Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:45:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 67
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 44435 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »

Dude, the RNC music was bad too. They should've played Sinatra's New York New York during the balloon drop. Instead they played a Stones song that had no connection at all.

Calm down dude. How are you gonna handle your future students?

I already have students who I've trained to be much more respectful than you, thanks.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »

After finding out that he smokes and drinks, we should just pity him and ignore his antics.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »

Haven't seen much on this thread, other than the usual Hillary hacks freaking out blaming everything on Bernie, and the Republican hacks rubbing their hands.

What is neglected is the fundamentals that the Democratic Party is deeply divided regarding foreign and economic policy, over decades of poor decisions going back to the early 1990s and the time of the DLC.

We saw NAFTA rammed down our throat supported by a Democratic President, where the vast majority our Senators and Reps voted against.

Personally, I saw (500) jobs disappear virtually overnight in a (9,000 employee) manufacturing facility of a Fortune 500 company where I worked, where the starting pay was $11.50-13.50/Hour (DOE) back in the mid '90s, including two friends that worked on those lines. Subsequently, the same company shut down virtually all manufacturing lines and relocated them to Ireland, Puerto Rico, and Singapore, and several thousand more high paying manufacturing jobs (Including management, engineers, sales and marketing, etc...) in order to take advantage of corporate tax loopholes.

These stories exist across America, and yes the Democratic Party at senior levels was responsible for that trade agreement.

Is it any wonder that Donald Trump has made this a major issue, when it appears for many Democratic voters that the Party is so much in favor of "Free Trade" without providing "Fair Trade" that actually provides the labor and environmental protections, job retraining and education policies that were promised when the Democratic Party DLC (Now thankfully retired) chose to go that route???

I know many posters on this forum, including a huge number of red avatars, don't actually remember what happened because they are too young, nor saw friends, family, and even communities impacted by the destruction caused by a Neo-Corporatist vision as part of a giant "race to the bottom" based upon a Globalist vision that appears to care more about Wall Street investors where everything is Profit/Loss and not about investing in America Inc....

Don't blame Bernie for actually speaking the truth when it comes to the collusion of *both* political parties in the selling out of America to the highest bidder.

No, I contest the idea that anecdotes should be taken as facts, especially on free trade.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #453 on: July 25, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »

So much for the Dems being competitive in Arizona this year.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #454 on: July 25, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »

After Sanchez it looks like about an hour or so of all unions all the time...

Lee Saunders, AFSCME
Lily Eskelsen Garcia, National Education Association
Mary Kay Henry, SEIU
Richard Trumka, AFL-CIO
Sean McGarvey, Building and Construction Trades
Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #455 on: July 25, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »

They got Michelle Lujan Grisham's district wrong. She's NM-1, not in California!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »

Dude, the RNC music was bad too. They should've played Sinatra's New York New York during the balloon drop. Instead they played a Stones song that had no connection at all.

I already have students who I've trained to be much more respectful than you, thanks.

Are you owed some level of respect from ChairmanSanchez that none of us have been informed about?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »

Michelle Lujan Grisham's district number was listed as CA-51. She's from New Mexico. Not a huge deal, but someone was not proofing that video well.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #458 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:41 PM »

Haven't seen much on this thread, other than the usual Hillary hacks freaking out blaming everything on Bernie, and the Republican hacks rubbing their hands.

What is neglected is the fundamentals that the Democratic Party is deeply divided regarding foreign and economic policy, over decades of poor decisions going back to the early 1990s and the time of the DLC.

We saw NAFTA rammed down our throat supported by a Democratic President, where the vast majority our Senators and Reps voted against.

Personally, I saw (500) jobs disappear virtually overnight in a (9,000 employee) manufacturing facility of a Fortune 500 company where I worked, where the starting pay was $11.50-13.50/Hour (DOE) back in the mid '90s, including two friends that worked on those lines. Subsequently, the same company shut down virtually all manufacturing lines and relocated them to Ireland, Puerto Rico, and Singapore, and several thousand more high paying manufacturing jobs (Including management, engineers, sales and marketing, etc...) in order to take advantage of corporate tax loopholes.

These stories exist across America, and yes the Democratic Party at senior levels was responsible for that trade agreement.

Is it any wonder that Donald Trump has made this a major issue, when it appears for many Democratic voters that the Party is so much in favor of "Free Trade" without providing "Fair Trade" that actually provides the labor and environmental protections, job retraining and education policies that were promised when the Democratic Party DLC (Now thankfully retired) chose to go that route???

I know many posters on this forum, including a huge number of red avatars, don't actually remember what happened because they are too young, nor saw friends, family, and even communities impacted by the destruction caused by a Neo-Corporatist vision as part of a giant "race to the bottom" based upon a Globalist vision that appears to care more about Wall Street investors where everything is Profit/Loss and not about investing in America Inc....

Don't blame Bernie for actually speaking the truth when it comes to the collusion of *both* political parties in the selling out of America to the highest bidder.

I'm an Independent. I agree with you on some of your things. I do believe that NAFTA has cost jobs and I am not for the TPP. However, taxing Wall Street to eternity will cost jobs. You can't destroy Wall Street and expect economic prosperity.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #459 on: July 25, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »

Rep Sanchez: "Trump is bad, he is a meanie, and I don't like him."
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

Replace Trump with minorities and you just summed up Trump's campaign in a sentence. Well done.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2016, 06:15:44 PM »

That's not what she said. At least she's not shouting "Lock him up" or calling for him to be put before a firing squad.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »

morty worlsh up now
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: July 25, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »

This guy is so Boston.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #464 on: July 25, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »

Nate Silver is saying that only about 2-5% of the entire arena is booing.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More fuzzy math from Mr. Silver. It's certainly not a majority or anything but I'd be surprised if it's not quite a bit more than that.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »

This isn't good:

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #466 on: July 25, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »

These Bernie bohemians are so annoying.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: July 25, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »

Lee Saunders is kicking butt.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #468 on: July 25, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »

I don't owe a random Canadian guy from an internet forum who is like two years older than me any "respect" nor have I actually disrespected you personally in any way, so I'm quite confused.
Averroės Nix
United States

« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »

That was great. The union crew seems much better at projecting enthusiasm than anyone else who has been on stage since Ben Jealous.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »

DNC plagiarism. Melania and Michelle, Trumpka and Bentson lol.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »

We saw NAFTA rammed down our throat.... Subsequently, the same company shut down virtually all manufacturing lines and relocated them to Ireland, Puerto Rico, and Singapore,

NAFTA, in case you are unaware of it, is an agreement involving US, Canada and Mexico - neither Ireland, nor Singapore have anything to do with it.  Admittedly, Puerto Rico does: as part of the US. So, unless your premise is somehow that the company moved manufacturing to Puerto Rico because it is easier to sell from there to Canada and Mexico, I really have hard time seeing what is it that you are claiming.

The fact is that NAFTA or no NAFTA, much of manufacturing would have left the US. That would have been the case even in the absence of ANY free trade agreements - in that case much more of US manufacturing would have, probably, gone to China (in fact, there are many reasons to believe that even much of what stayed in the US would have gone to China - but that is a separate matter). Of course, US could have avoide this by actually increasing protectionist barriers as compared to what they have been previously. That would have had an admirable effect of a substantially smaller US economy - the opposite of prosperity in which all of Americans would have shared.

I mean, for god“s sake. You have been borrowing like crazy for decades, with hardly a trace of either inflationary pressures or interest rate increases. Without trade this would have been impossible. Remember that 2008 recession? All those dreams of higher "tradeless" wages: the moment those wages would have started appearing, Fed would have had to jack up interest rates to make sure they (and employment) go down. And it would have been doing it repeatedly, always, as a matter of policy. A recession like the one in 2008 would have seen no monetary or fiscal expansion as a policy response - either would have been impossible. Want to make sure that your grandchildren dream of your era“s living standards (and curse you for taking them forever out of their reach)? Block trade.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »

Trumka is going to be a very important piece of this general election in the Rust Belt
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

High energy speaker after high energy speaker. Walsh and now the union men. No better reason to be hyped.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »

It was rough in the beginning but its gotten a lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 67  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies