The Case for Vilsack
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Case for Vilsack
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Case for Vilsack  (Read 995 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFL8sWdFquA

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/potential-clinton-vp-tom-vilsack-best-kept-secret-politics-n610631

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/07/14/daily-202-keep-an-eye-on-tom-vilsack-in-hillary-clinton-s-veepstakes/57870a37cd96926bdf4092b6/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »

I like Secy. Vilsack. He's more safer than Kaine. He'd do no harm, but that is what Clinton needs. Excitement my ass. He is qualified, but he's also a lawyer. He could get feisty and fiery at the right time, maybe in the veep debate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »

I like Secy. Vilsack. He's more safer than Kaine. He'd do no harm, but that is what Clinton needs. Excitement my ass. He is qualified, but he's also a lawyer. He could get feisty and fiery at the right time, maybe in the veep debate.
Obama pls drone

Thanks,
Kingpoleon
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:13:38 AM »

LOL
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:39:26 AM »

Vilsack was a substandard governor that mostly got by due to Brandstad fatigue. In practice his priorities were skewed towards pet projects and lacked perspective on the grand scale. He brings nothing of much use to the ticket and I suspect that the more folks like me (heavily left leaning types) learn about him the less enthusiastic they'll be about him. I'd rather have Al Gore be Clinton's VP pick.

They say the first rule of picking a VP is to do no harm. A pick of Vilsack will do harm with me. If Clinton wasn't going up against a fascist wanna be (which admittedly is most potential Republican presidents in my view) and she picked Vilsack, I'd laugh for a while then vote green because it will be clear Clinton doesn't know what the heck she's doing picking him. Vilsack should not be any where near the presidency. I was rather happy Obama put him in the cabinet because at least there he couldn't screw over Iowa politics further.

Yes, there's worse picks out there. But it seems most of them have already been taken off the table.
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:15:07 AM »

Vilsack was a substandard governor that mostly got by due to Brandstad fatigue. In practice his priorities were skewed towards pet projects and lacked perspective on the grand scale. He brings nothing of much use to the ticket and I suspect that the more folks like me (heavily left leaning types) learn about him the less enthusiastic they'll be about him. I'd rather have Al Gore be Clinton's VP pick.

They say the first rule of picking a VP is to do no harm. A pick of Vilsack will do harm with me. If Clinton wasn't going up against a fascist wanna be (which admittedly is most potential Republican presidents in my view) and she picked Vilsack, I'd laugh for a while then vote green because it will be clear Clinton doesn't know what the heck she's doing picking him. Vilsack should not be any where near the presidency. I was rather happy Obama put him in the cabinet because at least there he couldn't screw over Iowa politics further.

Yes, there's worse picks out there. But it seems most of them have already been taken off the table.

Who would satisfy hard left types like yourself?

Warren? Perez? Becerra?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »

Vilsack would've been a great choice in case of Ernst. Even with Pence, it might be good to have a midwesterner, and Tom may be the choice.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »

Hillary's VP (if she is elected) will be mega-overshadowed.  Hillary will trust only her inner circle of Hillbots.  In that case, having an anonymous figure like Vilsack as VP is not a bad idea. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »

The Case for Vilsack:

- more naps.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

Nah she doesn't need Vilsack as VP.

Vilsack's main appeal is to rural farmer types, she should use him heavily on the trail.  I'm sure he can make the case in excruciating detail for how good the Obama administration has been for farmers, to counter Trump's protectionist rhetoric.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »

The Case for Vilsack:

- more naps.

Maybe that's what Americans need? More naps? Life is hectic as it is already. We can all probably take a good collective nap.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »

I reject the premise of this thread.  There is no case for Vilsack.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »

Scott Adams had an interesting theory for why Trump went with Pence.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
By this logic, Vilsack is one of Hillary's strongest choices. He's an elderly white guy and a transplanted New Yorker (graduate of Albany Law School) who could serve as a subconscious proxy for Trump, without Hillary giving up the experience argument.

On the usual resume front, Vilsack is solid. He was a swing state Governor from the midwest and has served in Obama's presidential cabinet.

A likely advantage in the eyes of the Clintons is that he backed her in the 2008 primary, unlike Kaine, who supported Obama. He'd be unlikely to run in 2024, which means there wouldn't be a Vice President who has different goals from the President (a problem with Gore in the Clinton administration, and an advantage for Biden in the Obama administration.)

The main knock against him is that he's old and boring. This would be the first major presidential ticket with two elderly people.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »

Vilsack would be a huge disappointment.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »

I reject the premise of this thread.  There is no case for Vilsack.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »

Interesting micro article about a rural Ohio town and how the USDA has pivoted under Vilsack to try and deal with modern problems (drugs)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-22/in-backyard-of-rnc-drugs-vanishing-jobs-strain-rural-america

Such social problems have changed the government’s conception of rural development, says Vilsack, who’s under consideration by Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton as a possible running mate.

Five years ago, “we might have made a grant for a fire station,” he said in an interview. “Now it might be a substance-abuse center.”

On Friday, speaking about the opioid crisis in Missouri, Vilsack urged local health managers to make use of USDA nutritional programs for women and children as part of their efforts “to stem the tide of this epidemic.” He also called on Congress to boost funding for addiction treatment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies