Has the internet made confirmation bias worse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Has the internet made confirmation bias worse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Maybe/Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Has the internet made confirmation bias worse?  (Read 191 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like the internet really does indulge our confirmation bias in an awful way. We see this at work in politics. It's all too easy to search specifically for positive articles or hit pieces on candidates, rather than looking for a more objective analysis. We can search specifically for evidence/research which backs up our own beliefs and ideas, rather than being open to alternative ideas. There's so much out there on the web, and it's harder to definitively know the validity of our findings. What's even worse, in my mind, is that people seem to trust what they read online over what an actual expert claims.

I'll give you an example. There's a certain musical ability called "perfect pitch" (no relation to "Pitch Perfect.") I'll spare you all of the details, but there's some debate as to whether or not it can be learned. As someone who has studied music extensively, I know that it is not entirely innate, even if genetic factors contribute to the probability of it. Yet, I've encountered people claiming that it must be completely innate, because that's what they read online. I have friends who work in the medical profession, and they all have stories about how patients try and correct their doctors based on information which they found online.

I'm not here to go on a tirade about the internet, but I am personally worried about how much it allows us to indulge in our confirmation bias. Thoughts?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies