Who will take up Trump's populist mantra in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:50:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who will take up Trump's populist mantra in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who will take up Trump's populist mantra in 2020?  (Read 4081 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »

Mike Pence or Donald Trump, Jr.
hopper
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 03:46:42 PM »

Nobody. The Republican Establishment will simply go back to its old cheap labor, environmentally-ravaging, tax-cuts-for the rich agenda that creates great profits for elites and misery for everyone else.  The anti-intellectualism will remain.
I don't think the Democrats economic policies are that great either. Great Profits for elites-Yeah under Obama(a Democrat President) the elites are making lots of money.

Cheap Labor-Why as a Democrat would you complain about that? Obama won people that made 50K and under I believe in 2012.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »

I don't know Steve King of Iowa could do it but I don't think he wants to run for President. He already said Mexicans on the US/Mexico border are drug dealers. I don't think he is protectionist like Trump is though. He is for ethonal subsidies because of the district he represents amd Iowa as a whole is relying heavily on ethonal subsidies.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

A second Trump U.S. Presidential run in 2020?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »

Tom Cotton could try get a more mainstream and conservative version of it.

Doubt Pence can fit, he's a balance to the ticket, more conservative and establishment.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 01:46:27 PM »

Out of curiosity--do you think that Tom Cotton can appeal to large numbers of White, blue-collar voters in Midwestern U.S. states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, let me say this--I think that, at the very least, one can say that Pence is more closely associated with the Religious Right than a Trump-like populist should probably be.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »

Out of curiosity--do you think that Tom Cotton can appeal to large numbers of White, blue-collar voters in Midwestern U.S. states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania?

Well, let me say this--I think that, at the very least, one can say that Pence is more closely associated with the Religious Right than a Trump-like populist should probably be.

If those voters want to get on board with, ya know, actual conservatism.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »

If those voters want to get on board with, ya know, actual conservatism.
What's the likelihood that those voters actually want to get on board with this, though? Completely serious question, for the record.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

I cannot conceive of any scenario where anyone would want to recreate that nightmare.

There is a big difference between populism, which I very much support, and a downright hateful and unrealistic campaign.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »

I cannot conceive of any scenario where anyone would want to recreate that nightmare.

There is a big difference between populism, which I very much support, and a downright hateful and unrealistic campaign.
Yes, which in turn is why exactly I am talking about copying Trump's populism but without Trump's bigotry, racism, xenophobia, et cetera.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »

Yes, which in turn is why exactly I am talking about copying Trump's populism but without Trump's bigotry, racism, xenophobia, et cetera.

In that case, Cruz, the conservative populist hero.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies