Do you think Johnson will make the debate stage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 02:43:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you think Johnson will make the debate stage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Do you think Johnson will make the debate stage?  (Read 1687 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »

(And yes, the way I see it, the two major political parties have way too much control over who gets to attend the debates...).

I mean, it's up to each individual candidate to decide if he or she wants to attend a debate, no?  So I'm not sure what kind of alternative you would propose.  They're not going to do debates with third party candidates unless they think it's in their interest.  How would you force them to show up at debates with more candidates?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 10:08:31 AM »

(And yes, the way I see it, the two major political parties have way too much control over who gets to attend the debates...).

I mean, it's up to each individual candidate to decide if he or she wants to attend a debate, no?  So I'm not sure what kind of alternative you would propose.  They're not going to do debates with third party candidates unless they think it's in their interest.  How would you force them to show up at debates with more candidates?

As I've said elsewhere, I think any candidate who can possibly garner the number of EVs needed to be elected president should be invited to be a part of at least one nationally sponsored debate. If a candidate decides not to participate in that debate, that's their prerogative. If the parties want to offer additional debates with a more limited set of attendees, that's their prerogative. But to say that a candidate can't offer views in a debate until they reach some arbitrary polling level set by the two dominant parties? That's simply imposing a self-serving catch-22. And I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a ticket containing former two-term governors in both the president and vp slots is somehow less qualified to debate than a ticket headed by either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »

As I've said elsewhere, I think any candidate who can possibly garner the number of EVs needed to be elected president should be invited to be a part of at least one nationally sponsored debate.

What is a "nationally sponsored debate"?  One that gets broadcast on the TV networks?  There are already various outfits that invite all the candidates, including third party candidates, to participate in debates.  Free & Equal is one that invites all the candidates with ballot access in a sufficient number of states.  If the major party candidates would actually show up for those debates, I'm sure the TV networks would be happy to broadcast them.  But the major party candidates *won't* show up at those debates, and I'm not sure how you're going to convince them to do so.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »

Some Republican politicians at the state level have already endorsed Gary Johnson. There are rumors of a Jeb Bush endorsement, and Mitt Romney has not ruled it out. Are endorsements enough? Does he need advertising? He needs to average at least 15% in the polls of five pollsters selected by the Commission for Presidential Debates to be included on the debate stage. What would it take for Gary Johnson to make the main debate stage?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »

Some Republican politicians at the state level have already endorsed Gary Johnson. There are rumors of a Jeb Bush endorsement, and Mitt Romney has not ruled it out. Are endorsements enough? Does he need advertising? He needs to average at least 15% in the polls of five pollsters selected by the Commission for Presidential Debates to be included on the debate stage. What would it take for Gary Johnson to make the main debate stage?
Money. He needs to get on the airwaves to introduce himself to voters.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »

As I've said elsewhere, I think any candidate who can possibly garner the number of EVs needed to be elected president should be invited to be a part of at least one nationally sponsored debate.

What is a "nationally sponsored debate"?  One that gets broadcast on the TV networks?  There are already various outfits that invite all the candidates, including third party candidates, to participate in debates.  Free & Equal is one that invites all the candidates with ballot access in a sufficient number of states.  If the major party candidates would actually show up for those debates, I'm sure the TV networks would be happy to broadcast them.  But the major party candidates *won't* show up at those debates, and I'm not sure how you're going to convince them to do so.

You're right, that's the problem. I think we need one publicly funded, nationally broadcast debate to which all candidates with sufficient ballot access are automatically included. And that broadcast takes place, no matter if there's one candidate on the stage or a dozen; have it so that each eligible candidate has a place, whether they're in attendance or not. If the major party candidates decide not to show up, so be it; at least there would be one nationally broadcast debate at which all candidates were presented on an equal footing. We always hear how it would be just too difficult to accommodate more than two people at such a debate, but it was interesting to see how the GOP debates managed to accomplish pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. So I guess the carrot I'm proposing is one instance of voter financed air time every four years.
HilLarry
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »

Media won't let it happen. (Just like Carly in the primaries)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Media won't let it happen. (Just like Carly in the primaries)

They specifically changed the rules to let Carly in, not keep her out.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »

No, and from what I have seen of Johnson, he would make a horrible debater. There just isn't any gravitas there at all. He really doesn't know much. But he's a pleasant fellow, no doubt about that.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »

No, and from what I have seen of Johnson, he would make a horrible debater. There just isn't any gravitas there at all. He really doesn't know much. But he's a pleasant fellow, no doubt about that.

Unfortunately this may be true.  This is why I wanted McAfee.  He could wipe the floor with these two in a debate, imo.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »

You're right, that's the problem. I think we need one publicly funded, nationally broadcast debate to which all candidates with sufficient ballot access are automatically included. And that broadcast takes place, no matter if there's one candidate on the stage or a dozen; have it so that each eligible candidate has a place, whether they're in attendance or not.

Problem is, you can't force a TV network to broadcast an event that they're not interested in broadcasting.  And they wouldn't be interested in broadcasting a debate between Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, because not enough of the public cares about them.  You'd need the major party candidates to show up in order for the networks to bother broadcasting such a thing, and there's no way to force them to show up.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »

You're right, that's the problem. I think we need one publicly funded, nationally broadcast debate to which all candidates with sufficient ballot access are automatically included. And that broadcast takes place, no matter if there's one candidate on the stage or a dozen; have it so that each eligible candidate has a place, whether they're in attendance or not.

Problem is, you can't force a TV network to broadcast an event that they're not interested in broadcasting.  And they wouldn't be interested in broadcasting a debate between Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, because not enough of the public cares about them.  You'd need the major party candidates to show up in order for the networks to bother broadcasting such a thing, and there's no way to force them to show up.

Not true. If you are willing to pay for air time, a TV network would be happy to broadcast a picture of a potted plant for two hours. Their interest in what you're broadcasting ends where the almighty dollar begins.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »

Probably not, though a Jeb endorsement and some free media could get more polls to include his name and boost his numbers.

A low energy endorsement won't do him much good, really.

Putting Johnson on stage would probably work to Trump's advantage during the debate itself.  He's fantastic at stealing the show in multiparty debates and there will be less time for Hillary to dismantle his statements.  Of course, in the race as a whole, legitimizing Johnson as a choice is the last thing either party wants.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »

Not true. If you are willing to pay for air time, a TV network would be happy to broadcast a picture of a potted plant for two hours. Their interest in what you're broadcasting ends where the almighty dollar begins.

Well sure, you could pay them to broadcast it, but who's going to supply the $ for that?  Taxpayers?  That idea wouldn't be terribly popular.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »

Very unlikely. It's already a polarizing election and third parties typically sink like rocks starting now. No reason yet to believe that won't happen again. He also hasn't managed a single poll at or over 15%.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies