone please explain how people who like and voted for Obama find Hillary "too moderate"? Because her campaign is objectively to the left of his in 2008/2012.

Or is it just because he's a cool black guy and she's a shrill bitch?

1. People don't actually trust that Hillary is to the left of Obama, they think she just did that because she thought it was the only way she could beat Obama and Sanders. This is especially true on trade and on Keystone, where Hillary's 2015 position changes look like incredibly convenient timing. People think that once in office, Hillary will be like Bill Clinton. The left doesn't like that.

2. The Sanders' candidacy has shown people a new definition of being "leftist" that they may have not been aware of before, therefore their expectations for the dem party have been raised. Yeah in 2008 you had Kucinich, but he never really got anywhere....

3. Sexism/Racism (blacks being racist against whites)

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »

Will the liberal wing of the Democratic Party allow itself to be "put away?"  THAT is the question.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:18 PM »

Will the liberal wing of the Democratic Party allow itself to be "put away?"  THAT is the question.

The answer is obviously not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies