Should Hillary make a pledge to serve only one term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:23:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Hillary make a pledge to serve only one term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Hillary make a pledge to serve only one term?  (Read 1734 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »

It would certainly make voting for her slightly easier for progressives and independents alike. Plus she's kind of old.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:00:21 AM »

I think she absolutely should, but she won't. It would be a good way to broker out the progressives.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2016, 02:06:54 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Stop.
This is one of the silliest questions I have seen on this forum.
Trapsy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:59 AM »

It's a sacrifice she may have to make in order to retain the WH in 2020. It will already be a realignment period, where the balance of congress will shift. I also wonder if the republican party will repair itself by then. There are so many factors to watch but the only argument for a 2nd term is if some major progress happens in the next four years(which I doubt).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:44:05 AM »

Nobody who isn't already voting for her believes anything that comes out of Hillary's mouth, so this wouldn't change anyone's mind.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:44:41 AM »

That would not change my opinion of a candidate. The candidate himself/herself should decide this for his/her own. If age is an issue, you can also ask this for TRUMP.

However, it would be interesting to have. The last one-term president who declined to seek reelection was Rutherford Hayes in 1880 (not counting one-and-a-half-termers like Teddy, Coolidge, Truman or LBJ).

Didn't Biden say last year that if he'd run and win, he would only serve one term?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:28 AM »

That would not change my opinion of a candidate. The candidate himself/herself should decide this for his/her own. If age is an issue, you can also ask this for TRUMP.

However, it would be interesting to have. The last one-term president who declined to seek reelection was Rutherford Hayes in 1880 (not counting one-and-a-half-termers like Teddy, Coolidge, Truman or LBJ).

Didn't Biden say last year that if he'd run and win, he would only serve one term?

Just wanted to note on LBJ, as far as I know he did run, but dropped out early in the primaries after doing poorly.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 03:59:53 AM »

Just wanted to note on LBJ, as far as I know he did run, but dropped out early in the primaries after doing poorly.

Yeah, same with Truman in 1952.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:25:00 AM »

I'm skeptical as to whether any such voter who would be influenced by such a pledge actually exists. Surely pledge or no pledge, someone who feels very strongly about Hillary serving exactly one term would just vote for Hillary in 2016 and then not vote for her in 2020, no?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 05:38:03 AM »

If there is some question of her mental or physical health.
Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »

Does anyone happen to remember whether McCain made some noise in that direction in 2008?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »

Nobody who isn't already voting for her believes anything that comes out of Hillary's mouth, so this wouldn't change anyone's mind.

Agreed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 08:50:27 AM »

It would certainly make voting for her slightly easier for progressives and independents alike. Plus she's kind of old.

No President should ever make that pledge; it turns them into a Lame Duck prematurely.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:58 AM »

No President should ever make that pledge; it turns them into a Lame Duck prematurely.

I fear she likely won't make it thru two full terms, but 2019 is soon enuf for her to decide whether she should run for a second term.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »

No way. Why should she undermine her presidency from the start? And for what? If a "progressive" wants to vote Donald Trump, he is welcome to do so.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »

She shouldn't, and any way, IF she wins (and that is a big if), I actually believe that she will be quite a popular president once people yet again realize that she really isn't the antichrist. Hillary is usually popular when in office and unpopular on the campaign trail.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/joe-biden-possible-2016-presidential-race-promises-one-term-121359

He did, but I feel like he only said that because he is 73 years old. He obviously knows that his ability to effectively carry out a second term at age 78-79 would likely be significantly diminished. With that in mind, the pledge doesn't mean as much (to me, anyway)

She shouldn't, and any way, IF she wins (and that is a big if), I actually believe that she will be quite a popular president once people yet again realize that she really isn't the antichrist. Hillary is usually popular when in office and unpopular on the campaign trail.

I hope for that, but I can't ignore the fact that before she didn't have Benghazi and emails dogging her. They have undeniably hurt her on multiple fronts, and I don't think it will be that easy to recover from. Her administration really can't be involved in any scandals and must actually accomplish things the people want, otherwise America is going to judge her more harshly on relatively trivial issues.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »

No
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »

I'm generally in favor of Presidents being limited to one term. Maybe longer than four years, but just one.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »

No, that would be a stupid move and make her look weak, a direction she has never chosen. She hasn't done it for the Republicans and she certainly shouldn't do it for sore losers on the left.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »

No, don't be ridiculous.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »

Why not? That will improve her chances of being elected. She can always back down on that promise later, if she feels like it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »

Why not? That will improve her chances of being elected. She can always back down on that promise later, if she feels like it.

Because it would make her an immediate lame duck, and would change few if any votes anyway.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »

Ljube,
She doesn't need to "improve her chances of being elected."
Her chances are pretty-damn-good now.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »

Because it would make her an immediate lame duck, and would change few if any votes anyway.

Never Trump Pubs come to mind.
They can suffer her for one term, but not two.
And neverTrumpers are all she has left. She is losing the working class anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies